93 VIN Mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RR-Texas

Reaction score
So I just went to try and buy a trans filter and fluid, auto parts asks me does it have 14 or 18 bolts as it is suppose to be a C6 according to the seller? It had 20, so it is a E40D transmission, says so in the owner guide ok. As I look through the guide some more it shows how to read the Vin for the engine displacement mine has a big 5.8 on the intake, yet the Vin letter is an N which should mean it is a 302? The serpentine belt I replaced I bought for a 5.8 and I fit so now I am confused about the Vin letter?

It has a H9 axle code which should be a Traction-Loc 3.55 and E for the trans code which is the E40D

Thanks,

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:

Krafty

Reaction score
the 302 could have been swapped for the 5.8 at some point which would explain the vin code, if it has OD then that rules out c6 because c4 and c6 transmissions were 3 speed. if it had the od off button on the shifter then it is and has always been a E4OD.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo, I agree KRAFTY on eng swap and its an E4OD

E4OD have 20 pan bolts; P-R-N-D-2-1 shifter pattern - shift indicator pic by Chris A

picture-011.jpg

Trans code: E

Later we could possibly see if the EEC was swapped for the 5.8 unit.

Such as in "EEC Program Codes"

"Every computer has a main sticker on the 60-pin connector that identifies the computer and holds the most information about the computer. If you have an EEC in your hands and wonder what it came out of this list is for you.

I would not be upset if you printed this page off for your records...

see more w/Code List @ http://oldfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=17

by Ryan M

Swap Info for 5.0 to 5.8

Source: by urban_cowboy

For all you who are looking at upgrading, here is my story. I have spent the last month working on getting my 5.0 I swapped to a 5.8. After much deliberation, I decided to go with a complete kit from Jasper. The package included injection system, block, computer, and most everything else excluding accessories like the water pump, fuel pump, AC, and Alternator....

=========

Other ID stuff;

quickest and easiest way to ID a 5.0 from 5.8 is to look at the EGR tube. 5.0L Tube is connected to an exhaust passage in the intake manifold and then goes to the EGR Valve, while the 5.8L is connected to the passenger side exhaust manifold

Location pic in a 5.0

egr-engine-bay.jpg

Source: by cyclonegrey

Location pic in a 5.8

img_1619.jpg

Source: by TRUCKY18

The positive ID is to measure the lower intake

5.0 is aprox ~ 8 inches wide

5.8 is aporx ~ 11 inches wide

by Ryan M

Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) Decal; Contains Vacuum Diagram & Calibration Parts List for 88 & UP. On-Line for Free at Ford. Click "Quick Guides" in left panel; Scroll to & CLICK VECI Labels "Provides Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) and a related calibration parts list." Enter applicable info (need to know your Calibration number from your B-pillar sticker). Vacuum Diagram is the same as the one on the core support or hood or air filter cover. Suggest Right Clicking this Hot Link & Open in New Window

Source: by Ford motorcraftservice.com

will show engine size

See if you can find the Build Sheet; it will list VIN; and Engine (N for 5.0) & Trans Code (E for E4OD)

Build Sheet Location Synopsis; Locations vary because it depended upon who threw it in the Bronco on the production line vs. those who took time to place it same place for many years:

the rear threshhold has to be removed to fold the carpet forward and expose the target area of the cargo floor.

under the driver's or passenger side carpet,

in the fiberglass top hidden behind the rear trim piece,

driver's side in a 79 by Ziggy; was under the rubber mat

under the driver's seat in a 78 by Scoop; under my carpet

on the right side in the back in a 92 by M. Cardholder;

under the carpet directly behind the front passenger seat,

Under the cardboard spacer sheet/heat shield in an 88 by Dustball;

under the drivers side of your front seat between the seat springs and the cushion in an 86 F 150 by Hoxviii

underneath the carpet under the drivers seat and another in the back end underneath the carpet in an 88 by Xris; Ive found them in the back seat front seat Passenger floor Board and head liner. Gently feel your back seat for paper under the vinyl. Same with the back and then under the seats. Possibly under passenger carpeting/ rubber mat in a 78 by F1rocco;

under my rear deck carpet and padding, taped to the bed in an 89 by Buckin' 89Bronco.

I have not been able to obtain Code Legends for all components that are not easily identified, but it would be good to see if your sheet is still in-place and readable.

Helms charges $17.00 for a "Basic" Sheet and $48.00 for a "Deluxe" sheet (shows same as Basic plus production numbers and a signature). Helms is Ford's Official Publisher for Ford EVTMs, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, etc.

http://www.shopfordgear.com/find.asp?session=59B01C99D9D7492DA58FD2CDE2996576&search%5Ftype=by%5Fdept&dept%5Fid=16&d=16&c=48652YHNOREJJK4&s=

Will look like this one that used to be sent for free by Ford;

Build Sheet Information (Ford 999 Report) in an 85

Source: by equivalent

ru_build_sheet.jpg

see if this is what Helms id's as Basic or Deluxe.

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Cool Information!! Thanks guys!

Yeah it is for sure the E40D, shift indicator is as pictured here and in the guide, I am headed downstairs to check the EGR set up and look for the build sheet

Glad we got wi-fi! Then to head to my laptop to print all this info! Heavy truck mechanic/Harley by trade and somewhat either OCD or just very **** so as I learn something I like to save it, heck in the future I might be able to assist as y'all have been helping me!

For sure a 5.8 the EGR tube runs to the exhaust, I have not checked the computer yet to see what the motor came from, had some rain this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK