c6 to aod swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnarahill

Reaction score
I've got an 88 Bronco with a 351w, BW1356 Xfer Case, and a C-6 tranny. My c-6 is due for a rebuild and I'm ready to swap over to an AOD. I need to pull a boat and the c6 has my motor screaming at over 3 grand going down the interstate. I've heard that all i need is the tv cable, and that everything else will bolt right in. I've also heard I'lll need all the linkages, and need to move the crossmenmber and a host of other things. What is the truth? Also, does anyone have all of these linkages and brackets from an AOD equipped truck? How about an AOD? I've scoured the local junkyards, and haven't come up with anything.

gatorbronco

Reaction score
I went from a 302 with an AOD to a 351w and a c6 so I will try to help as much as possible. First of all, (unless it's a smaller boat) most people DON'T recommend using overdrive when towing on the interstate anyways. The constant down shifting going in and out of overdrive puts too much stress on the tranny. Also, the C6 is a much more durable transmission than a stock AOD...most likely you would need to upgrade many of the parts in the AOD.

That being said, when going to the c6, I had to have my drive-shaft shortened, and the cross member did wind up in a slightly different spot. You will also need to change at least the part of the linkage that hooks to the side of the transmission. Your best bet is to just keep looking to find the closest year F-150 or Bronco and steal all the parts.

All in all, if you're worried about the high RPM's, I would personally go with a different gear ratio in the rear end. Although you will lose acceleration, you won't be winding out the motor on those long trips. Hope this helps.

BroncoLightning

Reaction score
I swapped from an E40D to an AOD in my 92 and I had to use all the stock linkage, and crossmember parts and TV cable from the 89 bronco I pulled my AOD from. I do a lot of highway driving and wanted to keep OD so I went with an AODominator from http://www.transmissioncenter.net/AOD.htm I had it behind a 302 in my old 89, and now it's behind a lightly build 351W in my new 92. I've had really good luck with it so far. When I really get on the pedal it shifts faster/harder than a mustang. It'll chirp my tires goin into 2nd. I did pay for it however as it is priced higher than a stock AOD. And unfortunately the prices have gone higher since I bought mine a couple years ago. When you order you can have it built pretty much any way you like it. They don't require a core either so you can possibly make a few bucks on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke