Auto to 5spd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
I have access to a 1987-1991 F150 with a 4.9l and a 5 spd for 150 bucks. Truck only has 42,000 original miles. Could I swap the 5spd over to my bronco and hook it up to my 302? How much work would this be and what else besides cutting the hole for the shifter, mounting the clutch and changing the dash and instrument cluster would i need to do?

bobstrat

Reaction score
youd need a flywheel and bell housing , myself id grab the brake pedal out of the stick equipped truck too, theyre usually a little smaller so you cant slam the brakes on while shifting. would you need a different computer? i know you would to go from stick to auto.

madmax

Reaction score
I have access to a 1987-1991 F150 with a 4.9l and a 5 spd for 150 bucks. Truck only has 42,000 original miles. Could I swap the 5spd over to my bronco and hook it up to my 302? How much work would this be and what else besides cutting the hole for the shifter, mounting the clutch and changing the dash and instrument cluster would i need to do?

i changed my 81 bronco to a manual trans from an e4od, you'll need new drive shafts and also the clutch stuff. the easiest thing to do is if it uses a non attached bell housing get one that uses an external ***** cylinder, it's easier to work on than a concentric *****. you'll also need the clutch pedal assembly and a master clyinder and the clutch line. the pedal assembly you can get at a junkyard from any 84 and later truck with a stick, part way through 83 they switched from the Z bar mechanical clutch to the hydraulic. the Z bar stuff wont fit around your steering colmn without a lot of extra work. when i did the change over i used a bell housing from an 86 f150 with a 4.9l I6 and it bolted right up to my 351W which uses the same rear bolt pattern as the 302. also you don't need to change the dash instrument cluster, simply remove the column shifter with the little roll pin on the shifter near the steering column. The hydraulic clutch line is a dealer only item and will run you about 80 bucks but all the other stuff is cheap. if you run into problems or have any questions PM me and ill probably respond in a few hours unless I'm at work.

Also no, you don't need a different computer, mine is working fine with the original comp.

When removing the old brake pedal assembly it might be easiest to cut the aluminum casting out around the sped o cable and simply run it around the new assembly, ill snap a picture of that in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

LOSTinthewoods

Reaction score
i just did the auto to manual swap recently on my 88 with a 351w.make sure you get the correct fly wheel for your motor thats important the truck will shake like all **** if you dont.. you dont have to change th dash.just be sure to get a pedal assembly for an 87 -91 bronco or f series one from any other years will bolt up but will not work correctly ,i tried one from an 85 and it did not have enough trow to disengage the clutch and made my steering wheel crooked, and also the clutch master cylinder, autozone does carry the clutch hose if you need it its not to expensive and the five speed has an internal ***** cylinder make sure its there and hooked up properly. definently buy a new clutch b4 you do the swap. the easiest way to do the instrument cluster is to remove it( you have to to change the pedal assembly because you have to disconect the speedometer cable because its ran threw th pedal assembly ) take off the thing that tells you what gear you would be in (P,N,R,D,2,1) i glued a piece of black plastic over it and put it back then put the cluster back . next i bought a tilt steering colum for a standard but, you dont have to when my buddy did his 84 he just cut off the shifter lever on the column with some bolt cutters and got some black foam to wrap it with. also you may need a different driveshaft i got lucky the old 1 from my c6 fit fine. oh yea i forgot make sure your neutral safty switch is on park or your truck wont start i left mine in park and zip tied it to my frame for now another guy on this forum just wrote what the wires are for on the neutral safty switch so i plan to cut them off splice the to together and then use the other to so i have reverse lights again. if you have anymore questions just write back on this descusion i check the new posts every morning between 4am and 8am depending on when i have to go to work. i put a t18 in my truck i WISH i had got the 5 speed its the best tranny in my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
I can have the complete f150, so I may just strip all the drive train stuff out, sell the 4.9 and part out the rest of the truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom