Brake fuse blows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

esebm

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 96 302 Bronco (360k miles).

The other day the brake fuse blew and when I replaced it, it kept blowing.

I noticed that this electrical thingy (switch?) on top of the master cylinder was soaked in, presumably, brake fluid. I dryed it out and the fuse stopped blowing. However, 2 days later it happened again, this switch thing was soaked again. Strangely, there wasn't any fluid residue anywhere around the cylinder, although the brake fluid level in the master was down quite a bit. I checked the inside and outside of the four wheels to see if there's a leak but everything looks really dry.

Does anyone have an idea why this thing on top of the master is soaked?

Thanks,

Ed

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Are you usin the right fuse? If not that could be why its blowing if the fuse is too weak. And for the master cylinder that seal on cap could be bad and lettin fluid seep on the the cap.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

That is the cruise control deactivation switch -

is this it? http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/242143/...ze/img_2572.jpg pic by trucky

if so;

Recall Info for 94-02 F-150, 97-02 Expedition, 98-02 Lincoln Navigators & 94-96 Bronco Source: by trucks.about.com

"September 7, 2005

Ford Cruise Control Recall

Ford Motor Company announced a massive safety recall on 1994-2002 vehicles to correct a problem that could cause the cruise control deactivation switch to overheat and create an underhood fire.

Models Affected by Ford's Cruise Control Recall

1994-2002 Ford F-150s

1997-2002 Ford Expeditions

1998-2002 Lincoln Navigators

1994-1996 Ford Broncos with factory cruise control

Ford found that brake fluid could leak through the cruise deactivation switch into the cruise system's electrical components and cause corrosion. Corrosion can cause a short and keep the cruise control from working, but in some cases it can lead to a higher flow of current that can overheat and cause a fire at the switch.

Fixing the Problem

To repair trucks, Ford will install a jumper harness between the cruise control deactivation switch and the cruise mechanism. The harness will act as a circuit breaker and will turn off the current at the switch if the switch becomes shorted.

Parts for the repair weren't available as of the recall date, so Ford asks customers to take their vehicles to dealerships to have the cruise control deactivated until the harnesses are in stock.

Watch for a recall notice by mail if your vehicle is affected. You can read more details at www.genuineservice.com.

UPDATE: August, 2006"

Since then Ford is recalling em again

Update: February 27, 2008

"Cars:

Parts for the speed control switch recall will be available for some passenger cars in March, 2008. Affected customers will receive a postcard from recall headquarters instructing them to make an appointment with their dealer to have the recall completed. However, Ford urges owners of recalled vehicles to bring their vehicle to their dealer as soon as possible to have the speed control switch disconnected to eliminate the risk of fire.

Trucks:

Parts for the speed control switch recall will be available for trucks in June, 2008. Affected customers will receive a postcard from recall headquarters instructing them to make an appointment with their dealer to have the recall completed. However, Ford urges owners of recalled vehicles to bring their vehicle to their dealer as soon as possible to have the speed control switch disconnected to eliminate the risk of fire."

GET IF FIXED ASAP!

If you park it in a garage, well, Don't!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

esebm

Reaction score
Yes, that image shows the switch that I was talking about.

If I just disconnect it for now that should be enough, right? If this switch leaks, should I replace it or is that part of the recall?

And, btw, the fuse is a 15Amp, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Disconnect it and wrap it it electrical or better, harness tape (doesn't leave the sticky goo)

Still, take it ASAP to a dealer to get on the recall list for the new parts.

OP
OP
E

esebm

Reaction score
Exactly!

As I'm typing, my wife is driving by the Ford dealership to have this recall thing done. They have the parts in stock.

The funny thing is how I ended up finding this blown fuse in the first place: A couple of days ago my wife complained that she could start the engine but the gear shift lever wouldn't go out of Park. I assumed is was some mechanical thing and lowered the entire steering column but couldn't see a thing. So I removed the shift shaft on top of the column and then I noticed this solenoid sitting on the column. I wasn't sure what this thing did, so I took it out and checked it with an Ohm-Meter. No short. So I put everything back together after I found on override to this shift problem.

The next evening when my wife came home, I noticed that the brake lights didn't work and it dawned on me that there could be a connection with the shift problem. I replaced the 15 Amp fuse and the shifting problem was fixed. The next day the fuse blew again and I finally noticed the leaking cruise control deactivation switch. A sort of roundabout way to find the problem.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Good!

Btw, do you have an Owner's guide for it? It shows the fuse/pwr distr box diagrams /fuse sizes as well as the brake light/E4OD shift interaction.

Here is one on-line (besides the dnld @ the Ford site I cited, above)

Owners Guide (Manual) 1996 Bronco Source: by Ford via analogstereo.com

"If you need to shift out of P (Park) by using the alternate procedure described above, it is possible that a fuse has blown and that your brakelamps may also not be functional. Please refer to the chapter titled Servicing Your Bronco in this Owner Guide for instructions on checking and replacing fuses..."

be well!

OP
OP
E

esebm

Reaction score
My wife had the recall thing done yesterday at an Austin Ford dealership.

Since they needed to use the override starting procedure, they know that the fuse was blown and my wife mentioned it too. They told her this recall had nothing to do with the fuse and they didn't even look at it! They let her drive off without brake lights! A Ford dealership that boasts having the best customer service in Central Texas in their TV commercials!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Write em a letter just like what you just wrote.

I've seen people go into dealerships/repair shops for routine brake jobs and come out with thumb busting brake pulls. Some "mechanics" use vise grips to close-off the rubber brake hoses.

be well!

OP
OP
E

esebm

Reaction score
I already did send a letter to their customer service department.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke