8.8 Axle Seals Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thornbirdguy

Reaction score
when i bought my '91 i saw a little moisture on the L/R backing plate. took the drum off to change what i thought was a bad wheel cylinder and there was gear oil everywhere. so, i got the seals. i have replaced 1 pair of axle seals in my life and that was 7 years ago and on a 9". any help here is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
I haven't done this on my Bronco, but according to the Service Manual;

Using Tool T50T-100-A and T83T-1225 insert into the bore and positioning it behind the bearing so the tangs engage the bearing outer race. Remove the bearing ans seal as a unit using a slide hammer tool.

Insertion - lubricate the new bearing with rear axle lubricant and install the bearing into the housing bore using tool T83T-1225-B.

Pack the lips of the seal with Multi-purpose long life lubricant C1AZ-19590-B or equivalent and install the seal using tool T83T-1175-A.

CAUTION: Installation of the bearing or seal assembly without the proper tool may result in an early bearing or seal failure. If the steal becomes cocked in the bore during installation, remove it and install a new one.

(Those tool numbers amount to a seal removal tool, slide hammer and two sizes of an insertion tool)

Hope that helps.

Oh yah, you have to remove the drive shaft first of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roadkill

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the 91's have c-clips.

If they do, then yes you have to remove the cover, cross pin retaining bolt, and crosspin. Then push in the axle and pull the c-clip off. The book says something about the retaining bolt being one time use, or 5 time use depending on the thread locking method. I would just replace it requardless to be on the safe side. It cost about $3 at NAPA and you definately would not want it to come loose while drive (that would be very bad)

Yardape

Reaction score
Don't you have to open the diff and take off the C-clip on the axle ends to be able to remove the axles?
That is correct, 8.8 have the retaining clips, that way you dont have to worry about the axle staying in the truck if you break an axle.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke