Help, how in the world do you get at the thermostat?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
I have the radiator out and I also need to change out the thermostat and I just cant get at one of the bolts to remove the hose mount thing that retains the thermostat. Do I have to take off all the accessories to do this?

Seabronc

Reaction score
I have the radiator out and I also need to change out the thermostat and I just cant get at one of the bolts to remove the hose mount thing that retains the thermostat. Do I have to take off all the accessories to do this?
That is the "Water neck", how about a box wrench? Other than that, I think you are doomed to have to remove whatever is in the way.

:)>-

OP
OP
Broncosaurus!

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
yeah there is just no room to turn anything, my ratchet wrench is too long, all my wrenches are too long actually, I dont have a crows foot but I'd also need a stubby ratchet but I dont think there would be room for the ratchet to plug in anyway. I'm going to go get the haynes manual, i've liked them a lot better than this POS book, then just pull the waterpump and fan and what not.

OP
OP
Broncosaurus!

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
Haynes manual says just take out the bolts like it's no big deal. I took off the water pump and the accessories and crap and still couldn't get a socket on it because the back ****** of where the water pump mounts is still in the way b-( . Ended up cutting my 1/2 comb wrench in half to be able to do it, really wish I would have done that in the first place, but then I might have missed out on all the fun :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

Roadkill

Reaction score
Now you've got a special tool in case you ever have to do it again. (or help a friend with a 302) I've got a drawer fool of "special" tools that I have made by cutting, bending, or welding together "normal" tools when I couldn't find what I needed or it was a special factory tool with a ridiculously high price.

Redneckn

Reaction score
I had to take mine to a shop, because i broke my distributer trying to get at mine. Fella there told me they use a crows foot to get at it...

Yardape

Reaction score
Now you've got a special tool in case you ever have to do it again. (or help a friend with a 302) I've got a drawer fool of "special" tools that I have made by cutting, bending, or welding together "normal" tools when I couldn't find what I needed or it was a special factory tool with a ridiculously high price.
That reminds me of my father inlaw. He needed new axle bearings on his 9 inch from his 81 F-150. We yanked the axles, went to the shop to get the bearings pressed off, they said $13.00 for each axle. He freaked, spazzed on them saying that it would only take a second for each axle, how can they charge 13.00 a second? I just laughed at him. We left and spent 2 days looking for steel, all the scrapyards we could think of. Finally we had all the parts gathered up and he started to build his own press. Took him 2 weeks of steady cutting grinding and fabbing, 300.00 in materials. Everytime I went over, wife and I were dating at the time so it was everyday. He was working on this stupid thing. Finally he got it done, and pressed out his bearings. Said to **** if the think I am paying 13.00 an axle for a frigging bearing. You should see this thing is huge, you can probably get a chevy pickup in there on end and flatten it. He has used it maybe 4 or 5 times since. That was about 10 years ago.

Roadkill

Reaction score
I was talking more along the lines of making costum length extenion (for example where a six inch is too short and 8 inch is too long and nobody sells a 7 inch). I have never gone to the exteme of your father-in-law. But as I get older, I also seem to get cheaper so you never know...

bobstrat

Reaction score
Haynes manual says just take out the bolts like it's no big deal. I took off the water pump and the accessories and crap and still couldn't get a socket on it because the back ****** of where the water pump mounts is still in the way b-( . Ended up cutting my 1/2 comb wrench in half to be able to do it, really wish I would have done that in the first place, but then I might have missed out on all the fun :wacko:
1/4 drive with a short extension and a what is it 10mm or 11mm (?) doesnt sit perfectly on there but it'll get it loose.

OP
OP
Broncosaurus!

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
well i got the water pump back on and everything else, but while getting some clips transfered over from the old radiator, my new radiator tipped over into the corner of the old one, and put a hole in the new one. :(( I tried fixing it with some of this special aluminum solder type stuff, but it didnt hold. I dont know what to do but I cant wait to sell this beast.

Cocobum

Reaction score
Mine was actually really easy to replace, I just used a mini adjustable wrench and it fit perfect. If your looking at it from the front you can take the mini adjustable wrench and fit it to the right of the bolt (don't have a huge amount of room to work with, but it will get the job done no problem).

This is like the one I have

http://www2.shopping.com/xPC-Cvf_Supply_4_...ages.google.com

Hope that helps

Roadkill

Reaction score
well i got the water pump back on and everything else, but while getting some clips transfered over from the old radiator, my new radiator tipped over into the corner of the old one, and put a hole in the new one. :(( I tried fixing it with some of this special aluminum solder type stuff, but it didnt hold. I dont know what to do but I cant wait to sell this beast.
If the damage is not severe, a radiator shop should be able to fix it pretty easy. They will also presure test it when they finnish so you don't have to install it and just hope it doesnt leak. I don't know what they would charge nowadays, but I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper than buying another new radiator.

snowman74

Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!
Reaction score
I've just read through this thread and I have to convey my empathy to Broncosaurus! Often times, our little projects become big freakin disasters...through no fault of our own, of course. I've been scratching my head for months now at my injector wiring harness issue. The damn thing just hasn't been hitting on all eight, and I have done everything I know to remedy that. I found a wiring diagram (with paired color denotation) to track down my possible wiring mistake. Finally took it to my friends shop...and, the wires I fixed are all fine. The problem is the wires on the OTHER SIDE, under the upper intake plenum. So, I've got to yank the upper intake off to replace the wiring to the injectors on the passenger side now...because you just can't get to them unless you do. Friend wanted $300 to do that. I can do it for the cost of a plenum gasket. But, as it never fails, I am SURE I will run into some other little problem when I do. I'll be so happy when this thing is running again. Good luck to all!

Snowman74 :)>-

Cucamongan

Reaction score
That reminds me of my father inlaw. He needed new axle bearings on his 9 inch from his 81 F-150. We yanked the axles, went to the shop to get the bearings pressed off, they said $13.00 for each axle. He freaked, spazzed on them saying that it would only take a second for each axle, how can they charge 13.00 a second? I just laughed at him. We left and spent 2 days looking for steel, all the scrapyards we could think of. Finally we had all the parts gathered up and he started to build his own press. Took him 2 weeks of steady cutting grinding and fabbing, 300.00 in materials. Everytime I went over, wife and I were dating at the time so it was everyday. He was working on this stupid thing. Finally he got it done, and pressed out his bearings. Said to **** if the think I am paying 13.00 an axle for a frigging bearing. You should see this thing is huge, you can probably get a chevy pickup in there on end and flatten it. He has used it maybe 4 or 5 times since. That was about 10 years ago.
LOL thats funny. I give that guy a big hand, not for the penny pinching, but for the incredible motivation to go out and make a friggin' huge machine to get something else little project done.

Geez, I feel like a total slacker compared to him. He took an extra 2 weeks to get something done. Now thats motivation!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke