knocking when it starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thornbirdguy

Reaction score
i changed the oil in the truck the other day(yes, i call my bronco a truck).i have no clue what oil the previous owner used, but i have been using pennzoil 10w-40. well, for the first time i went with a k&n filter. now whenever i start it, it knocks for a few seconds and then goes normal, like when you first start it after an oil change. does the k&n have a bypass valve for cold oil startups? it doesn't just do it first thing in the morning, but every time i start it. the pressure has also dropped quite a bit(still have a factory gauge...only goes up to O or R in normal, used to go up to M ). 1 dry start when you first change the oil is bad enough, but now it dry starts every time. what can i do here? would switching to 20w-50 help any?

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Ok first I doubt it is the filter, I've used K&N for a few years now and never had a problem.

Next, how many miles and what motor also check your oil level.

I'm thinking if the oil level is where it should be then you might have a pump that is on it's way out.

If you have a 351W with over 100K miles the mains might be going as well. Do you hear it knocking when you are at idle for 2 or more minutes after the motor comes up to temp? You should see the oil pressure drop as well.

OP
OP
T

thornbirdguy

Reaction score
Ok first I doubt it is the filter, I've used K&N for a few years now and never had a problem.Next, how many miles and what motor also check your oil level.

I'm thinking if the oil level is where it should be then you might have a pump that is on it's way out.

If you have a 351W with over 100K miles the mains might be going as well. Do you hear it knocking when you are at idle for 2 or more minutes after the motor comes up to temp? You should see the oil pressure drop as well.

135k miles, "rebuilt" at 125K, 5.0L. oil is full. it only knocks when i start it, and only for a second or two.

OP
OP
T

thornbirdguy

Reaction score
Ok that isn't too bad then. Shouldn't be doing it all the time but once the oil has cooled it might.
well, a guy at work told me to use a dodge truck filter, which is shorter, and the problem should go away. he said it will take a shorter time for the filter to fill up and that the shorter filter will raise the pressure a little. anyone ever done this or know someone that has?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar