302 Upper Intake Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snowman74

Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!
Reaction score
:blink:

Hi y'all...

Finally taking the damn upper intake off to repair/replace fuel injector wires...running into a couple of problems...

First, I removed what I think is the EGR valve on the passenger side...bolted onto the upper manifold, right by the throttle body. Is that what it is? Anyway, the tube going into the bottom of the valve is FULL of some kind of black crap...I assume oil is getting in there some way, but don't know. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this/prevent further build-up?

Second, I've removed 5 bolts on the outer perimeter of the upper intake manifold. Two on front, two on back, one on driver side. It still won't come loose. I ran my hand under the manifold on the passenger side, it appears to have at least one bolt under there...but for the life of me, I can't figure out what the fitting is (allen, torx, etc.). I also can't figure out how to remove it.

HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Snowman74 :)>-

OP
OP
snowman74

snowman74

Reaction score
Okay, I think I figured part of it out... it looks like a T-40 Torx head on that bolt under the upper plenum. There's an opening in the top of the plenum to get to it...but a torx socket WILL NOT FIT under there...even if you run the socket under the manifold with one hand and try to get at it from the top, the socket is too big and hits the side-wall of the plenum. So, it looks like a long, straight torx bit is in order...where can I find one of those? Where's my Tylenol?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I think I figured part of it out... it looks like a T-40 Torx head on that bolt under the upper plenum. There's an opening in the top of the plenum to get to it...but a torx socket WILL NOT FIT under there...even if you run the socket under the manifold with one hand and try to get at it from the top, the socket is too big and hits the side-wall of the plenum. So, it looks like a long, straight torx bit is in order...where can I find one of those? Where's my Tylenol?Snowman74 :)>-
yo!

Intake Manifold Removal Tip & Tool in an 86 302 Source: by Sixlitre

Jerry D

Reaction score
It is a 5mm hex head. Trust me it is not easy to get to. It needs to be on a 1/4" drive with an 8" extension. or a an equel sized flathead screwdriver. It will make you cuss and it will make you upset. Just try not to throw it to far. Check the inside and you might have to clean it out really well if you are goin to reuse it again.

OP
OP
snowman74

snowman74

Reaction score
Thanks guys...

It is a T-40 TORX head. The socket WILL fit in there only if you run it under by hand, get it at the PRECISE angle, and run a socket extension through the service hole on the upper plenum. I got it off there finally!!!

Now, the thing I think is the EGR valve and tube. The tube going from the valve to the intake manifold is on the manifold with about a one inch flare nut. I want to remove this to clean it out. Problem is, a wrench is not doing the trick...not the right angle to turn. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Roadkill

Reaction score
Now, the thing I think is the EGR valve and tube. The tube going from the valve to the intake manifold is on the manifold with about a one inch flare nut. I want to remove this to clean it out. Problem is, a wrench is not doing the trick...not the right angle to turn. Any ideas?Snowman74 :)>-
Maybe a "crow's foot" wrench?

OP
OP
snowman74

snowman74

Reaction score
Maybe a "crow's foot" wrench?

That's precisely why we all come to this site...to get an idea we probably would have taken two months to come up with ourselves. Thanks Roadkill...I will give that a try...just hope I have a crow's foot large enough.

Roadkill

Reaction score
You can get crow's foot wrenches to fit on the end of 1/2" extension at any place that sell good tools, but the larger ones can be a bit pricey for a tool you will only use once. If you're like me, you probably have lots of wrench sets laying around. If you have more than one that fits the nut, you can heat one up and custome bend it to fit your needs. I have done that in the past and it works pretty good. Down side is that the bent wrench won't be much good for other uses any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardape

Reaction score
My tube was broken, I just used the box end of a wrench and it came off quite easily.

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
I use an adjustable wrench to get the EGR pipe off. While the EGR is out, take some carb clean and clean all the carbon out of it. Use a screwdriver to push the bottom plunger down and spray all the crap out.

OP
OP
snowman74

snowman74

Reaction score
Finally got the tube removed...cleaned it in parts washer...put tube back on, put intake plenum back on. Darn near done with this deal...thanks to all for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke