1980 XLT-First Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noblewon

Reaction score
Greetings board members,

I just picked up a 1980 Bronco 351 XLT. It's a bit rough, but the price was right-got it for $1,150. I had (still have) a Nissan Titan SE 4X4 crew cab that I rolled just a few days ago and had to pick something else up that will work in snow country in the winter. It needs some carb work to pass smog but the engine looks clean, no leaks, good compression and clean spark plugs.

Now my main question is on the 351W, I'm not a Ford guy but my basic understanding is that the 351W didn't really start coming out in full production until 1982 when the 351M ran out. Did any 1980 Broncos have stock 351 Windsor small blocks or would this be a newer engine if it is indeed a 351W? I haven't got that far into it yet, need to check the serials on the engine block but the VIN checks out with KBB as one of the more rare Broncos with a value 5X that of other Broncos from the same year.

I'll have some pics posted soon, too dark right now as I'm waiting for the sun to rise so I can put in a stereo system. I have big plans for this rig, I live in Northern California in the Sierra Foothills and I love to hunt, fish, camp and just get out in nature with my wife and kids.

Pics will follow, but based on what is described so far did I do good with this choice? Thanks in advance.

EDIT

Here are the pics, you can see the Titan behind the Bronco in the first pic. Thanks again in advance for any advice.

Bronco.jpg

Bronco back.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo NOBLWON,

WELCOME!

For as Built;

Check VIN to this Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder; for 1980 Bronco & Ford Trucks BEST!

Source: @ http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=10

See Engine Code; 4th character;

Engine I.D. Label Depiction & Legend, 1980 shown. "...The label is found on the front of the valve cover on the 4.9L; on the front of the right valve cover on V8 engine..."

Source: by Chilton @ http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/8576/images/85761007.pdf

History, 78-96 Bronco; from Ford Truckin' Magazine; 1997 winter issue

Source: by Trent R @ http://www.angelfire.com/wv/fordbroncos/History.html

M-Block History (351M/400M) & M-block specifications: Look up engine advertised power ratings, and dimensions and torque specs for M-block components. M-block parts reference Look up Ford part numbers for common OEM engine components. M-block performance Learn about aftermarket parts and how to improve your engine’s performance and power. M-block photo archive Assorted pictures of M-block components.

Source: by Bubba (Dave R) at http://grantorinosport.org/BubbaF250/index.html

excerpts;

"...From 1977 to 1982, the M-block (351M/400) V8 engine was a mainstay of Ford light truck powerplants. During that period, the M-block 400 was the largest engine available in any Ford 4x4 truck. In the 1978 and 1979 model years, the 351M and 400 were the only engines offered in Ford’s new, full-size Bronco. The ultimate cruel irony in the M-block’s history was that it was so well adapted to first-generation emission control systems, it was not easily updated to work with more modern engine management systems, and it was dropped from production at the end of the 1982 model year;

Build Date Stamp

The original build date of the engine is stamped into the front cover surface, toward the right side of the engine. Often this stamp is behind the front cover gasket so it is not visible with the front cover plate on the engine. In this case, it was outside of the front cover gasket.

The build date was the date on which the engine was assembled at the factory. The build date code in this picture is: “78G190” This translates to July 19, 1978.

The following table lists Ford advertised power ratings for M-block engines from MY 1971 through MY 1982. Horsepower figures are not available for some years, and torque figures are not available for many years. Ford did not always advertise M-block torque figures, and I have not yet been able to find reliable horsepower figures for the last two years of M-block production (1981 and 1982;

351M (truck only)

138 HP @ 3400

263 Torque (ft/lbs) @ 2000 RPM

400 (truck only)

163 HP @ 3600

275 Torque (ft/lbs) @ 2000 .."

Much more!

====

As built again;

Build Sheet pic in an 88

Source: by Surveyor at Ford Bronco Zone Forums http://broncozone.com/topic/18400-factory-option-codes/

Note that Engine Code does not correlate to VIN's engine code in any way

Some Info is easily identified, but the reat is very diff to interpret and so far, I have not been able to obtain a Legend (over past 40+ years)

Build Sheet Location Synopsis; Locations vary because it depended upon who threw it in the Bronco on the production line vs. those who took time to place it same place for 18 years: "...under the driver's or passenger side carpet, in the fiberglass top hidden behind the rear trim piece, driver's side in a 79 by Ziggy; was under the rubber mat under the driver's seat in a 78 by Scoop; under my carpet on the right side in the back in a 92 by M. Cardholder; under the carpet directly behind the front passenger seat, Under the cardboard spacer sheet/heat shield in an 88 by Dustball; under the drivers side of your front seat between the seat springs and the cushion in an 86 F 150 by Hoxviii; underneath the carpet under the drivers seat and another in the back end underneath the carpet in an 88 by Xris; Ive found them in the back seat front seat Passenger floor Board and head liner. Gently feel your back seat for paper under the vinyl. Same with the back and then under the seats. Possibly under passenger carpeting rubber mat in a 78 by F1rocco; under my rear deck carpet and padding, taped to the bed in an 89 by Buckin' 89Bronco...";

Helms charges $17.00 for a "Basic" Sheet and $48.00 for a "Deluxe" sheet. Helms is Ford's Official Publisher for Ford EVTMs, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, etc.

This a Letter form of a Build Sheet; Ford use to provide the letter free until 2 yrs or so ago by just a call to them

Build Sheet Information (Ford 999 Report); Ford's build sheet reply letter w/original build date, optional equipt., axle ratio, paint color, etc.; Helms charges $17.00 for a "Basic" Sheet and $48.00 for a "Deluxe" sheet. Helms is Ford's Official Publisher for Ford EVTMs, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, etc. Miesk5 Note on 30 AUG 2011 called Ford @ 1-800-392-3673 & Jeff said all have been transferred to Helms

http://www.shopfordgear.com/find.asp?session=2D5CD61676D94D8596CB191D56DEB727&search%5Ftype=by%5Fdept&dept%5Fid=16&d=16&c=48652YHNOREJJK4&s=

excerpts;

In 1980 Ford upgraded the Bronco to the new Twin Traction Beam IFS front suspension and restyled the body. This new suspension offered a better ride and more terrain compliance on rough terrain. With an eye on the off-road use the Bronco was built for, Ford upgraded the transfer case to a New Process 208 with a 2.61:1 low range. This new transfer case was also better sealed against the elements. The standard motor for the Bronco was now the venerable 300 cid I-6 in all states except California where the 302 cid V-8 was standard. Optional engines were the 302 cid and 351 cid V-8s. All engines featured 2-bbl carburetion. 1980 also saw the introduction of 3.00:1 as well as the 3.50:1 gearing. Automatic locking hubs were now optional on the Bronco. The restyling increased front leg room by one inch while decreasing the Bronco's exterior dimensions. The 1980 Bronco was 2.7 inches shorter in the front end and 1.1 inches narrower than the previous year. Wind drag was reduced by 25% and a new grille featured rectangular headlamps.

see my site for M BLock info LINKs and other stuff!

Enjoy your Bronco!

brad6920

Reaction score
Greetings noblewon! Welcome to the best Bronco forum ever!

Your Bronco looks very nice and will be a fun vehicle year round. I live in Northern California also, Magalia to be exact, in the Sierra foothills above Chico.

Hope you enjoy your Bronco, and again welcome.

OP
OP
N

noblewon

Reaction score
Greetings noblewon! Welcome to the best Bronco forum ever!

Your Bronco looks very nice and will be a fun vehicle year round. I live in Northern California also, Magalia to be exact, in the Sierra foothills above Chico.

Hope you enjoy your Bronco, and again welcome.
Magalia? My home as well. I rolled my Titan on Dogtown just this Monday morning. Bald tires, first rain of the year and I lost it on the hairpin turn and went over the embankment. We rolled once and landed upside-down, sliding to a stop against some stumps and boulders. One of the boulders penetrated the windshield and stopped inches from my wife's face. We were very fortunate to walk away, in just the last 48 hours there have been multiple accidents with fatalities in our community.

Thanks for the kind words on the Bronco, I will enjoy it a lot. I'm taking it in to Dave Barrett to do some carb work tomorrow and hopefully it will pass smog. It was just a bit high at idle on hydrocarbons so the carb rebuild should do it. The Bronco sat in a peach orchard for 2 years and was bought by a local here in town, he was going to restore it but ran into financial issues. Runs decent, choke is not even hooked up and the carb is needing work but then it should run great. If it wouldn't make my wife divorce me I'd drop the 5.6 from the Titan into it...

OP
OP
N

noblewon

Reaction score
yo NOBLWON,

WELCOME!

For as Built;

Check VIN to this Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder; for 1980 Bronco & Ford Trucks BEST!

Source: @ http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=10

See Engine Code; 4th character;
So here is where the first part of the mystery starts. The date is 01/1980 on the door sticker and the VIN code is U15GXXXXXXX which would indicate 4WD Bronco, Michigan made with engine code G? F is the 302, W is the 351M but what is G? Bronco is at the shop right now getting a carb rebuild and then I can see if I can get the engine code, in the mean time I'm going to keep researching to see what I can find.

Thanks for all the info!

OP
OP
N

noblewon

Reaction score
More info on the Bronco, learning more about it as I work on it.

The VIN has engine code "G" which would indicate a 351W but according to Ford the G engine code didn't appear until 1981 or 82. The door sticker indicates 01/1980 for the build date and it has a C6 auto tranny. 2" lift with 33's and electrical is about 85% (no backup lights, temp indicator on dashboard, mostly minor stuff), the interior is pretty much bare metal. Original door panels and trim are all there, just brittle and cracked, carpet is minimal and headliner is gone. Engine is clean and strong, carb is just giving it fits because the choke is disconnected and the jets and float are pretty worn.

I appreciate all the info so far, it has been a big help.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Well, I will take that Best Info statement back; and off my site for the VIN Decode by LMC

Reverting to a google I see many different Legends, none that show Ford built 1980 Broncos with 351W; but Ford was known to carry over engine types, trannys etc in new model years due to surplus stock or new type was not ready to install...

Maybe some Broncos had the 351W in 1980 and almost all published literature iggied that?

for instanceAmsoil does show 80 Bronco Code G to be the 351W

1980 FORD TRUCKS BRONCO 5.8L 8-cyl Engine Code [G]

The 1980 Bronco Dealer Brochure

by Josh B (magnumpi, Big Blue Beast) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/6264/22004

just shows; 5.8L (351) V-8 plus the six and 5.0

OP
OP
N

noblewon

Reaction score
yo,

Well, I will take that Best Info statement back; and off my site for the VIN Decode by LMC

Reverting to a google I see many different Legends, none that show Ford built 1980 Broncos with 351W; but Ford was known to carry over engine types, trannys etc in new model years due to surplus stock or new type was not ready to install...

Maybe some Broncos had the 351W in 1980 and almost all published literature iggied that?

for instanceAmsoil does show 80 Bronco Code G to be the 351W

1980 FORD TRUCKS BRONCO 5.8L 8-cyl Engine Code [G]

The 1980 Bronco Dealer Brochure

by Josh B (magnumpi, Big Blue Beast) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/6264/22004

just shows; 5.8L (351) V-8 plus the six and 5.0
Very interesting... That would explain the KBB value discrepancy, the G code Broncos from 80-82 list for 5 X the value of other 80-82 Broncos. Pretty cool! The carb is almost done and get this, not only did it have standing water in it but sand also. Not just like sand particles, the tech said he had to literally spoon it out! I can't believe it even ran like that but what a work horse!

I wouldn't mind putting some work into this if everything else checks out OK, looks like it's been through a lot but I can rebuild it better, stronger, faster...

OP
OP
N

noblewon

Reaction score
And the mystery deepens yet further... The engine is most definitely a 351M, it is the large block 351 and the label on the radiator reflects that it is a 351M despite the "G" engine code in the VIN. Either Ford did use G engine codes for remaining 351M motors prior to replacing with the 351W or this is not the original motor.

What a difference with the rebuilt carb! It's running really nice now, time to focus on other aspects like the suspension. I was trying to figure out what someone had done and I think I have it. They put 33" tires on it but not a lift, please disregard my prior comment that it has a 2" lift, it has none. Instead of modifying the fender or the bumper they just put bigger springs on it, which gives it a pretty bad negative camber. The tires clear the fender and bumper but it makes it rough on the sway bars. I'm wanting to do this right, so if I put a 2" lift on it what would have to happen with the springs? Any advice here would be appreciated, cutting a coil or 2 off a spring is no problem and once it has the right clearance it won't need the larger springs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948