speedo reverse but no forward

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ciruspilot

Reaction score
Hey anyone know why my speedo cable will spin in reverse but not in forward????

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Hey anyone know why my speedo cable will spin in reverse but not in forward????
Depending upon the year of your truck, you may or may not have a spedo cable.

I think it was in '92 that they stopped using a speedo cable.

I would guess that you need to replace your speedo cable.

Years ago, people used to put a reversible drill onto their speedo cable and run it in reverse to turn the odometer backwards. It is my understanding that the cable is twisted in one direction, and if it is reversed, it could unravel a little bit. Probably at ten mph it wold not unravel, but at the speed of a high speed drill going in reverse, it might. Again.. I don't know but I was told that one clue that your odometer may have been turned back is if the spedometer needle bounces as you drive forward.

Sounds like yours is fried.

OP
OP
C

ciruspilot

Reaction score
Sorry about the lack of info I gave.

I have an 89 ford bronco with a speedo cable.

The cable is not broke. Im assuming because with the cluster out I watch it turn when im in reverse. But it wont turn while im in drive.

Thats got me stumped.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Your speedometer cable runs into your transfer case. It is attached to a plastic gear. IF the gear was stripped, (missing teeth) then it wouldn't move the cable in either direction.

Try this.. go under your truck and see if the cable is fully inserted. It takes an 11mm socket in my '90.

I needed to use a universal. If it is fully seated, then pull it out, and inspect the plastic gear. IF that is in good shape, get an assistant to watch the cable from inside the cab, while you spin it in both directions.

If although you spin it in both directions, and your assistant observes that it only goes in one direction, then there is no doubt that you have a break in the cable. Replace it and you should be good to go.

joe

OP
OP
C

ciruspilot

Reaction score
checked the gear and looks almost new. only had the truck for about a week

if it the cable is broken why would it spin one way at the dash and not the other??

Hop's Bronco

Reaction score
If your cable is broken in such a way that it hooks the other side of the cable in reverse and slips when it is in drive that will be that cause of why it only spins in one direction.... I had one do that to me on my 85 chevy..... Take it off and see if you can slid the inner cable out and check it....

OP
OP
C

ciruspilot

Reaction score
Guess I'll take off the spedometer sensor tomorow and inspect the cable goin into it. It looked fine on the cluster end.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
If your cable is broken in such a way that it hooks the other side of the cable in reverse and slips when it is in drive that will be that cause of why it only spins in one direction.... I had one do that to me on my 85 chevy..... Take it off and see if you can slid the inner cable out and check it....
I agree with Hopps. Your problem is mechanical, and has nothing to do with the sensor. IMO.

I'll bet ya a nickel that your problem is in the cable.

joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Big_Ford_POS

Reaction score
Well in my F250 (which has the same set up as you) the speedo was jumping for a week or so before it died. Well I replaced the gear on the cable but it didn't fix it. I had to replace the one on the output shaft also. If you pll it apart and then put in back together temp without the gears. You can bring both to the dealer. They need to know the "color" and the number of teeth to order the right ones. Now after I replaced them it worked but it jumped around. I rplaced the cable also and it worked like a champ. I guess that cable is very sensitive and the smallest drag with make it crazy so if you go through the trouble of replacing it do the cable as well. Now when you pull apart the dash, make sure you spin the back of the gauge to make sure it works in both directions. Now these gauges won't "reverse" the odometer, it counts miles in both directions. If your speedometer is jumping around its because the two "plastic" gears in the tail housing is worn out. It normal and my f250 died at 196,000 miles. So no big worry it a good weekend job. And while you have the tail housing of the t-case off replace the rear seal and out some oil on it when you install it like you would a oil-filter gasket. Good luck and any questions let me know...

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
checked the gear and looks almost new. only had the truck for about a weekif it the cable is broken why would it spin one way at the dash and not the other??
Well imagine that you have a cable within a sheath, and you twist it, twist it, twist it, twist it, twist it, twist it, twist it, twist it, twist it, twist it, twist it, twist it, in one direction and it finally snaps. The little cable fibers are twisted like little prickly springs all in one direction. So when you continue to twist it forward, the little springs slide over one another. BUT... when you go in the other direction, the little burs just happen to catch enough to spin the cable in that direction.

OP
OP
C

ciruspilot

Reaction score
I got ya. It looks as if someone replaced the gear and when that didnt work they quit. Guess I'll try and do the cable today. Then Ill tackle the gas gauge that stays on empty all the time. :mellow:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I got ya. It looks as if someone replaced the gear and when that didnt work they quit. Guess I'll try and do the cable today. Then Ill tackle the gas gauge that stays on empty all the time. :mellow:
Well I guess with these gas prices, it'll either be your tank, or your wallet that'll be empty :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh BTW, you may want to add info about your rig in your signature file so that we have some additional background info when we are helping to troubleshoot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno