Where To Mount My Fog Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_Bronco

Reaction score
Okay, I jusr bought some 6" round fog lights, and need to know the best place to mount them. I was thinking about 6" or so apart on the front bumper.

If you have any ideas, let me know

Sory about double posting this topic. I don't know how to remove it, so can a mod please do it for me. Thanks.

My phone like froze but still had service so I pressed enter again, but then it double posted this topic

Last edited by a moderator:

89Bronco58

Reaction score
the bumper will work fine, or you could get a brushguard or pushbar that accepts lights and mount them on there

Broncobill78

Reaction score
You should remember that due to the nature of the beam foglights should be mounted as low as possible. The whole idea is for them to get down *under* the fog and illumionate the road from below. Mounting them much above the bumper is *exceptionally* counter-productive. They should ideally be mounted below the front bumper and angled slightly downward.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
You should remember that due to the nature of the beam foglights should be mounted as low as possible. The whole idea is for them to get down *under* the fog and illumionate the road from below. Mounting them much above the bumper is *exceptionally* counter-productive. They should ideally be mounted below the front bumper and angled slightly downward.
Hmmm, so I'm guessing that these are mounted too high? :-"

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?act...ost&id=6117

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Uh, those lights are mounted too high for fog lights, but are fine if those are flood-pattern or narrow beam. AS for the seat covers....

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Hmmm, so I'm guessing that these are mounted too high? :-" http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?act...ost&id=6117
Yeah, as a rule you don't want highbeams mounted that far up, they distract oncoming drivers. But you *have* to appreciate good set of beams & a nice set of flares.

89Eddie89: Generally speaking you want to mount fogs as low as possible to get the beams down on the roadway, under the bumper is best. Driving lights which act as auxiliary headlights are best mounted on top of the bumper or somewhere in the grill area but not any higher & off-road lights which are usually high-intensity narrow beams or wide-angle floods are are the ones you want to mount high up on the roof or roll-bar.

bidibronco

Reaction score
I want to get a set of the police spot lights for my Bronco, got one on the wifs (spelled corectly) old sherriff car and it's effin cool....

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I agree with BB78. As an example, the four lights I had on my Ranger are shown in the pic below. The two lights on the winch brush guard are Warn flood lights. They throw a wide, 180* beam of light ahead and to the sides about 50-100 feet. The two KC Daylighters on the showbar in the bed (not a rollbar) are their high-intensity pencil beam lights. these shine a good mile ahead of you. But it's like shining a flashlight on one spot, with a very narrow beam. These are bright enough to penetrate through some really thick fog, but are not legal for road use. Driving with these on in a fog is like staring at a white sheet about two inches from your face. Same principle applies with your hi-beams vs low-beams in the fog. The brighter light gives back more glare from the moisture in the air. As BB78 stated, fog lights are best used as low to the ground as can reassonably be mounted to light up the road in front of you. Mounting those under the bumper is about as low as you can get on the very front of the rig, but the lights are then the first thing to get hit. That reminds me of my 2006 Dodge truck, with the broken front spoiler and air vent on the driver's side. I've seen some Dodge trucks with driving or fog lights in that location. First little mud hole you go through and they're broken. I think mounting a pair of lights inside holes in the front bumper gives you the best compromise, unless you have a brush guard to mount them on. JSM84

109518.jpg

bidibronco

Reaction score
Hey, I just got a cool idea... Cage a set up real good and mount them to the drop brackets on the axle.. not sure how good they would be but that would be cool, and if it worked, talk about LOW to the ground... Humna... need to patend that thing... (sorry, cable TV isn't working at the time...)

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Yes. If you want them mounted up high then use hi-intensity narrow beams or wide-angle floods. Ideally you'd use a pair of both to provide the best possible illumination. I like to use a set of 4 with the wide-angles on the outside and turned just a bit to the sides so that the beams overlap in the center but do more to light up the sides of the truck and the narrow-beams in the middle about 3' apart. If you like to 'wheel at night you might also want to consider small "botton" lights in the wheelwells. Having "rock lights" that illuminate the area right around each tire REALLY helps a spotter at night. You just can't run some trails without a spotter (or spotterS) outside the rig directing you and if you haven't made it to where you need to be when the sun goes down having a few cheap lights in the wheelwells makes a HUGE difference. Run just ONE trail with them and you won't believe that you didn't install them sooner.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke