Won't stay running.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walnuts75

Reaction score
My '95 Bronco has a 351w and is fuel injected. Over the past year, I have been having some problems keeping her running. Actually it runs fine as long as I have my foot on the gas pedal. It won't idle, it just dies. What blows my mind is that even after it has warmed up, I still have to keep my foot on the gas so it wont die. The bronco will do this randomly. Sometimes it will run perfectly. I dont know if it a computer thing or a valve sticking somewhere. I have tried disconecting the battery so the computer would reset, but that didnt help. Additionally, sometimes when this problem occurs, the Bronco will somehow correct itself and the RPMs will shoot up to about 3000 then run fine!! I'm just really confused and sorry if this post sounds confusing.

OP
OP
walnuts75

walnuts75

Reaction score
It could very well be the Throttle Position Sensor. Here is a sight that really covers EFi engine theory well http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=64 .
Good luck,

:)>-
I read the link above, but I'm still lost. That seemed like a lot of information. The Bronco doesn't do this all the time, just randomly. My Haynes manual does not have this symptom included in its troubleshooting section. Where is the TPS anyway?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
I read the link above, but I'm still lost. That seemed like a lot of information. The Bronco doesn't do this all the time, just randomly. My Haynes manual does not have this symptom included in its troubleshooting section. Where is the TPS anyway?

yo!

Do you have a check engine light lit? anyway, do a Self Check

Self Test & Connector Location & pics, Bronco & Ford BEST PROCESS WITH DIAGRAMS! Source: by Ryan M

Ford went from two-digit to three-digit EEC IV Self-Test codes in 1991 to service the increasing number of service codes required to support various government On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) regulations. The phase-in from two-digit to three-digit codes started in the 1991 model year. 1996 Broncos have OBD II that has 4 numbers beginning with a Letter; usually a P

btw, a technician that is unfamiliar with the EEC Self-Test can mistakenly believe that continuous Memory codes are not present when they really are. He may run KOER Self-Test and get a pass code (111) and not realize that KOEO Self-Test must be run to receive any Continuous Memory codes. He may run KOEO Self-Test while counting MIL flashes and misinterpret the repeated hard fault pass code (111) to mean that Continuous Memory does not contain any codes.

or get it done Free at AutoZone or AAMCO (For a coupon for a free AAMCO External Diagnostic Service and other offers, click here.)

and read this:

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Function & Diagnosis TSB 94-26-4 for 93-95 - DTCs 121,122,123, 124, 125, OBD II Codes P0122 and P0123 Source: by Ford via miesk5 (Al M)) at comcast.net

& what Seabronc suggested Sensor, Throttle Position (TPS) Testing & Operational Description & Parameters (click on Sensors) Source: by Ryan M

Location; Throttle body

tps-plug--meter.jpg

by pepe

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Test in a 92 (loosen the 2 Phillips screws until voltage is less than 1.0 volts @ idle (.97 volts) Source: Bigric

OP
OP
walnuts75

walnuts75

Reaction score
Hey M, I checked out all those sites, but I havent had time to test it yet. Those sites seem to be pretty useful. Thanks for the help. This weekend I'll check everything out.

Also the check engine light never comes on which also confuses me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke