Rhino Liner! (And Clones)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Ok, back when I posted my intro, (here - http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13356) I mentioned I was going to paint the outside, in a Rhino Liner-like material.

Well, last weekend, I did just that. 'Before' pics are in the previous thread. Here are the 'Afters'

bronco_1_sm.JPGbronco_2_sm.JPG

bronco_3_sm.JPGbronco_6_sm.JPG

Yeah, i know it looks like a big avacado. But I like that deep green. I'm toying with the idea of doing the inside all in tan / saddle.

Oh, you can also see how I got the tow hooks on the front, under the bumper. I recall there were some questions about that.

bronco_4_sm.JPGbronco_5_sm.JPG

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well, that was certainly ONE way to go, I'll give you that much :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> How far down did you take the paint ? I looked into something like this for a 75' T-bird I had (yeah, I know. Silly mistake. Don't know what I was thinking at the time but hey, I did what I did) and nobody commercial would touch it unless they had a bare-metal surface to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstevenson509

Reaction score
Hahaha I like the tan interior idea for the avocado..

I'm curious to see how well it holds up, keep us posted!

I think we've all wondered, now we know, so thanks!

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Well, that was certainly ONE way to go, I'll give you that much :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> How far down did you take the paint ? I looked into something like this for a 75' T-bird I had (yeah, I know. Silly mistake. Don't know what I was thinking at the time but hey, I did what I did) and nobody commercial would touch it unless they had a bare-metal surface to work with.
The paint (Grizzly Grip by Midwest Chemicals) goes all the way down to the lip of the fenders and under the rocker panels. Past that is black Dupli-Color bed liner.

As far as surface prep went, I washed it with a power washer, then soked a greenie pad in Xylol and scuffed the surface paint all over. After that dried I just rolled on the first coat, let that set over night, and came back to do the 2nd coat and first touchup. That evening I pulled all the masking, then did the final touch up and replaced the mirrors, grill, and bumpers.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Oh, WOW, f*cking cool. So this is a driveway job ??? NOW I'm interested. Go & run that b*tch thru some scrub & bushes and let us know how it holds up. I'll come by & throw empties at it. They just leave little chips in the factory paint on mine but I'd like to see how far they bounce off yours.

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Oh, WOW, f*cking cool. So this is a driveway job ??? NOW I'm interested. Go & run that b*tch thru some scrub & bushes and let us know how it holds up. I'll come by & throw empties at it. They just leave little chips in the factory paint on mine but I'd like to see how far they bounce off yours.
Yup, did it all in my garage. $78/gallon for the Grizzly Grip. Weather's kinda crappy today, so I just did some puttering around. Next weekend this stuff will be 100% cured and I can go out and see if I can abuse it.

cj_92Bronco

Reaction score
Yup, did it all in my garage. $78/gallon for the Grizzly Grip. Weather's kinda crappy today, so I just did some puttering around. Next weekend this stuff will be 100% cured and I can go out and see if I can abuse it.

Just asking, how many gallons did it take for the whole body, i plan on doing my hard top in rhino lining

Rob Yockey

Reaction score
I think it looks great. I seen a jeep that was done like that a couple of years ago. My bronco is in need of a new paint job and I might try puting some paint on liner her. Let me know if you have any problems down the road.

Rob

89eddie89

Reaction score
I'm going to do just that. Pick up a winch bumper from Jeff's, and I'm fabbing my opwn custom rear bumper, along the lines of the modular getup from Duff's. Black, I think.

Yeah I have considered fabbing up my own rear bumper, but I am trying to find a custom bumper already made...

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
YEAH,LOOKS GREAT I'VE ALREADY DONE MY TOP, WE SPRAY DURA-GUARD LINER HERE AT OUR SHOP.. AND BASICLY WAS THINKING ABOUT DOING MY ROCKERS UP TO THE BODY LINE ON MY 85...SERIOUSLY LET US KNOW HOW THE INTERIOR HOLDS UP...I'VE ALREADY PULLED THE CARPET OUT MINE FOR THE FULL RUBBER STYLE MAT...SOUNDS LIKE IT WOULD WORK GREAT...KEEP US POSTED...

eazy-e

Reaction score
This is so RAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it. I just did my Tail gate with Herculiner. Cover up some rust spots on the very bottom.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Damn man, thats pretty cool, how hard was it do? Also do you think it would cover small hole where trim fell my truck, or its it not heavy enoght?

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Ok, back when I posted my intro, (here - http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13356) I mentioned I was going to paint the outside, in a Rhino Liner-like material.
Well, last weekend, I did just that. 'Before' pics are in the previous thread. Here are the 'Afters'
thud.gif

HOLY COW! I like it, never heard of the Grizzly stuff though. I had a buddy in upstate SC use rhino liner on the entire outside of his Toyota pickup truck, two tone gray and green. Said it cost him $7,400.00 to have it done but he could bounce it off trees on the trail and never leave a mark.

Now you just need a good washing and your ready...SimpsonCarWash.gif

Nice job!

Rick in Orlando

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
good chOb man!

old school hr type look; trend seems to being back to the late 40'/50's w/people rolling on flat Ford black; but better w/Rhino etc.!

and you saved on doing a body shop's lousy prep/paint ob cost as well!

Broncobill78

Reaction score
old school hr type look; trend seems to being back to the late 40'/50's w/people rolling on flat Ford black; but better w/Rhino etc.!
Sort of a 4x4 rat rod. Simple, cheap, basic & effective. That's a hard combo to beat. It's something that almost anyone can do at home without needing to shell out $3K to a shop.

Hop's Bronco

Reaction score
How would you think it would do as a sound deadener? My thoughts is to use it behind all the panels and under the carpet to cut down on the road noise.... How thick is it??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke