Coolant lines running into throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alwaysoffroad

Reaction score
I had a coolant line blow. It is one of the lines that goes to the throttle body and after I fixed it I was wondering why it needs to heat the trottle body. My question is do I really need coolant lines running to my throttle body in a hot climate. Can I just bypass them? I am always seeing new products that will cool the air going into the intake not heating it up. Thankyou in advance for any help.

Yardape

Reaction score
No you shouldn't need it in a hot climate. If you remove it, consider picking up a throttle body off an '86. They didn't have that option.

OP
OP
A

alwaysoffroad

Reaction score
No you shouldn't need it in a hot climate. If you remove it, consider picking up a throttle body off an '86. They didn't have that option.
Thanks

Another question on throttle bodies. Are those throttle body spacers worth buying? Also which aftermarket throttle bodies do you suggest? Thanks

snowman74

Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Cucamongan

Reaction score
I had a coolant line blow. It is one of the lines that goes to the throttle body and after I fixed it I was wondering why it needs to heat the throttle body. My question is do I really need coolant lines running to my throttle body in a hot climate. Can I just bypass them? I am always seeing new products that will cool the air going into the intake not heating it up. Thank you in advance for any help.
Is that why coolant is running through the Throttle Body? To heat it up when cold?

Does it actually help or do anything? Does it help in cold weather?

snowman74

Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!
Reaction score
I don't know about the line on throttle bodies, but on some old gm vehicles, the heater hose looped up by the carb...something to do with the kick-off on the choke mechanism. I wonder if the hose goes to the throttle body for purposes of temperature measurement in the fuel delivery system. I'll be interested to find out if somebody posts on that.

Snowman74

Roadkill

Reaction score
I don't know about the line on throttle bodies, but on some old gm vehicles, the heater hose looped up by the carb...something to do with the kick-off on the choke mechanism. I wonder if the hose goes to the throttle body for purposes of temperature measurement in the fuel delivery system. I'll be interested to find out if somebody posts on that.Snowman74
A whole bunch of years ago, I had a '78 AMC with their Inline 6. It, too, had coolant lines running to the carb. They controlled the choke on that motor. To warm the incoming air in cold weather, the air was routed over the exhaust manifold.

bidibronco

Reaction score
Just a thought... If you have coolant lines going into the thing between the oil filter and block it's an oil cooler so wouldn't the lines going into the trottle body make it a throttle body cooler? Just what I always thought???

OP
OP
A

alwaysoffroad

Reaction score
That throttle body cooler is an interesting idea. The intake manifold does get really hot. There must of been some reason they changed to this type of throttle body. Somebody out there must know the reason this was built into the throttle bodies.

KansasBronco

Reaction score
yeah, i took off all the engine warming up stuff.... my carb has only the choke, fuel lines and breather lines going to it. nothin more nothing less. it hasnt changed it at all except it takes longer ot warm up! oh well.... lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke