Name that Differential challenge!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
Every stock diff I've seen has larger holes where you can take the spider gears out in order to install a mini spool, this one obviously would make that pretty tough, wondering if this is some sort of factory limited slip or something.

IMG_2637.JPG

OP
OP
Broncosaurus!

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
No indication, but it does have spider gears and operated pretty much like an open diff to me, I could burn the inside tire in a corner, but in a straight line it spun both.

IMG_2636.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncobill78

Reaction score
No indication, but it does have spider gears and operated pretty much like an open diff to me, I could burn the inside tire in a corner, but in a straight line it spun both.
Best way to tell is to jack both wheels off the ground & spin one by hand. If the opposite tire spins in the same direction you have a limited slip differential, if it spins in the opposite direction it's a standard or "open" differential. By the way, they're commonly refered to as *open* differentials because the differential case is "open" like what you were expecting to find. Now maybe someone else will jump in and correct me *again* <grin> but I think you may have out-thunk yourself by ordering the mini-spool first because it's always been *my* understanding that they pretty much only fit *open* differentials. You don't have an open diff, now maybe you can pick one up at a local boneyard for a few bux (I've done THAT before and it cost me $40). At this point you're probably best off either ordering yourself a regular spool or picking up a junkyard 3rd member w/an open diff. No matter how you cut it I'm pretty sure that what you have won't work with what you have.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
im sorry but i dont know *** a spool is or a mini-spool. anyone care to shed any light on the subject for me.
No problem. All a spool is is someting that eliminates the differential all-together. You press the axle-shafts directly into the spool and it mechanically locks everythign together as if there was just a single axle shaft running from one tire to the other. This is kinda rough on roads because whenever you make a turn the inside tire covers less distance than the outside tire (a differential is what takes care of this in street vehicles & that's WHY it's called a differential because it it compensates for the *differential* in tire speeds between the inside & outside tire when you turn. Waay back in the day it was called a "compensating gear" because that's what it did, it *compensated* for the speed differential) A spool does NOT differentiate tire speeds so you'll always scrub a tire on hard surfaces. For off-road only trucks this is fine because the soft dirt or sand will allow one tire to slip and that will take care of the problem. A mini-spool does basically the same thing but it's smaller and can be installed into an open carrier differential saving time, hassles and $$$. A true spool will have the ring-gear bolted to it and the axle shafts pressed into either end. Spools are pretty strong, mini-spools work well in some applications but not all since they aren't as strong and use the factory open differential carrier, a full spool is usually much stronger but it requires more work to install.

This page may explain it to you better than I can: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limited-sli...fferentials.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Broncosaurus!

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
I have a full spool for it, so I wont need the old diff, looks like she'll be going on eBay as a Trak-lock, they seem to fetch about $200 in used condition. Oh and since it is out of the truck already I can't do the spin the wheel trick and never thought to do it before I took it out, just figured it was an open diff, although the more I think about the times I have been stuck or trying to pull out another stuck truck, power did sort of shift back and forth between the wheels....hmmm...oh well I can't wait to burn the **** out of my no longer necessary 31" street tires :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo