Lights Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Helmmet

Reaction score
When I'm driving my 79 Bronco, my headlights turn off and then back on in +/- 60 sec. Does anyone know what I need to replace/fix?

Krafty

Reaction score
your head light switch in the dash may be the culprit, mine would go out randomly or flash a couple times then go out. I would turn off the switch then turn it back on and sometimes they would come back on and sometimes not, it was sketchy, also check for exposed wires that could be grounding out randomly.

OP
OP
H

Helmmet

Reaction score
your head light switch in the dash may be the culprit, mine would go out randomly or flash a couple times then go out. I would turn off the switch then turn it back on and sometimes they would come back on and sometimes not, it was sketchy, also check for exposed wires that could be grounding out randomly.
Thanks for the help, I was hoping not to have to trace all the wires, but it might be the only option left. Sorry for posting this in both forums....I'm new to this computer stuff/forums. Is this the best forum on this site for tech info?

Krafty

Reaction score
this is the best spot for tech related comments, questions and techniques, but no matter where you post there is a large collection of us who are gear heads that jump around from section to section, so usually no matter where the post is someone will respond hopefully with some kind of soloution.

oh and welcome to the zone. just cause your new here, here are links to sites that carry almost all the parts under the sun that you could need for your bronco, f100, f150, f 250, and f350's

http://broncograveyard.com/

http://www.lmctruck.com/

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Mine did the same dam thing,I kept hitting the high beam switch thinking it was that but it WAS the headlamp switch.It would do it after driving with the lights one for a while.I guess long enough to heat the switch up.Once I changed it,No more problem.... :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
H

Helmmet

Reaction score
To close off......I changed both headlight swithches, cleaned all the grounds and have ordered a heavy headlight harness with relays. I'm told the headlights are going to be 30% brighter. The harness ties into existing wiring and is located after the high/low beam switch.

Seabronc

Reaction score
To close off......I changed both headlight swithches, cleaned all the grounds and have ordered a heavy headlight harness with relays. I'm told the headlights are going to be 30% brighter. The harness ties into existing wiring and is located after the high/low beam switch.
That is true, with a heavy duty light harness you will see a significant increase in the brightness of the head lights. The heavy duty harness has larger wire for less resistance and voltage drop. Also, the voltage is supplied directly from the battery rather than the same circuit that supplies voltage for other parts of the truck.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

muddrivermike

Reaction score
The harness you ordered,Is it specific for these trucks or is it just some universal kit you tie in?I hate my headlamps dimness,I thought about getting those silverstar headlamps that I keep hearing good things about but they are just about $20 each.Im very good at electrical systems and know how to tie that set up in but wanted to know if it was a complete kit you ordered,and where did you order it from,,,Thanks Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AUTiger71