reverse lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khouse

77 BRONC
Reaction score
I got a 77 Bronco Ranger with automatic transmission. I just found out that the reverse lights are out, looks like no power at the sockets. I was wondering where the switch mounts and is it a pain to get to?

Thanks,

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:

STLKIKN

Reaction score
The neutral safety and reverse light switch are the same piece.

They are located at the point where the shifter linkage bolts to the shaft into your C-4.

Should be a semi circular switch with four wires going into it.

crankman

Reaction score
The neutral safety and reverse light switch are the same piece.They are located at the point where the shifter linkage bolts to the shaft into your C-4.

Should be a semi circular switch with four wires going into it.
IM having the same problem with my 76 do you remove the switch by taking the linkage off? I think i found the part on the graveyard website called a neutral switch is that it? thanks

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Yep, could be called the N.S.S. (neutral safety switch) or back-up switch. A newer manual may also call it the PRNDL switch.

It is removed by pulling the shift linkage off and there should be two small bolts as well (5/16 If I remember correctly)

fbnwest

Reaction score
OK, I'll be the third amigo asking about this switch, same question except I have a stock 3 speed. My prior tranny must have been from ACME and whatever switch it was using won't match up with a stock 3 speed.

STLKIKN

Reaction score
fbnwest, if you have a 3 spd manual tranny, your stock rev light switch is column mounted, under the hood where the shift linkage comes out of the steering column there should be a small bracket with a round hole.

The bracket is adjustable if the switch is still there (many aren't)

Put the truck in rev and loosen the clamp holding the bracket, Adjust the brackets position just until the lights come on. Tighten clamp, you're good to go.

If the switch is there and appears to be adjusted correctly, you can test this circuit simply by jumping the two wires with the key on. If the rev lights come on, you just need to replace the switch.

If you have a floor shifter, thats a whole other ball of wax...

rev_light_switch.jpg

fbnwest

Reaction score
Oppss, Sorry am looking for that other ball of wax. I meant stock 3 speed transmission except it's been converted to a floor shifter. Forgot about the three on the tree. Turns out someone had a Mustang 3 speed bolted in when he used truck for trade in. Lasted awhile, but now I have a bronco 3 speed installed. Something about the mustang being a one wire plug and the bronco is a two wire? or vice versa.

Dave

STLKIKN

Reaction score
If you have a reverse light switch on the transmission, you have most of the problem solved already...

(No switch on the tranny means you need a bracket to mount the switch on the shifter) Hurst has a bracket and switch that can be mounted on the Duff and Hurst shifters.

If there is a switch on the tranny you have, I don't think it is a Bronco trans (never seen one with a switch in it)

#16 in the diagram...

shifter.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno