header woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Bronco58

Reaction score
i currently run shorty headers, to tru dual exhaust, 2.5 inch, i broke my collector ****** so i need to replace them, i cant decide if i want to go with longtubes or go with shorties again, some ppl say shorty are better for trucks with big tires because they deliver more torque, some ppl say longtubes will give more torque over shorties, ANYONE ever experimented?

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
i currently run shorty headers, to tru dual exhaust, 2.5 inch, i broke my collector ****** so i need to replace them, i cant decide if i want to go with longtubes or go with shorties again, some ppl say shorty are better for trucks with big tires because they deliver more torque, some ppl say longtubes will give more torque over shorties, ANYONE ever experimented?
I've heard the opposite. full leangth headers give out more hp and torqe. not sure myself but i just bought a set of headers so ill see what happens.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Years ago when I had more $$$ than common sense I put my freshly built 460 on a dyno for a few days to break it in, tune it & test it. I already knew I was going to be running a set of longtube fenderwell-exit headers from L&L but since it was all bolted up to the dyno anyways the builder cut me a deal on the Dyno time and we goofed around with it for a couple extra days trying out different carb/intake combos. We ran the longtubes most of the time because they gave him the best numbers, but the shorty's weren't all that bad either. We made a bunch of 420 Horse pulls and when nothing was changed but the headers it was still pulling 417 or so. It was only a 2 or 3 horse difference. Granted these were just shorty's that were lying around in the shop & happen to fit, so maybe a "tuned" shorty would perform just as well. I DO know that the additional tube length of the longtubes helps by using the exhaust pulses to "pull" exhaust out of the cylinders (scavenging effect), the short headers just aren't long enough to scavenge effectively.

The only other consideration would be fitting them. Shortys are a fairly simple bolt-on. Snaking a set of longtubes in can make you throw things at the truck. I've personally seen this sort of thing push a *very* patient man right over the edge. Just something to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke