Smells like trans fluid coming from exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lump1713

Reaction score
When on long road trips, my truck blows smoke out from m exhaust and it smells like tranny fluid. In town, its runs fine. just on long trips. anyone know what could be causing this? My truck now has 170,500 miles and not sure how long has been the trans fluid changed. Any help appreciated. I have the E40D also if that helps...

Seabronc

Reaction score
Are you sure that it is actually coming out the exhaust and not from tranny fluid getting on the exhaust pipe? Is it possible that it is tranny fluid coming out the rear seal and being slung onto the exhaust pipe by the drive shaft?

:)>-

Yardape

Reaction score
Thats what I would say too, I have had that problem before and it was tranny fluid burning onto the exhaust pipe

BRONCOGRL911

Reaction score
if you have a c6 tranny there is a possiblilty that there is a bad diaphram in the modulator located at the right rear corner of the tranny just above the trannypan.if you pull off the rubber hose there should be no transmision fluild comming out of the modulator if there is that could be the possiblilty of the smell of transmision fluid burning in the exhaust.

Seabronc

Reaction score
if you have a c6 tranny there is a possiblilty that there is a bad diaphram in the modulator located at the right rear corner of the tranny just above the trannypan.if you pull off the rubber hose there should be no transmision fluild comming out of the modulator if there is that could be the possiblilty of the smell of transmision fluid burning in the exhaust.
Good one Broncogrl911, I never gave that path a thought, but if the diaphragm were violated trany fluid could possibly migrate up the vacuum line and into the intake. A good thing to check by removing the vacuum line to see if there is any evidence of trany fluid in it.

OP
OP
L

Lump1713

Reaction score
if it was coming out of the rear seal, why would it only do it on long trips? and wouldn't I be losing like tons of fluid also? and i'm not. I thinking about the modulator too but the hing is i dont have a c6. so any other suggestions?

Seabronc

Reaction score
if it was coming out of the rear seal, why would it only do it on long trips? and wouldn't I be losing like tons of fluid also? and i'm not. I thinking about the modulator too but the hing is i dont have a c6. so any other suggestions?
Mine has been coming out the rear seal for years with very little loss of fluid, it all depends on how bad the seal is. Actually the rear seal is in the transfer case tail so the transmission fluid coming out is from the transfer case. I just keep track of it and top it off now and then, it doesn't get on my exhaust though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

These are only suggestions, we are not there to look at your truck. I can't come up with any path from the transmission to the combustion chambers other than the one given by Broncog911. I'd suggest that you get it to happen and make sure the smoke is actually coming out the exhaust pipe or from some other location. If you are not able to check it out yourself, take it to a local mechanic.

Good luck,

bidibronco

Reaction score
I get tranny fluid coming from my bell housing and it hits my flex plate and goes EVERYWHERE under my truck but it's not taking fluid out fast enough yet for me to worry about. All I do is when I go wash my truck I hit the underside around that area to clean it up a bit.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Also:

Assuming you have the E4OD;

if so, It does not have a modulator

&

ck:

tranny pan for bad seal

Extension housing seal and bushing area

May be the seal or gasket between the front pump and the case, or you may have a bad drive tube on the converter that is damaging the seal. Check the surface of the converter tube that rotates inside the seal for nicks or burrs

From bellhousing:

Running leaks in front of pump = Pump seals, o-ring, or bolts

Slinging around bellhousing = Converter may be cracked (not llikely & hope not!)

After wiping down the tranny, I use baby powder to isolate leak area; hopefully you will be able to see the problem area.

Last edited by a moderator:

91Bronco351

Reaction score
It may not be tranny fluid you are smelling. I had a real sweet burned type smell coming from my exhaust and it was due to coolant leaking into my combustion chamber. I took my heads off and sure enough, my number 8 cylinder was rusted. That cylinder is next to a water jacket in the head and the gasket went bad which in turn caused fluid to escape into the combustion area. If that is the problem, the reason it isnt smoking and smelling until you drive awhile is becasue the head is havng to heat up and expand which in turn opens up the channel for the water to escape through. Check your coolant and see if it is going down. You can also take it to an exhuast shop and they should be able to tell you right away. Thats how I found out. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion.

Good luck!

madmax

Reaction score
you could also burn some trans fluid and some coolant to know what they both smell like, also try burning some oil, you could simply have oil dripping onto your exhaust somehow.

also you could have a leaking front pump seal mine MELTED down the front of the trans when it overheated, solenoid seized cutting off fluid flow to the cooler causing the meltage. that smoked like ****.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno