AVOID Advanced Discount Auto Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gatorbronco

Reaction score
Hopefully this was just a case of a few bad parts, but recently needed to replace the motor mounts on the 90 bronco. Get the motor jacked up and ready for the new mounts only to discover that the replacements from discount didn't fit! The holes were drilled about a quarter of an inch too far apart. Took a trip to PepBoys and their mounts worked great. Just a heads up so no one else has to go through the frustration that I did.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah, it happens all over at times. some of this junk is made in China now; my John Deere tractor's front wheel bearings were worn ; had a new bearing made in USA in 88; they fit just ffin right; bought another brng (for same side) made in China last fall... way off!...not even close enuf to bother destroying with a press to get it in.

Also, watch out for the Dorman HELP brand stuff now....the driver/passenger door striker kit w/ bushings, 38445 are not fffin good..bushing diameter is way off and striker frame is off as well....it will bolt-in, but aligning it for a no-rattle fit is efffin a waste of time and possible damage to passenger or driver.

the taillgate striker bushings pn 38424 are closer. but wont last as long as the OEM brand....the door bushings

driver/passenger bushings are incl. in this kit, which fit better than the above specific part..prob. made by a different junk factory in China!

buy bushings from Ford for a good fit.. better to pay a buck more for somethAng that is made well enuf to use.

also the Walker brand exhaust hangers (Ford OEM for 92-96) are ok from Advance, but the rubber donut is the wrong item

Part Number: 35460 is same as Walkers's but completely different and useless, esp on a Sunday night....

....thanks Advance!

Cucamongan

Reaction score
I think we all have stories like that....

You live, you learn and then go pay a little more money at a REAL Trustworthy and more expensive store to get the right part.

P.S. When Buying bearings, take the bearing and go to a Bearing and Seal store and they will get you the right part (usually American made) for cheaper than the parts store.

sadystikal1

Reaction score
Its not just Advanced, which happens to be my favorite local spot, it goes even to JBG i bought a slip yoke the was left in peices the very first time i took it on the trail. i am disgruntled about it because now i have to spend another 40 bucks + s&h to jbg because i cant find it anywhere else.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Cucamongan, yo!

yeah, would have driven up to a city, about a 3 hr rounder, but was mowing 10 acres and the JD dealer is 5 miles away...

btw, I did a lot of Navy nuke motor/prpln plant quiet brng work for a few years...our sole source was NTN in Japan...they made their own machine tools (CNC, etc.) so as to mass produce to da Navy Mil Spec...Barden Fafnir, Torrington, et al tried hard for yrs, but their WW II machine tools (and bearings inside) were getting long-legged for mass production (not really mass, but the noise-quiet motor reqmts were expanding)...

these China parts...I Highly Suspect they produce enuf to get by US companies's initial Qual Control inspections & then pop out the junk..

be well!

Broncobeginner123

Reaction score
I bought upper and lower ball joints from the last week, the lower one fit, but the upper one did not.. was to late to get a new one, luckily i didnt jack up the old upper so i was able to just pop it back in for the time being..

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke