AOD Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White90Bronco

Reaction score
My Bronco (1990 Fullsize, 302, AOD) just started leaking transmission fluid one night. First thing I though of was the cork gasket on the pan. Changed it to a rubber fiber gasket, no luck. Next, I retightened all the bolts on the pan in sequence, no luck. Then, I went to the guy who rebuilt it for me. He told me that AOD's in 4x4 vehicles are bad about leaking between the back of the tranny and the tail housing, so I should tighten up the bolts holding them together. Came home, did that, no luck still. He also told me that on the rare occasion the housing cracks and that would be why it was leaking. Came home checked it, not cracked. My Dad suggested that maybe the pan was bent. I took it back to the mechanic to have him look at it for me. The pan was bent, he fixed it, came home tried again, still leaking. It looks as if it is leaking between the two rear center bolts on the pan. Someone please give me more ideas on what it could be. This is my daily driver and I need it fixed ASAP!!

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
I've been fighting that problem since I bought my truck, best luck I had was putting Transmission Stop Leak in it and it did the trick.

bobstrat

Reaction score
It looks as if it is leaking between the two rear center bolts on the pan. Someone please give me more ideas on what it could be. This is my daily driver and I need it fixed ASAP!!
maybe loosen all the bolts and start tightening from the center out. i do these with a 1/4 inch drive to help prevent over tightening. they really dont require that much torque. it is also possible for the case to become porous. dont know the hows and whys but ive been told it can happen.

Yardape

Reaction score
The best bet would be clean the tranny the best you can, drive it and check it. Easier to find leaks when its clean

bigtrux

Reaction score
When all else fails drop the pan clean all surfaces get a big tube of permatex ultra black and seal the chit out of it well at least a nice lil bead on both sides of the gasket.. later and good luck and by the way i got the e4od and it leaks too... but still runs good lol

Yardape

Reaction score
I dont know running ultra black is a good idea on a tranny. As far as I can remember tranny fluid will eat it.

bigtrux

Reaction score
I may be wrong on the type but i do beilieve there is one you can use that the tranny fluid won't eat. i do know tranny fluid will eat ole blue sealer. if i remember that's what i used on my tranny/transfercase seal or ultra copper it hasn't leaked yet but i did only use enough to barley coat the surface so it wouldn't bead in the tranny.. but plz if any knows anything you can or shouldn't use plz i liked to know. i going nuts with my tranny gasket leaving it alone fer now...

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno