351w and 351w **

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadkill

Reaction score
Since your Bronco came from California, I think you probably have the standard 351W. I'm just guessing, but the way to tell would probably be the carb. (2 or 4 bbl)

The big changes for 1984 were the introduction of the 351 cid (5.8 Liter) V-8 H.O. motor for 49 state automatic transmission Broncos. This new 4-bbl carbureted motor put out 210 horsepower at 4000rpm versus the standard 351's 156 horsepower at 4000rpm. Although Californians couldn't get this motor they could buy the 300 I-6-cylinder with the 3.55:1 gearing option.
Source for that information is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

MDDYATV

Reaction score
I am sure mine is not the ** but is there any other differences? like heads or was it just the 4bbl carb? If I go to the wrecking yard and the intake and carb or missing how can I tell if it was an ** or not? If I add a 4bbl carb and intake does it make mine a **?

Roadkill

Reaction score
Very good questions. Sorry I don't know the answers. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Yardape and a few other on here really know their stuff in that area. I'm sure you'll have an answer soon :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I also believe the H.O. motors had a different firing order along with the Holley 4160 carb and 4bbl intake.

Yardape

Reaction score
The 351w ** shared the same firing order as all of the other 351's. The ** engine that had a different firing order was the 302, they went to the 351 firing order. As for identification, The ** 351w's had rollers cams, as did the ** 302's. I am unsure of the year that they started with the roller camshafts, but I am pretty sure it wasn't in '84. I do beleive that the only difference from ** to normal engine was the 4bbl intake and carb. Maybe some better heads.

Yardape

Reaction score
I have to argue that point Seabronc. Ford Made a fuel injected 351w ** in the 90's 92 and 93 for sure. They had roller camshafts in them.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I have to argue that point Seabronc. Ford Made a fuel injected 351w ** in the 90's 92 and 93 for sure. They had roller camshafts in them.
I believe you are refering to the 351 Lightning engine at 240 HP. They continued to build what would be considered a ** up thru 96 but didn't call it a **.

:)>-

Yardape

Reaction score
I believe you are refering to the 351 Lightning engine at 240 HP. They continued to build what would be considered a ** up thru 96 but didn't call it a **.
:)>-
What about the 5.8 ** with the roller cam?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The ** was a marketing point in 86 it was no more than a 4 barrel carb supposedly the crank and block were better steel but who knows and as long as it didnt crack who cares . The 5.8 roller motors were at the end of the 351W,s long life and it was probably just a way for ford to use up all those roller lifters and cams they had for the 5.0 **.s before killing off the entire windsor engine family . Most all the later small block fords had dished pistons and low compresion ratios the 1986 5.0 ** did have tight combustion chambers and flat tops but I have never seen that in any stock 351 I have ever torn down and theres been alot of them . I have the intake from an 86 ** 5.8 that I scrapped and when I tore it down thats the only difference I saw . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yardape

Reaction score
Blade, I've been waiting to catch your attention. I have been interested in swapping a 5.0 roller into a different Bronco. It obviously has a different firing order. Any experience to overcome this? My idea is use a 351w computer, but do they have one with aod? Or would you HAVE to use a C-6

OP
OP
M

MDDYATV

Reaction score
So basically a H.O is just a 4bbl with a roller cam? or with a different intake?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The ** 351 up to 86 is just a 4 barrel carb and intake the 5.0 was a roller motor at this point and Im pretty sure most were after that . Late 90,s brought the roller 5.8 and they put this cute little plaque on the intake plenum that said ** pretty much any horsepower increase would be from the lack of resistance to valve train movement from the roller lifters . LOL Seabronc Im no expert :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> As for the swapping of the 5.0 roller it can be done easily but do not change the computer . The 5.8 EEC is calibrated for a certain intake volume per cylinder that the 5.0 is going to be lacking . Being speed density the EEC is preprogrammed with these values and has no way of knowing any better thats why you cant change the camshaft in these motors far from the stock specs the EEC will have a nervous breakdown . So to make a long story short the 5.8 EEC would run rich on your 5.0 pretty much no matter what you did same as useing a 5.0 EEC on a 5.8 it would be lean and the headers would probably glow in the dark . What you will need to do is get a pin out of your EEC theres numbers on the cover of it . The 5.8 order is 13726548 and the 5.0 is 15426378 you can see why they changed over to the 351 order for the 5.0 ** . If you fire 1 then 5 that just put quite the whacking to main number 1 then you frie 4 and 2 theres main number 2,s beating . Now atart trying to wind it up to 8 grand and theres a good chance that parts are going to start flying . The 351 oder distributes the load better you fire 1 then 3 and so on never slamming one main journal with a double load . So what you need to find out is what order you had and trace the injector wires out it is a pain but thats what you gotta do . Now once you find that out and clearly mark it you look at your new order .

302 15426378

351 or 5.0 ** 13726548

Ok now lets say your going from a normal 302 to the ** firing order your injector wiring for numbers 1 , 2 , 6 , and 8 are all going to remain where there at but 5 is going to have to swap with 3 , 4 with 7 , 3 with 5 and 7 with 4 and you would do this right at the deutz connector where the motor harness connects to the EEC harness . Look at the end of the plug the red seperator in the middle will come out then theres a clip on each one that you pull back with a pic and the wire will slide out . Identify the wires and do them one at a time and youll be fine . Once you finish swapping all the wires the EEC will work fine with the new order . The volumes are the same and timing events so your all set . And finally there is an EEC for a 5.8 for a C6 , AOD , E40D , and a manual tranny . Its important to use a computer that supported yoru tranny especially for the E40D being it controls the tranny too but also because the EEC is programmed with different timing curves for lets say a manual tranny VS an AOD yeah it will work but there will be some driveability issues . LOL what else ya wanna know :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yardape

Reaction score
The ** 351 up to 86 is just a 4 barrel carb and intake the 5.0 was a roller motor at this point and Im pretty sure most were after that . Late 90,s brought the roller 5.8 and they put this cute little plaque on the intake plenum that said ** pretty much any horsepower increase would be from the lack of resistance to valve train movement from the roller lifters . LOL Seabronc Im no expert :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> As for the swapping of the 5.0 roller it can be done easily but do not change the computer . The 5.8 EEC is calibrated for a certain intake volume per cylinder that the 5.0 is going to be lacking . Being speed density the EEC is preprogrammed with these values and has no way of knowing any better thats why you cant change the camshaft in these motors far from the stock specs the EEC will have a nervous breakdown . So to make a long story short the 5.8 EEC would run rich on your 5.0 pretty much no matter what you did same as useing a 5.0 EEC on a 5.8 it would be lean and the headers would probably glow in the dark . What you will need to do is get a pin out of your EEC theres numbers on the cover of it . The 5.8 order is 13726548 and the 5.0 is 15426378 you can see why they changed over to the 351 order for the 5.0 ** . If you fire 1 then 5 that just put quite the whacking to main number 1 then you frie 4 and 2 theres main number 2,s beating . Now atart trying to wind it up to 8 grand and theres a good chance that parts are going to start flying . The 351 oder distributes the load better you fire 1 then 3 and so on never slamming one main journal with a double load . So what you need to find out is what order you had and trace the injector wires out it is a pain but thats what you gotta do . Now once you find that out and clearly mark it you look at your new order .
302 15426378

351 or 5.0 ** 13726548

Ok now lets say your going from a normal 302 to the ** firing order your injector wiring for numbers 1 , 2 , 6 , and 8 are all going to remain where there at but 5 is going to have to swap with 3 , 4 with 7 , 3 with 5 and 7 with 4 and you would do this right at the deutz connector where the motor harness connects to the EEC harness . Look at the end of the plug the red seperator in the middle will come out then theres a clip on each one that you pull back with a pic and the wire will slide out . Identify the wires and do them one at a time and youll be fine . Once you finish swapping all the wires the EEC will work fine with the new order . The volumes are the same and timing events so your all set . And finally there is an EEC for a 5.8 for a C6 , AOD , E40D , and a manual tranny . Its important to use a computer that supported yoru tranny especially for the E40D being it controls the tranny too but also because the EEC is programmed with different timing curves for lets say a manual tranny VS an AOD yeah it will work but there will be some driveability issues . LOL what else ya wanna know :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What else do I want to know? How much time do you have? I just put a bid in on a 95 F-350 2wd. It has a 5.8, If I decided to swap this in instead of my 460, what are the problems that will have to be addressed. I have a 302 with an AOD. and its an '89. Can I stuff this in and get a computer from a 89 with a 5.8 or is everything different. All sensors and whatnot. What can remain, what do I have to change? I would like to use the aod thats in my Bronco now.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hmmmmm well useing the EEC from the 95 with your AOD isnt going to work so best bet would be if you want the 5.8 would be to first find an engine harness from an 89 with a 5.8 that way you wont have to repin . Then you must have an EEC for a 5.8 with an AOD that would be ideal and shouldnt be hard to find . When I swapped out my 302 I bought the EEC from a member here that had one from that era for a 5.8 with a C6 and that was exactly what I was doing and I already had an engine harness for a 5.8 from a 91 but I did have to repin it they changed the cab harness somewhere in 90 that kinda sucked but it wasnt bad . I dont have an EEC for your combination I have one for a 5.8 with an E40D and one for a 302 with an AOD and I just got one for a 302 with mass air and an E40D ( not sure what Im going to do with that one yet kinda checking to see if it will support a 5.8 ) If you look on fordfuelinjection.com youll find a chart with EEC tear tag numbers and what combination they were then start searching ebay . I think I bought the one I needed for $100 so if you can get under that its probably a good deal . How much time do I have ?? Well not enough it seems most of the time but Ill help when I can :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yardape

Reaction score
Hmmmmm well useing the EEC from the 95 with your AOD isnt going to work so best bet would be if you want the 5.8 would be to first find an engine harness from an 89 with a 5.8 that way you wont have to repin . Then you must have an EEC for a 5.8 with an AOD that would be ideal and shouldnt be hard to find . When I swapped out my 302 I bought the EEC from a member here that had one from that era for a 5.8 with a C6 and that was exactly what I was doing and I already had an engine harness for a 5.8 from a 91 but I did have to repin it they changed the cab harness somewhere in 90 that kinda sucked but it wasnt bad . I dont have an EEC for your combination I have one for a 5.8 with an E40D and one for a 302 with an AOD and I just got one for a 302 with mass air and an E40D ( not sure what Im going to do with that one yet kinda checking to see if it will support a 5.8 ) If you look on fordfuelinjection.com youll find a chart with EEC tear tag numbers and what combination they were then start searching ebay . I think I bought the one I needed for $100 so if you can get under that its probably a good deal . How much time do I have ?? Well not enough it seems most of the time but Ill help when I can :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
LOL, right on. If I win the bid I will have more questions for ya. I ran the VIN tonight and it came back as a 95. So they were close. I should get it for under $1000.00 and its in pretty nice shape.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar