Will A 78-79 Lift Fit An 86?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stomper4x4

Reaction score
The 78/79 uses a solid axle in the front, and your 86 has the twin traction beam front suspension. To lift the 86, you need drop down brackets for the axle beams, and extended radius arms, or drop brackets for the factory arms. This in addition to the usual springs, drop pitman arm, brake lines, shocks etc. Also, the twin traction beam has a different lower mount for the coil springs, so I don't think the earlier coils will fit, not positive though. Take a look at skyjacker or someones web site and see what they include to lift the TTB, it will give you an idea. I suggest you just order a kit and do it right the first time :)>-

crash

Reaction score
I have been talking to a guy at 4wheel parts that seems to know alot about broncos and rangers. I am swaping out the TTB on my 94 for a solid axle Dana44 and he orderd a lift off for a 79. He said I could put the new coils in my Bronco with the existing upper spring bucket. I am not sure about the bottom. See if you can get the whole bronco from the guy and convert that puppy. :huh:

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
yes, if you get the 78/9 axle it'll slide right under. you'll have to use the 78/9 coils a R-arms. you'll have to redrill for the arms and use a late 80 early 90's F350 trac bar and you'll be good to go.

OP
OP
S

Sturgell

Reaction score
He let the old bronco go in a trade for something who knows lol. I will ebay the parts for him and i get paid for doing that so I might just buy a used lift from someone...but only after the little yellow mustangs bottom end is put back together. Anyone ever heard of too much oilpressure??? My 91 5.0 Lx mustang too a shit on me one morning on the way to school, the check valve on the oil pump stuck open and it pumped a little too much oil and blew off the filter drove it 3 miles without oil put oil in it after school vroom busted off didnt even knock then it did it like 5 more times all in my driveway. To try to clean it out we used tranny fluid and a quart of B12 chemtool lucky for us the b12 washed out the bearings and it started knocking like ****. Oh well drive a chevy 4 miles without oil (getting the shit drove out of it) put oil in it and see if it will start without knocking...my point that is why I own fords...

James Sturgell
clap.gif
/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /><' />

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
if you've still got the d44ttb in your 87. ya better keep and eye on your frontend. the 78/9 bronco coil perches on the axle are diffirent. the the 80+ ttb's. the top spring bucket/perch are the same. take a spring from a 78/9 and place it next to a 80+ 4wd and you'll see the diffirence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948