speed sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keeprollling

Reaction score
I am confused, is the ABS speed sensor the same as an overdrive speed sensor? I do have the ABS rear light on and have been getting the jerks from 1st to 2nd and downshifts to neutral them after a high rev back into gear. I am considering replacing this, but not sure which is which or of they are the same. Also if each is diffrent, where are they located?

Roadkill

Reaction score
The speed sensor is located near the top of the rear differential towards the front. (It will be the only electrical connector on the differential) It pulls double duty as an ABS sensor and Vehicle Speed Sensor. To the best of my knowledge, it is the only speed sensor on your truck, unless you have 4 wheel antilock brakes. In which case, there will also be a sensor on each front wheel (grand total of three). The front ones, if you have them, are only used for the ABS. Only the rear is used as a vehicle speed sensor for other systems like cruise control, transmission, speedometer, etc.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The speed sensor in the axle is just for the antilock brakes there is a speed sensor built into the E4OD tranny that feeds the EEC and the PSOM for the digital odometer to work . Check the 2 connectors on the top drivers side of the tranny and make sure there tight maybe carefully take them off and clean them . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

wileec

Reaction score
I beleive that in 92 there was only 1 on the diff controls oth ABS and ECC from the same place. makes sense if it is keeping tract of the axel it can do speed as well.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Most all 92,s had an E4OD if it has an OD cancel button on the dash or the shifter it has a speed sensor in the tranny . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Sensor, VSS or RABS?; by Bronco1 - "Depending on the year;

1992 + - It's called a RABS sensor, or a DSS (diff speed sensor), or rear axle sensor. At work (Ford dealership, we ask for a rear diff speed sensor.

1991 & older - If we want the one on the transmission or transfer case, we ask for the vehicle speed sensor at the trans or tranfercase.

&

Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

What does that mean?Basically this means that the vehicle's speed as read by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not working properly.

Symptoms may include:

loss of anti-lock brakes

the "anti-lock" or "brake" warning lamps on the dash may be lit

the speedometer or odometer may not work properly (or at all)

your vehicle's RPM limiter may be decreased

the shifting of an automatic transmission may become erratic

other symptoms may also be present

A check engine light may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not reading (functioning) properly - needs cleaning or replacement

Sensor, VSS (also called called RABS) & Tone Ring (also called Speed Sensor Ring for RABS & 4WABS) Inspection & Installation Source: by waltman

There is a broken/frayed wire leading to the vehicle speed sensor

OP
OP
keeprollling

keeprollling

Reaction score
I took a trip to autozone earlier today and ordered the Speed sensor and got a diffrent piece that doesnt look like the one on the rear end. That my be the one Blade was talking about. The one on the rear end is this one.

Well a second trip to autozone and I got the right one. It was an easy replacement running me only about two minutes, and getting a little dirty under the truck, I didnt even need to lift it.

My rear ABS light went off and now shifts real smoooooothly. unfortunatly after taking it out for a roll, when I parked outside the house the check engine came on. Now that will have to wait till later, I am starting to run a fever.

Thanks all for your help, I hope this thread also helps others in any concerns they may have. :)>-

T

ThaMarine817

I have a 1995 ford bronco and I swapped my rear end with an older rear axle. The axle doesn’t have a plug in for the speed sensor is there a modification I would need to do in order to fix this ? .... I’d like to see how fast I’m going :)

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo ThaMarine817,

Welcome!

is the older rear an 8.8 or 9" or;

Installation in a Dana 60 in a 95Source: by Shadofax (TheJuice, The Juice, Mark Z) 

&

Speed Sensor Recalibrator Overview for other than Ford 8.8 Differentials;

This is the kit you need to convert from the stock 8.8 to any aftermarket rearend. The kit allows your stock speedo to function properly and shift your E4OD Correctly.

$350

"...we have been working on this for a while and it is the nicest design I have worked with. You dont have to send your ****** out for a core and the sensor spacing is adjustable and it is mathmaticaly the same as stock. Im working out all of the math for common tire sizes and gear ratios. Final pricing will be available early next week. Let me know what you think and any queations you have. It comes with /100%.jpg of the parts you need and should very easy for most people to install. With original location for ford trucks, the sensor is essentially past or after the gears but before the tires if you think of the drivetrain in a straight line, so only tire size changes affect your speedo reading.When you move the tone ring (the little ring with the magnets) up to the output shaft, you put it before the gears, so now gears and tires will affect it. Factory setup:engine-transmission/tcase------gears(diff)tone ring----axles---tires; new setup: engine-transmission/tcase-tone ring------gears(diff)----axles---tires..."Source: by mkiefer (Mark Kiefer) at http://www.southwestperformance.net/  Mark is a-ok!

• [858]449-2292  PO BOX 3040 RAMONA CA 92065

0813096AA9DD7F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.jpg

VSS Kit 92-96 Bronco E4OD  And all other fords with BOLT ON yoke BW1356 transfer caseETACT

Superlift® TruSpeedâ„¢ Speed Sensor Recalibrator Overview & Installation Instructions in 92-96; "...Our TruSpeed calibrator addresses all speed signal-related problems; it doesn't just correct the speedometer. How? The TruSpeed module installs in-line with the factory electronic speed sensor and converts the wrong speed signal into the correct one for your vehicle's new tire and / or axle gear ratio combination. Because the signal is altered at its source, all speed-sensitive vehicle systems will receive the correct speed data, which restores all proper functions. The TruSpeed is available for most domestic and import vehicles equipped with an electronic we..."; READ MORESource: by Superlift®

Superlift® TruSpeed Speed Sensor Recalibrator Review; "...Easy to install/adjust, but expensive. They have separate models for RABS or 4WABS..."Source: by monkei

Re-Locator, Brea @ https://m.facebook.com/breaautoelectric

Re-Locator, Curt LeDuc pic in a 95Source: by motoxscott

"Buy a kit or spec it out had have a machine shop make the tone ring.FYI: tone rings are specific for gear ratio & tire dia.Don't get one that installs on the diff joint or housing. The transfer mount is very safe based on my experience."Paul

□■□

Was speed control, if equipped recall work completed by dealership?  Call local dealer or register and view status @ https://owner.ford.com; or @ https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/ ...  have VIN ready. 
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/457065-93-94-96-cruise-control-recalls-repair.html#post6530073
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

Here is the 1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure
Free registration for some wiring diagrams (86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) with Recalls, same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

GL MARINE!

AL

ThaMarine817

Reaction score
Thanks AL for the quick response I didn’t notice you replied till today i should have turned on notifications but I’ve attached the ID tags if this helps .... I’ve had my 95 bronco for about 10 years now and I’m probably never letting go of it ... so I’m trying to bring it back to life ... swapped out the rear end a couple years ago becuz my old rear def completely destroyed itself so I was lucky to pluck this out of a 86 ford bronco I believe but the problem was it didn’t have the speed sensor so I’ve been running without it ever since ... 

EA137CAE-93A0-4AAF-B16D-A596D8E65712.jpeg

168AF5A1-9AFC-4101-A86E-8206835FCD40.jpeg

C1CE59E8-B1C0-45D2-BE95-A4703B737FDE.jpeg

2198D50B-1C21-45AA-81B1-75E1470A5EFB.jpeg

5FA3CFEF-602B-4FFE-B03F-AE1111BD3B16.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

ThaMarine817

Reaction score
I do have the E4OD ...and Not right now AL I mean as with any vehicle you learn the kinks and stuff and when I drive sometimes it shifts good sometimes it jerks so bad I don’t drive it all . So as of right now it’s sitting until I find a remedy for this problem 

Last edited by a moderator:

ThaMarine817

Reaction score
Hey thanks once again for all your help AL i will let you know how it goes and definitely post pictures after im done.... hopefully this fixes it and I can move onto the next fix :)

phoenix86

Reaction score
My first post, so pardon any errors.

With the ABS light coming on regularly after driving 5-10 miles I replaced the rear VSS. Initially purchased a Delphi but the situation became worse. I then purchased the same part number by NTK. ABS light problem solved.

The Delphi and NTK look identical, but something inside must be different.

Hope this helps someone here.

'96 Bronco, stock 8.8 rear end.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo phoenix86,
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the best year Big Bronco known to man and woman kind!!

Thanks for the info!

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...sovers/bronco/pdf/96_Ford_Bronco_Brochure.pdf
Al

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke