1979 Bronco / Ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socronaut

Reaction score
I have been searching for a very basic wiring diagram for my 79 bronco. Can someone give me a list of components involved. Reason I ask is I have 3 different diagrams now, one shows the fuse box involved, one doesn't, one involves an engine control module, once doesn't, etc. Can someone please explain what goes to what, please? The ignition switch, what wires go where, to where, etc.? Need help fast as I am going to an offroad event in the next two weeks. I also have a question about the terminal block. What does this look like? I have followed all the diagrams and none seem to match up.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

socronaut

Reaction score
Also been looking at a Haynes book as well. Do you know of a quick and easy solution?

78brxltnut

Reaction score
Hey,check out autozone.com click on parts, year,model and find tune up parts click on distributor,look carfully,you will see manuals see if that helps ill read my chilton book

OP
OP
S

socronaut

Reaction score
Well, the guy I bought it from had to rig the wiring to show me that it runs. I did what he did, rigging the wiring to get it started. Well one day I attempted to start it and nothing happened at all. I now have bought new components for the ignition/charging system. The ignition control module, can some tell me what each wire may go to?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, the guy I bought it from had to rig the wiring to show me that it runs. I did what he did, rigging the wiring to get it started. Well one day I attempted to start it and nothing happened at all. I now have bought new components for the ignition/charging system. The ignition control module, can some tell me what each wire may go to?
Do you know what type ignition system it is supposed to be? It makes a difference. I believe a stock 79 had the Duraspark ignition but it also came in different versions. Do you have a driver side wheel well mounted ignition module? If so describe the plugs, how many plugs and the color of the wires that go to each plug. If you can take a couple of pictures of your system and post them, that would help also.

If you don't have one, you might want to consider getting a factory ignition system harness, the one that ties the ignition module, distributor and coil together.

Good luck,

:)>-

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is entirely what you're looking for but here's the info on your ignition switch. I can't tell you exactly what color wire goes where but if you pull the switch out of the connector you can trace them back individually by matching the position shown here against what color wire is going to *that* position in the connector. I also included a couple pages on the fusable links and a diagram of where they can be found in the charging & ignition circuits. I'll keep flipping thru tha manuals to see if I have anything showing the ignition module and such

scan0003.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
I think Bill is on the track, I missed the fact that it was the ignition switch you were struggling with :duh:

:)>-

OP
OP
S

socronaut

Reaction score
Sorry guys. Let me explain where I am now. I have bought everything new. Aftermarket ignition switch (universal), fuse panel, coil, solenoid, wires, etc. Ignition switch is not the problem. Thinking my starter went bad. Brought the starter to Autozone to test and they said it was good. Right now I only have the ignition system wired up and I cannot get fire to the starter. I have been told that it is either the wires are corroded or my starter is bad, even if the tests show that it is good.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well I don't have anything *that* detailed at the moment, but why bother ? The universal ignition switch you have should have come with a diagram showing what leads are what. Just run yourself a new circuit for the whole thing & bypass what's in the truck now. that's what *I'd* do. If push really comes to shove then contact someone like Ron Francis Wireworks or painless wiring and buy either a whole kit to rewire the truck or just an ignition circuit and be done with it. You can drive yourself crazy trying to track down stuff like this and I just don't think it's worth it when you can run the new wires for it in an afternoon. That's what I'd do at any rate, just bypass the existing harness and fab yourself a new one.

Runnin'OnEmpty

Reaction score
Sorry guys. Let me explain where I am now. I have bought everything new. Aftermarket ignition switch (universal), fuse panel, coil, solenoid, wires, etc. Ignition switch is not the problem. Thinking my starter went bad. Brought the starter to Autozone to test and they said it was good. Right now I only have the ignition system wired up and I cannot get fire to the starter. I have been told that it is either the wires are corroded or my starter is bad, even if the tests show that it is good.
The starter circuit is very simple, if that's your only problem. You can short across the starter solenoid main terminals to get the starter to engage. If it does, then the starter is good. After that, touch a known 'hot' wire to the 'S' terminal on the starter solenoid. If the starter engages then, all you need to do is run a wire from the ignition switch START terminal to the 'S' terminal on the starter solenoid.

If the Bronco is an automatic, the start wire should go through a neutral start switch on the transmission, but it can be bypassed for testing purposes. In fact, a bad NSS might be the reason your starter won't engage now.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke