cracked heads 2.9L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bodlygo

Reaction score
Hi, i am new to the forums but i just bought a 1988 ranger xlt it has a 2.9L v6 but i need to know if theres a way to tell if my heads are cracked or healthy. thanks

viperfangs2

Reaction score
well is your truck acting up or are you just wondering how to tell if they are cracked? the best way to check them is to take them off and inspect them! A machine shop should be able to tell you if you aren't sure!!!

Post with some more info!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jersey

Reaction score
Hi, i am new to the forums but i just bought a 1988 ranger xlt it has a 2.9L v6 but i need to know if theres a way to tell if my heads are cracked or healthy. thanks
They do sell a kit that tests for blown head gaskets/heads. Its simple to use, and fairly accurate. It basically tests for exhaust gasses in the coolant. I get mine from the snap-on dealer, but I know I have seen simpler kits at local parts stores.

OP
OP
B

bodlygo

Reaction score
well is your truck acting up or are you just wondering how to tell if they are cracked? the best way to check them is to take them off and inspect them! A machine shop should be able to tell you if you aren't sure!!!

Post with some more info!!
it's not acting up but when it gets in the 40's weather wise it smokes white and it scares me alittle and i really didnt want to have to pull the heads.

thanks

OP
OP
B

bodlygo

Reaction score
They do sell a kit that tests for blown head gaskets/heads. Its simple to use, and fairly accurate. It basically tests for exhaust gasses in the coolant. I get mine from the snap-on dealer, but I know I have seen simpler kits at local parts stores.
thanks for the info i will look into it =]

viperfangs2

Reaction score
it's not acting up but when it gets in the 40's weather wise it smokes white and it scares me alittle and i really didnt want to have to pull the heads.thanks

Yeah when i gets cold your car will make white some because the air coming out of your exhaust is hotter then the air out side!!!!

OP
OP
B

bodlygo

Reaction score
Yeah when i gets cold your car will make white some because the air coming out of your exhaust is hotter then the air out side!!!!
okk thanks it just scared me a little because the North American 2.9L is really bad about cracking heads and i know white smoke is a sign of water getting into your exhaust.

thanks,scott

viperfangs2

Reaction score
just dont ever let it over heat!!! be mindful of this and take good care of the truck and you will have a long lasting truck!!

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
okk thanks it just scared me a little because the North American 2.9L is really bad about cracking heads and i know white smoke is a sign of water getting into your exhaust.thanks,scott
Hi Scott,

You're right about white smoke in the exhaust being water vapor.

Often we get some condensation in the exhaust system, and it evaporates out from the heat of the exhaust gases. During the summer months it is not usually noticable, but as you noted in the winter months it is. In a perfect world, Hydrocarbons, if fully oxidized would emit nothing but CO2 (Carbon dioxide) and H2O (water) in the exhaust gases. Therefore you *may* continue to see a little steam mixed in your exhaust gases during the winter months even after the condensate evaporates out. However if YOUR engine seems to steam longer, or more, than others, then you may want to consider Jersey's suggestion.

IF your oil looks a little creamy, that is a sure sign of water in your oil.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
B

bodlygo

Reaction score
Hi Scott,

You're right about white smoke in the exhaust being water vapor.

Often we get some condensation in the exhaust system, and it evaporates out from the heat of the exhaust gases. During the summer months it is not usually noticable, but as you noted in the winter months it is. In a perfect world, Hydrocarbons, if fully oxidized would emit nothing but CO2 (Carbon dioxide) and H2O (water) in the exhaust gases. Therefore you *may* continue to see a little steam mixed in your exhaust gases during the winter months even after the condensate evaporates out. However if YOUR engine seems to steam longer, or more, than others, then you may want to consider Jersey's suggestion.

IF your oil looks a little creamy, that is a sure sign of water in your oil.

Hope this helps.

[/quote

thanks i checked the oil for the milkyness you spoke of and its fine,i am a mech in training i'm still in high school and i am taking the auto program they offer.i think it is a vary good program because i am learning alot .i just wanted to get some info on this motor because it's the first time i have delt with one.i just turn 16 and the 2.9 is in my first truck, i got it for Christmas it's a 1988 ranger xlt. thanks alot

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
thanks i checked the oil for the milkyness you spoke of and its fine,i am a mech in training i'm still in high school and i am taking the auto program they offer.i think it is a vary good program because i am learning alot .i just wanted to get some info on this motor because it's the first time i have delt with one.i just turn 16 and the 2.9 is in my first truck, i got it for Christmas it's a 1988 ranger xlt. thanks alot
You can learn alot by hanging in these forums. I just mentioned to one of my son's friends who is a couple of years out of high school, and working as a mechanic, that if he was interested in increaseing his diagnostic trouble shooting skills that he should participate in forums like these and see how well he can help others figure out their problems.

Don't afraid to ask questions, or to think ;-)

Welcome!

joe

OP
OP
B

bodlygo

Reaction score
thank yall for your help i'm glad to know that my truck is healthy it is my first truck and i want to to run good thanks again

,scott

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar