Rear window issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trailmule

Reaction score
I am having a problem getting my back window to go down/up. Window motor is good but the window keeps jumping off the track inside the tailgate.It only has issues on the passenger side. It will go down and then get realllly slow going down as if it has too much drag on the inside(which it does when it's off the felt track). I am not too concerned with getting it fixed right now but I have a feeling it will require replacing the entire tailgate. Correct?

Anyways, just wanted to hear what yous have to say.

And this weekend we are replacing the power steering pump. Fun. Not. But I miss having powersteering. 0:)

Yardape

Reaction score
is your tailgat rusty? your track might just be bent, one day when you have a buddy over, open the tailgate trip the locking mechanism and open the inspection panel. Have your buddy control the button while you are watching the window track. When you see it come out of the track, mark the location and compare it to the other side, it should be simple to see if the track is bent or damaged in some way. Then just try and tweak it so it aligned proper.

OP
OP
trailmule

trailmule

Reaction score
I'll have to try that. The last time I dealt with it, I put it down and couldn't get it back up. So my boyfriends dad helped put the window back in the track. That was complicated as we couldn't do what we wanted to through the inspection panel. Ended up pulling off th rubber thing on the upper corner of the tailgate to eventually get it back in. Now I don't put it down more that 2/3 inches for ventilation sometimes.

So I'll try that and see if that works. I'll let yous know.

Thank yardape

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
I have a set of rear window tracks for the 87-96 bronco. I ended up replacing my tailgate because the window was broken out, the talgate itself looked like it was hit and it was all over rusty. Let me know if you want the set of tracks.

OP
OP
trailmule

trailmule

Reaction score
I may be interested.... where in the northeast are you located? How much would you be asking for them? If that's all I need, I'd rather just get tracks for now than buy a new tailgate.

White90Bronco

Reaction score
My 1990 is doing the same thing. I think(99.9% sure) the problem is that the striker bolts are loose and my tailgate is not shutting flush against the body and the tracks aren't completely line up like they're supposed to be, so you my looking at that too.

snowman74

Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!
Reaction score
The tracks themselves are not adjustable. They are fixed via two bolts to either side of the inside of the gate. If the tailgate is straight, there should not be any deviation from a straight up down motion. The only thing I can think of that would cause the window to pop out would be a bent track, a bent gate or a bent regulator arm. If the gate is not lined up properly, I could see where the top would increase resistance on the glass when rolling up...same goes for a bent track, gate or regulator arm. Also, the tracks only work one way. If you replace them, make certain they follow the curvature of the glass.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno