4x4 vs. Overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The OD button actually shuts off your OD its on by default everytime you start your truck . The 4X4 button you know puts power to your front wheels and the 4Low button shifts the T case into 4X4 low ranges only when the vehicle is stopped and in neutral . Again muladesigns1 I will remind you that there are no dumb questions and we do NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES make people feel dump for asking questions here do not make me keep reminding you of this :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, Betty, Blade is correct. The "OD" or overdrive button engages the fourth gear in your transmission to reduce engine RPM's and increase fuel mileage. The gear ratio is somewhere around 0.75:1, compared to 1:1 or higher for the other gears in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I would suggest leaving it on all the time for normal highway driving, The only time you should turn OD off is when towing a trailer. Towing puts more strain on the transmission and will burn up the OD on hilly roads.

The "Low Range 4x4" button is only for when you engage four wheel drive on non-paved roads. Four wheel - High range is good most of the time for gravel roads, mud, dirt trails, etc. When you need to crawl over rocks or go really slow, the four wheel low range will slow your speed down. The engine will still rev fairly high (2500-3000 RPM), but the 2.72:1 gear reduction in the transfer case will reduce your tire speed. Low Range is also good for pulling a stuck vehicle out or pull-starting a tractor or road grader. JSM84

thornbirdguy

Reaction score
Yes, Betty, Blade is correct. The "OD" or overdrive button engages the fourth gear in your transmission to reduce engine RPM's and increase fuel mileage. The gear ratio is somewhere around 0.75:1, compared to 1:1 or higher for the other gears in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I would suggest leaving it on all the time for normal highway driving, The only time you should turn OD off is when towing a trailer. Towing puts more strain on the transmission and will burn up the OD on hilly roads.
The "Low Range 4x4" button is only for when you engage four wheel drive on non-paved roads. Four wheel - High range is good most of the time for gravel roads, mud, dirt trails, etc. When you need to crawl over rocks or go really slow, the four wheel low range will slow your speed down. The engine will still rev fairly high (2500-3000 RPM), but the 2.72:1 gear reduction in the transfer case will reduce your tire speed. Low Range is also good for pulling a stuck vehicle out or pull-starting a tractor or road grader. JSM84

excellent description.

michibronc

Reaction score
My '96 won't shift into 4-High unless I'm stopped. I've got the manual 4wd with a shift lever on the floor. Are the newer Broncos supposed to be shift on the fly?

wileec

Reaction score
Is it a auto tranny or man? I know the man is clutch n shift use 4h a lot that way in the winter. I think that the auto should also be shift on the fly

stusainte

Reaction score
My95 has the shift on the fly I use it if bad weather and or snow as long as your not doing like 60mph or somthing like that I believe all newer modles have the shift on the fly (But my be mistaken on that)

Roadkill

Reaction score
My '96 won't shift into 4-High unless I'm stopped. I've got the manual 4wd with a shift lever on the floor. Are the newer Broncos supposed to be shift on the fly?
Here is what the '96 Owners Manual says about your truck (if you still have the automatic hubs):

4x4_with_lever.jpg

Edit:

Since "transfer-shifting" questions are so common, I just posted that whole section out of the Owners Manual HERE in the Tech Support Forum. It covers shifting with all combinations of auto/manual hubs and manual or "toutch-drive" transfer cases.

Last edited by a moderator:

michibronc

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Roadkill. It's nice to see the owners manual because I purchased used and a previous owner lost it (or sold it on ebay!).

Roadkill

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Roadkill. It's nice to see the owners manual because I purchased used and a previous owner lost it (or sold it on ebay!).
I have a digital copy of the entire '96 owner's manual but it is too large to post here on Broncozone. (3mb) If you send me a PM with your e-mail, I can send you the whole thing. It's also available for free from the MyFord Website.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22