Want Your Input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I just completed some major modifications to my engine, put stock 4bbl intake manafold back on, rebuilt and installed standard Ford holly 4bbl, changed some worn lifter parts to get rid of noise in that area, built and installed new vacuum harness, reinstalled all emission systems that were removed bya previous owner. Now my question.

When removing valve cover I found that area of the engine full of old oil gunk so I cleaned it up. When changing oil, before starting it again, I found fund gas in the oil. I would guess there was about a gallon or more based on the amount that I collected in a bucket. I was surpsrised but not too, because I had to replace the fuel pump which had a bad diaphram. The surprise was the amount of gas, talk about a truck bomb.

Yada yada yada! I was going to use Gunk Engine Flush to clean out the oil system, has anyone done that before? Good or bad results? It can only be left in for 5 minutes while running the engine and then you musst do a oil and filter change.

:)>-

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
Gunk Engine flush is nothing but kerosine. But works well if you have sludge build up. I put a quart of kerosine in at every oil change. Get the engine good and hot before adding. Run for 5 to 10 minutes, and change.

When I bought by Bronco, it had a valve cover leak, Man I had to dig handfulls of crap out of there. Just changed my lower intake gasket this weekend...looks like a new motor in there now.

Watch your oil pressure...in 3 oil changes, I went through 6 filters. Lets you know it's working.

redneckpunk

Reaction score
there are a lot of factors to consider first did you replace all the gaskets lately then how many miles are on the vehicle unless you have replaced all the gaskets i wouldnt do it if it is over 100,000 what happens is the cleaner ( a mixture of kerosene and diesel fuel) it will wash all the crap that is holding the oil in wash it all away and cause it to leak sometimes most engine flush companys like pyroil wont guarantee it if it is over 80.000 by the way pyroil is a division of ashland inc who owns valvoline. if you have a good strong engine and you trust the gaskets then go ahead and flush it every two to three oil changes it is not necessary or recommended to flush it every time if you dont trust the gaskets then you might want to use a softer cleaner believe it or not that would be a half quart of trans fluid dex III to be exact it is not as harsh but cleans just as well

trust me i have been working at volvoline for almost 8 years it will work

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
Haven't done it yet. That is why I asked the question. I don't have a clue about the history of this engine. The leak possibility was in the back of my mind.

Thanks to the both of you for your input, still giving it some thought.

:)>-

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
I agree w/Redneck Punk.....All of my gaskets and seals are new(I can not stand the smell of burning oil).

Kerosine is only $1.50 a gallon, while GUNK is around $4.00 a quart.

Using a low weight oil, and replacing a quart w/ trans fluid is much easier on gaskets, and I have done this to stop a lifter from ticking. If your engine is as sludged up as you say.... I would go the Gunk or kerosine route a couple times first. If a gasket starts leaking..replace it.

Also, Did you clean the oil return passages through the head while you had the valve covers off?

BRONCO JIM

Reaction score
Hello there. You might want to try Berrymans B 12 fuel inj. cleaner. The can says you can use it to flush motor. $5 is about the cost. I ve used it twice and it cleans superior to any kero.mixture,and drains almost completely out,not like kero.which may cause tou to change oil and filters a few times. BJ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar