Replacing oil pan gasket...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trailmule

Reaction score
OK... I figured out how to use the search function properly but it didn't really help.

Here's the problem. I need to change the oil pan gasket in the Bronco. Everyone I have talked to has said that they are a pain the f@@cking ass to replace. Now we are trying to decide if I need to pull the motor or not. One of the topics I looked at said that somebody did it as a pull- through. The current gasket is cork and it would be nice to clean all the gunk off the edges before installing the replacement. We are thinking the easiest way will be to unbolt the trans and lift the motor and trans up, but not out. **** while we're in there, maybe we should just replace the trans too...

So if anyone has experience, let me know. My boyfriend's F150 is getting a new trans here soon so the Bronco will have to wait but I'd rather have something of a game plan ahead of time....

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You can change the oil pan gasket with the engine in, but it is very tight. Loosen the motor mounts at the frame, and jack/lift the engine a few inches or high enough so you can get your hands in to unbolt the oil pump and pick-up tube. Let those drop into the pan. You can maneuver the pan out the back over the crossmember if you need to work on it or replace it. You don't have much room, but it beats unplugging all the wires and hoses to pull the motor out completely. If you're just changing the pan gasket, you can leave the oil pump botled on. But it's been my experience on high-mileage engines that the pick-up tube will get clogged with sludge. Once it's clogged, the oil pump starves the motor, then the main bearing go bad. A common symptom is low oil pressure and/or sludge in the pan.

OP
OP
trailmule

trailmule

Reaction score
JSM84 - thanks for that. Should help my mechanics (bf and buddies :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) when the time comes... My oil pressure gauge doesn't really work and I am adding about a quart of oil a week due to leaks. I will say something about checking the pick-up tube...

Oh - and if is the case that the pick-up tube is clogged, I am assuming I can find a replacement easily?

Thanks again

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I would just try to clean the tube with parts cleaner if you can, but yes you can pick up a new one fairly cheap, even a new oil pump.

KJEfting

Reaction score
I recently replaced the oil pan gasket on my 93. It isn't necessarily difficult; it just takes a little while. The problem I ran into was that my intake manifold hit the firewall before I was able to gain enough clearance to get the pan out. So you should remove your intake before you lift the engine. I believe it lists this as a step in the Haynes manual. If you're not too concerned with sludge or your oil pick-up, you could probably change the gasket without completely removing the pan. However, you might as well do the last little bit to get the pan off and clean it, especially if you have a few miles on your truck. Also, if it does currently have a cork gasket, don't replace it with another cork one. AutoZone sells the good molded rubber Felpro gaskets with the metal spacers built in. These will last A LOT longer. I think they're around $30. Good luck!

OP
OP
trailmule

trailmule

Reaction score
Yeah definately not going to use a cork gasket again. And the Bronco has about 123,000 miles so I am gonna look at the pick-up tube when we do the gasket. Wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the help guys!

uscdiver

Reaction score
I replaced the oil pan gasket in my '94 and had the exact same experience as KJE. Couldn't jack the motor up high enough bcz of intake manifold hitting the firwall. Definitely take the intake off, and you should be able to replace it w/out taking engine out.

Diver

OP
OP
trailmule

trailmule

Reaction score
I will take a look at the pan and see how that looks....

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes...not sure when though

bobstrat

Reaction score
i changed mine without lifting the motor. napa sells a one piece that you can fish around the outside of the pan and install in one piece. no cutting no engine lifting. just be careful taking the old one out, if you drop any of the old gasket in youll need to remove the pan. if you have low oil pressure i would suggest following js84's advice.

B

BIG ACE

Im doing mine now, on my 96 efi. very challenging but doable, disconected the intake and pump.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke