Can ABS be bypassed/deleted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott8

Reaction score
Hello all. So I just replaced the tie rods and linkage, rotors, pads, a few brake lines, and all the fluid. I bled them okay, but thought it could be better so brought it to NTB for an alignment and another brake bleed. They charged me $100 for a "flush" and the pedal was the same as when I brought it in. Somewhat disappointed, I drove home only to experience a jerky brake pedal when softly applied. At the worst point, I barely pushed it and the brakes locked up for a split second.

Any ideas as to what this is? I'm guessing it is the ABS system acting up. Can I delete it? Or is there a way to fix the ABS?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
What year is this? 4 wheel abs?

You can just unlug the ABS motor and take it for a drive, see how it feels. Usually doing this will change the pedal travel but braking should be consistent if that is your problem.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
The ABS controllers on these are Very hard to find ... and there are only a few folks rebuilding them. You cannot use the controllers from the F150 either.

You can by-pass the entire ABS system by installing a proportioning value after the master .... you want like 60% of the braking up front and the rest to the rear.

Some hard-core wheelers love this modification ... do a google search. Plenty of folks have done this.

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
What year is this? 4 wheel abs?

You can just unlug the ABS motor and take it for a drive, see how it feels. Usually doing this will change the pedal travel but braking should be consistent if that is your problem.
It's a 96, but built in a Venezuelan factory, so norms don't apply. It's a 4 wheel drive, but don't know if it's 4 wheel ABS. I'll look to find the ABS motor and see what happens when I unplug it. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daffster13