transfer case fluid...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneckn

Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing my t-case fluid. I have a question.

It's a BorgWarner 1345.

On the back side there are 2 pipe plugs. The lower one I used to drain it. The upper one, I am using to refill. Problem. Fluid runs out of that hole long before I put in the amount that the partshouse guy says it should take. He said 4 quarts. That's about what came out of it.

Is there another place I am s'posed to be putting the fluid in at? Or is it just that messy of a job?

Thanks.

One other thing. They parts fella gave me Dexron III. I pulled up a site that said it should be Dexron II. Now I'm even more confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Redneckn

Redneckn

Reaction score
So, is the Dextron III ok to use in it?

I got to thinking about him giving me 4 qts and figured he was making sure I would have enough since you get it everywhere when trying to put it in. I ended up using a cap that looks like a glue apprlicator cap that would ***** onto the fluid bottle.

Roadkill

Reaction score
So, is the Dextron III ok to use in it?
Dexron and Mercon are GM and Ford lables for automatic transmission fluid. Each number increase is supposed to mean some type of improvement and the fluids are meant to phase out the lower numbers. Here as an article on the subject. You should be fine with the Dexron III

I got to thinking about him giving me 4 qts and figured he was making sure I would have enough since you get it everywhere when trying to put it in. I ended up using a cap that looks like a glue apprlicator cap that would ***** onto the fluid bottle.
For about $10 at a parts store you can get an oil transfer gun. It looks like a grease gun but has a plain rubber hose instead of a grease adapter on it. A very usefull tool when working on differentials, t-case, manual transmisions. Can also be used to get fluid out of things (like the front diff on your TTB or your power steering pump if you overfill it)

By the way, I put a response to your winch question in the VIP section. Enjoy! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
Redneckn

Redneckn

Reaction score
Roadkill...Oil transfer gun...I'll have to check that out. I tried a turkey baster.. That didnt work. I tried a little funnel with a hose on the end of it, that didnt work. I'm getting one of those... You'd think I know about these kinds of things since I wrench on small engines all the time... I guess since I was taught everything by old school guys, I only know the old school methods....And you know the official old school motto: We reject anything new because we know better...

Thanks y'all, seriously. I have a ton of stuff to do today on my work truck and really did not want to have to spend that time working on my truck. But I have to have my truck ready to drive in the morning for school.

Y'all are GREAT.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke