Died out and wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Openshaw

Reaction score
> top half of engine rebuilt 2 years ago Somethins up with the motor right now, wont stay running, i've replaced the starter solonoid, ignition module, cleaned up the distributor cap, its got spark and fuel so im not sure whats up with that, could just be a loose wire or something,.. engines have always been my week spot so. there ya go.

it died while i was downshifting i waited about 15 mins and tryed and it started and then it died again and now it wont start. if i put my foot to the floor and crank it it'll start untill i let go of the key and it goes into the on position! what can it be! :enraged: :eek:

Thanks In Advance.

-James Openshaw

this is on a 84 bronco II by the way thanks

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel pump or clogged filter, possibly a clogged fuel line. Try the fuel filter first.

Good luck,

:)>-

89Bronco58

Reaction score
so at one point the truck did run and drive fine, and now it only runs when the starter is pushing it correct?, since its an 84 im going to assume its carburated, thats the first thing i would check, check the seals and gaskets, make sure there isnt any vaccume leaks and make sure its getting proper fuel

bidibronco

Reaction score
I saw this problem the other day on a 150, turns out it was the alt going bad. Just to throw my $.02 in!

OP
OP
J

James Openshaw

Reaction score
I saw this problem the other day on a 150, turns out it was the alt going bad. Just to throw my $.02 in!

Thanks everybody for the input, its actually my friends truck ive purchased and he told me he was up in the bush and coming down a logging road and he went to downshift and it died out, he immediatly assumed it was overheating so he stopped waited about 20 mins then started it up and went again, then it died out so he had it towed home. He told me if he puts his foot to the floor and turn the key and igniton on so the starters going or whatever it'll fire untill u let go of the key and it sits in the on position. He isnt very mechanically inclined but he said it is getting spark and fuel but i will go over it all and maybe even change a few things to be sure. Thanks guys keep the input coming if you can think of anything.

Chers $-)

OP
OP
J

James Openshaw

Reaction score
we poured gas in the carb and it fired worked then back fired and died again. He said it might be a sensor or some electronic thing inside of the distributer.. any suggesttions? :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :rolleyes:

89Bronco58

Reaction score
seems to me like it is only getting spark when the started is engaged, he didnt hook the power wire up to the starter side of the selonoid did he, if so, it will only have spark as the starter is engaged, tell him to check that, i doubt its that since it was running fine, but idk just seems that might be it, basically just tell him to check all the ignition wiring

muddog

Reaction score
im not familiar with that era of bronco. but my 93 was doin the same thing and all it was was the fuel cut off switch had been tripped. dont know if yours has one or not but its just might be that simple!

OP
OP
J

James Openshaw

Reaction score
Okay so i replaced the igniton coil and had it running all weekend, i wheeled it hard and it was the best time of my life.. Then i get home shut it off for 5 mins go back and try and start it again and it wont fire.. just turn over.. i thought maybe it was flooded so i bump started it, it ran for about 10 seconds then died again.. Fuel Pump?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar