1969 My new baby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolio1

Reaction score
This is my new toy. I live in California. Here early broncos are very expensive. Any rust bucket is $10K. I got a great deal but I had to pay $1140 just to ship it from Alabama. The engine is very strong. The trans is in great shape. It is candy apple cinamon. The only thing missing is power brakes. It does not like to stop. I am buying a soft top and plan to add a stereo. Any information regarding disk brakes conversion is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for looking.

bronco1.jpg

bronco3.jpg

bronco5.jpg

bronco7.jpg

bronco9.jpg

bronco10.jpg

bronco11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

blb4

Reaction score
This is my new toy. I live in California. Here early broncos are very expensive. Any rust bucket is $10K. I got a great deal but I had to pay $1140 just to ship it from Alabama. The engine is very strong. The trans is in great shape. It is candy apple cinamon. The only thing missing is power brakes. It does not like to stop. I am buying a soft top and plan to add a stereo. Any information regarding disk brakes conversion is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for looking.
Is it a dana 30 or has someone put in a 44??

TX '73

Reaction score
Nice bronco - 1140 must not have included the purchase price, dugh

Last edited by a moderator:

blb4

Reaction score
Nice bronco - 1140 must not have included the purchase price, dugh
Bronco belongs to coolio 1 sorry for the confusion I was trying to figure out how to post something. sorry blb4

Chicago21

Reaction score
Great looking truck. I'm just now beginning my search for an EB. After poking around on a bunch of different sites and forums I've noticed that people talk about EB's being more expensive in California. Why is that? I live in Chicago but my wife is from LA and I thought I would buy out there and either drive or ship it back. A friend of a friend directed me to RockyRoad Broncos. All those trucks look great but seem very expensive given some of the blogs I've read about buying a project and what needs to be put into it. I'm looking for a daily driver with 4x4 looks and modest capability. Any advice for a newbie? Specifics to keep an eye out for? Manual or automatic? What should I expect to spend? Thanks in advance for any advice!

OP
OP
C

coolio1

Reaction score
Great looking truck. I'm just now beginning my search for an EB. After poking around on a bunch of different sites and forums I've noticed that people talk about EB's being more expensive in California. Why is that? I live in Chicago but my wife is from LA and I thought I would buy out there and either drive or ship it back. A friend of a friend directed me to RockyRoad Broncos. All those trucks look great but seem very expensive given some of the blogs I've read about buying a project and what needs to be put into it. I'm looking for a daily driver with 4x4 looks and modest capability. Any advice for a newbie? Specifics to keep an eye out for? Manual or automatic? What should I expect to spend? Thanks in advance for any advice!
I think the reason the EB are more expensive in Cali has to do with the weather and frankly the movie industry. I have seen several EB used on big movies llike Terminator. Here a rust bucket is 10K. I spent several months and looked all over the internet. There is a site called Classic Broncos. I found my ride and I only payed $6K for it. I was VERY lucky. The MD that sold it to me knew he could get much more but wanted to sell it due to his wife getting prego. This is not a kid friendly rig. He wanted 8500 and that would have been a good deal. Again, I was very lucky and willing to move fast once I found it. 6K cash made the deal. I would have paid 8K no problem. To ship it cross country was $1100 usign DAS transport. It took 14 days from Alabama to Cali.

It is not perfect but the body, engine and Trans were in good shape. It has ps but no pb. The drum brakes are marginal at best. A little scary since we are all used to power brakes. I drive a new Acura TL 6 speed with brembro brakes and almost jumped out the first time I drove it and went to stop. It needs a top and a speare tire. It does not have a heater but again due to the weather I was ok with that. I personally wanted a manual trans. The early broncos had ruff automatics and I feel it takes away when off road. The early autos do not shift very smooth. My rig had a floor shift conversion rather than three on the tree. It is a 3 speed and has tons of torque. The original 302 V8 was replaced in the 70s with a 351 Windsor. The engine is a monster but gets VERY poor milage. I only use it on the week-ends since it only gets around 10mpg. The original 302V8 will get around 10-12mpg with either auto or manual.

I gotten offers as high as 13K but I want to keep it. They appreciate year over year. The older the more rare they become. I can go months here in Cali and not ever see one on the road.

Be careful with rust. Many EB owners use plating to hide rust. Also you may want ps and pb. Without them your wife would not be able to drive it. Also look at Ebay from time to time you find good deals. The EB from california also have no rust. When buying an EB rust is the #1 enemy. Look at Broncograveyard. They have tons of parts and will give you an idea of the cost of parts.

Plan on taking your time. Currently there is several listed on Classic Broncos and Ebay worth looking at. Rocky Road has nice rigs but they are very expensive and have been restored. Plan to spend time doing research but be fast when you find your baby. They sell fast if the price is right.

Keep me updated. Let me know how it goes. I had to transfer titles, deal with out of State registration, and smog issues. . I have learned alot.

Good luck.

Gabriel

S_bolt19

Reaction score
...Rocky Road has nice rigs but they are very expensive and have been restored...
Nice ride you got there. I really like that color. Question though, do you have front disc right now? If you don't then I would very strongly suggest that you do those before you do the rear discs. If you do, then the only kit you should even think about is Chuck's at BC Broncos. The kit installed in about 3 hours for me.

I am gonna stop you before you promote Rocky Roads any further. They are, without a doubt, one of the worst companies out there. They are charging Ferrari prices for Yugo product. There are several threads on Classic Bronco about how they have ripped people off. One in particular that comes to mind is a US military man who got back from overseas and dropped close to 30k on one from those guys and had to spend more to have problems that RR caused, fixed.

I personally have seen a couple of RR restos, and for the price the individuals paid, the got screwed. Any one of their EBs, I can build for half to a third what they are asking and give a final product that is twice the vehicle. Even Stacy David (GearZ on ESPN) only got in the 35k range for Crazy Horse and that was the most publicized & documented build up of any Early Bronco out there. Put it this way, I wouldn't touch a RR Bronco with your money even if I were to get to keep the keys.

I don't mean to jump down your throat on RR, but they are pretty....how shall I say this....inventful, with their builds and, modestly saying, overpriced. :-"

OP
OP
C

coolio1

Reaction score
Nice ride you got there. I really like that color. Question though, do you have front disc right now? If you don't then I would very strongly suggest that you do those before you do the rear discs. If you do, then the only kit you should even think about is Chuck's at BC Broncos. The kit installed in about 3 hours for me.
I am gonna stop you before you promote Rocky Roads any further. They are, without a doubt, one of the worst companies out there. They are charging Ferrari prices for Yugo product. There are several threads on Classic Bronco about how they have ripped people off. One in particular that comes to mind is a US military man who got back from overseas and dropped close to 30k on one from those guys and had to spend more to have problems that RR caused, fixed.

I personally have seen a couple of RR restos, and for the price the individuals paid, the got screwed. Any one of their EBs, I can build for half to a third what they are asking and give a final product that is twice the vehicle. Even Stacy David (GearZ on ESPN) only got in the 35k range for Crazy Horse and that was the most publicized & documented build up of any Early Bronco out there. Put it this way, I wouldn't touch a RR Bronco with your money even if I were to get to keep the keys.

I don't mean to jump down your throat on RR, but they are pretty....how shall I say this....inventful, with their builds and, modestly saying, overpriced. :-"
Bolt19.

Thank you for the advice. I do not have disk up front yet. That is my first goal. I will consider BC Broncos for the kit.

I am not interested in promoting RR. They seem over priced and done in a hurry... I take your word that indeed they are taking advantage of people with little knowledge regarding EBs. I know RR gets alot of exposure on the internet but I for one took my time when I was looking. Private party in my opinion is the way to go. Again, thank you for your advice.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
That is one nice looking Bronco you got there, certainly more impressive than any Jeep one will find on the beaches in Cali.

I am glad to see that you are a part of a Bronco family :) I like your Dad's half cab Bronc too!

Enjoy your new baby.

joe

OP
OP
C

coolio1

Reaction score
Congrats,Very nice Bronco!

Rob

Thanks Rob. I am working on brake conversion to disk at front. The brakes are kind of scary now. The cost of the kit is $800. They use an F150 kit. I just don't know if I can do it myself.

Gabriel

OP
OP
C

coolio1

Reaction score
Now, how did you install that roll cage? Do you weld that bad boy to the frame?

Yes the roll bar went to the frame. I just need some brakes. I am afraid to drive it due to poor brakes. Drums all around....

OP
OP
C

coolio1

Reaction score

Have you found anything?

Coolio1

Rednek

Reaction score
"candy apple cinamon" huh... well thats very hard to imagine because candy comes in tons of colors. apples are red or green and cinamon is brown. but okay

nice ride anyways

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke