efi pros and cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rubber side down

Reaction score
hello gnewbie here i have an 1975 bronco would like to make it my dailey driver for awhile.whould like to efi it or install a efi 302 out of a mustang i read that the car efi is easier then the truck efi to install . any input on this would be very helpful new to your forum i have owned a few broncos a 72 andPicture_019.jpg a 77 ouch just kick my self for selling them ouch again stupid is stupid does.the king cobra is mine just goffing with pictures thanks

S_bolt19

Reaction score
For a DD, you can't go wrong with an EFI set up. I have had it in mine for about 4 years and love it. I haven't had any major malfunctions so to speak yet, but the minor ones I have had were caused by the old parts (fuel pump & corrosion on spliced wires) going out. The mpg will go up slightly, maybe about 2-7 mpg, so there is an advantage there. The major drawback is that everything now relies on that electrical system to run. If you aren't versed in the workings and going ons of an EFI system, I would definatly recommend getting the owners manual and/or a Chilton's or Haynes manual for the particular donor vehicle. As to what system to use, the car or truck, use the car EFI. The truck plenum is taller than the car by several inches and won't fit under a stock hood and stock height body. You have to have a minimum of 2" body lift and an aftermarket hi-rise hood. They are just real tall whereas the car EFI is low profile. Mine is a car system and fits under a stock hood with no body lift. Also what ever you get the system out of, try and get everything (fuel rails, pump, intake, heads, plenum, wiring harness, EEC, etc.). EFIs from (if I remember right) 89 on had the mass air set up where most other pre 89 cars had the speed density system. An easy way to tell is that the MA had 19lb injectors which were orange and the SD system had 14 lb injectors which were grey. But any way you look at it, for a daily driver or for a trail rig, you can't go wrong with an EFI set up. I will try and take a picture of my set up tomorrow and post it up for you to look at, but definatly, I highly recommend going in that direction. Any other EB that I build, unless I get a complete cherry, stock EB, I will put EFI on it, no doubt about it!

OP
OP
R

rubber side down

Reaction score
For a DD, you can't go wrong with an EFI set up. I have had it in mine for about 4 years and love it. I haven't had any major malfunctions so to speak yet, but the minor ones I have had were caused by the old parts (fuel pump & corrosion on spliced wires) going out. The mpg will go up slightly, maybe about 2-7 mpg, so there is an advantage there. The major drawback is that everything now relies on that electrical system to run. If you aren't versed in the workings and going ons of an EFI system, I would definatly recommend getting the owners manual and/or a Chilton's or Haynes manual for the particular donor vehicle. As to what system to use, the car or truck, use the car EFI. The truck plenum is taller than the car by several inches and won't fit under a stock hood and stock height body. You have to have a minimum of 2" body lift and an aftermarket hi-rise hood. They are just real tall whereas the car EFI is low profile. Mine is a car system and fits under a stock hood with no body lift. Also what ever you get the system out of, try and get everything (fuel rails, pump, intake, heads, plenum, wiring harness, EEC, etc.). EFIs from (if I remember right) 89 on had the mass air set up where most other pre 89 cars had the speed density system. An easy way to tell is that the MA had 19lb injectors which were orange and the SD system had 14 lb injectors which were grey. But any way you look at it, for a daily driver or for a trail rig, you can't go wrong with an EFI set up. I will try and take a picture of my set up tomorrow and post it up for you to look at, but definatly, I highly recommend going in that direction. Any other EB that I build, unless I get a complete cherry, stock EB, I will put EFI on it, no doubt about it!
Thanks s_bolt19 sound just what i want to do the truck will be receiving a 2inch lift with stock hood,i'll keep an eye out for all those parts you said.i have a rebuilt 302 carb engine now have not fired it up yey?scary can i use it and just add parts like hy pressure fuel pump and so forth electrical harness.i'm a gse tech for fedex here at dtwr airport in southeast michigan mostly hydrulic and electronics i'm looking forward to this project. lease is up in a year and a half on truck i think i can do it thanks again for all the info looking forward to pictures

S_bolt19

Reaction score
can i use it and just add parts like hy pressure fuel pump and so forth electrical harness.
Yes, you can use your original block. When I went to do my EFI swap, I had someone do it for me because I didn't have the time to do it myself and I got a smokin' deal to have it done. The guy charged me $2k to completely rebuild my block, mild cam, roller rockers, put new heads and the complete EFI system on. When he got into it, he found out that I had 3 cracked pistons, both heads had hairline fractures and he lifted the timing chain off...lol...He said when I turned it off in his driveway, he couldn't get it started again until he finished with everything. But like I said, take the top half of the EFI engine and the bottom half of yours and you can mesh the two together. Check your laws about emissions because when I did mine, if I had used the block from the 87 Merc. Grand Marquis, I would have had to register it as an 87 vehicle, but because I used my old '72 block, I didn't have to change the emissions coding on it. Some stupid reason that now I wouldn't have to worry about because they have since done away with emissions here in my county. Anyway, here is a picture of my set up, again, I am stock height as far as body and hood are concerned. The jumbled mess on the driver's side is hydroboost brakes, power steering, air tank and my ARB switches.

IMG_2004a.jpg

OP
OP
R

rubber side down

Reaction score
thats it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> thanks so much for the picture allso.i notice master cylnder?? where did you get hydro it looks like a brake bleeding ball not ******* ya just looks like one..i have power sterring think of going hydroboost not sure yet thanks again. greg

Last edited by a moderator:

S_bolt19

Reaction score
LOL...The brakes really weren't that hard to get to until I put the air tank in the way...still, it isn't that tough to get to. It is pretty simple to manuver around everything. The tough thing is changing that back spark plug. You almost have to have 3 arms. But I did the h-boost is out of a 1990 Astro van & the write up I did on it is here:

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...amp;#entry52462

It is pretty simple and is a world of difference as far as stopping power.

OP
OP
R

rubber side down

Reaction score
LOL...The brakes really weren't that hard to get to until I put the air tank in the way...still, it isn't that tough to get to. It is pretty simple to manuver around everything. The tough thing is changing that back spark plug. You almost have to have 3 arms. But I did the h-boost is out of a 1990 Astro van & the write up I did on it is here:
http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...amp;#entry52462

It is pretty simple and is a world of difference as far as stopping power.
awesome i read that article awhile back i have power steeing and was thinking of using hydro boost style brakes.how did you figure that out just trial and error some good engineering there.we where at dearborn feest in bellville michigan over the weekend there was a guy there with complete efi system for a 351 even the wire harness it was a painless style harness but everything for $1000.00 not a bad price thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke