86 302 Oil Pan Gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dltnjest

Reaction score
So from what ive read and could find, it seems the engine has to be lifted out, or the tranny needs to be unbolted from the rack. This seems ridiculous for something as an oil pan. I looked at it and its leaking literally like half a court an hour.. Its undriveable almost. I see a big support bar thing from wheel to wheel if I recall in the way. I bought a one-piece Felpro gasket, but it doesnt look like it will be able to go on. Just looking for clarification before I go mess something up. Also, if any other method would be easier, let me know. Thanks, Dalton.

PS. 86 Bronco w/ 302

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I believe on this site.., someone did a write-up or had a link to how this is done (with pics). Seems it involved un-bolting the motor mounts, jack'n up eng., dropping pan enough to remove oil pump..., then removing pan.

It wasn't all that easy but prob. less work than pull'n the eng.

Again this is just fr. memory & not complete.

Best I can do..., :-" they may chime in upon seeing this post.

Krafty

Reaction score
I didnt write up the article he was refering too but I have done it, you unbolt the motor mounts either use a jack or some sort of overhead lift like a chain fall or a cherry picker and raise the engine up 2-3 inches depending on how much firewall room you have, drop the oil pan, remove the old gasket, then fish the new gasket under and around the oil sump onto the oil pan. put a couple bolts through the pan and gasket to hold it in the right spot as you reinstall the oil pan, tourqe evenly starting from the middle working outward alternating from side to side. lower the engine and bolt up the motor mounts. with one of the other 2 piece gaskets its not nessicary to lift the engine but it makes the job easier.

rustyoldbronco

Reaction score
Im not a mechanic,but I bought a chinese engine hoist,pulled my 302 out,put a one piece felpro in.but I took it all the way out and did several things to it.Donn

nelbur

Reaction score
Are you SURE the oil is coming from the oil pan gasket? I believe the oil level is lower than the gasket. The oil is splashing around when running, but the leak should stop quickly with the engine shut off if, it is the gasket. A leak on just about anything on the motor will drip down and look like it is the pan gasket or the rear main seal. Just make sure the leak is not somewhere else, so you don't waste your effort.

OP
OP
D

Dltnjest

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, maybe ill try to get a hoist and attempt to do it. And yes Nelbur, it looks like the circular part on the front has a hole in the front of it, so it just leaks out. Any knowledge on an average time this takes?

Krafty

Reaction score
time depends on skill, drive/energy and whether or not beer is involved. but my guess is around 1.5 to 2 hours all said and done.

rustyoldbronco

Reaction score
The oil pan leaks I have had are always around where the bottom of the timing chain cover hits.I have been using those Felpro one piece.They cost twice what the ford motorsports cost,but I have,had good luck with them 19.99 vs 39.99,@ summit.My engine hoist and motor stand,were from Sams club.They are Chinese unfortunately,but they work great and I could afford them.Donn

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948