Lift vs tire size for 78/79 Bronco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You know, I can't figure out this whole lift/tire size thing on the 78/79 Broncos. I test drove a 79 w/ a 460 on 33" tires and a 4" lift, but my 78 has 38" tires with really no lift except for a rear aal and a 1" spacer under the front coils. I can't turn the steereing wheel without hitting the fenders, but some trimming of the opening and I can turn. Then today I get a 79 F-150 with 35's, 3" body+3" susp lift, and looks like it could fit 37's or maybe 38's. guess my question is how much lift for a certain tire size should i get? I got a SkyJ 9" lift kit with the F-150, but that might be too tall for the Bronco. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

89Bronco58

Reaction score
I had a 79 f150 with a 4 inch susp lift and 3 body on 38's . Now i drive an 89 bronco with a 6 inch susp lift and 3 body on 38's, and the 79 sat an inch or so bigger and cleared the tires just about the same, so im guessing the older ford truck and broncos ( 1/2 tons ) may just take less lift to sit bigger or came from the factory built bigger, idk just my oponion hope it helps somehow [-o<

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Right, I pretty much know what tire size will fit the 80-96 trucks/ Broncos with the TTB, but not so sure on the straight-axle Dana44 front, as well as the fender opening on the 78.79 models. I've also seen a "highboy" edition F-150, which can fit 35's stock, but I'm not talking about that, just the rest. I was looking at the tire fitment chart in the Bronco Graveyard catalog, and it's only a guide. With no lift and no trimming, the largest tire shown to fit is a 32. Even with a 3" body lift, a 35" tire still needs trimming. My 78 Bronco had a 3" lift and plenty room for the 38's. I guess it has alot to do with condition of the suspension, actual tire size mounted on a specific rim width, and the amount of suspension travel.

Last edited by a moderator:

swampthing

Reaction score
with my old 78 i cleared 33's at stock height with no problem at all and no fender rubbing...then did a 4 inch lift and cleared 36's with no rubbing and probably could have fit 38's with slight trimming...its odd how it all works out sometimes

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Right, I'm thinking a 4" suspension lift will be just right for the 78 Bronco. I cut off 3" around the front fenderes, and the 38's fit great with lots of room to turn now. A bud has the same set-up with F-250 coils in front that give about 2-3" lift over stock. I would gothat route, too, but I already have some 4" coils. Just shopping for the rest of the parts to lift the front, and eventually shackle flip the rear. It may look like a ton of space inside the fenders, but I like the added travel and better ride of a suspension lift. A couple buds also told me that the SkyJ coils are really stiff, s oI mightr not put them on the Bronco.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke