FROM AUTO TO MANUEL HUBS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SONNY

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how hard is it to go from Auto Locking to manuel hubs. Is it possible? I have a 1996 Full size

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Sonny,

How many screws are there in the hub's cover?

and;

it's a good DIY project; about 1 to 2 hours

one thAng - 95/96 factory 3 ***** auto hubs are revised from earlier years and you'll need a conversion kit to do it w/3 ***** units.

And, too many articles show diff. specs...must get to everyone to clear this up soon. I know Froggman will do a write-up soon w/everything needed + proper specs. & Lock nut socket tools/info; as Topher has done, see below...

------------------------------------

5 ***** Cover Swap by Topher: http://bronco.tophersworld.com/writeup_hubs.htm

btw, he was replacing bearings too so if you're not doing that, skip those & caliper and brake pads sections.

And no need to remove wheel/tires or jack it up.

and Chris wrote to me about the BEARING LOCK NUTS TORQUE; something other articles do not fully address well & offered this:

"Word for word from Haynes Manual

Ford Pickups and Bronco 1980 - 1996

Using a lockout spanner (ford # T59T-1197-B or equivalent ) and a torque wrench, tighten the inner bearing adjusting nut to 50 foot pounds while rotating the wheel back and forth and seating the bearing.

Back off the adjusting nut approximately 45 degrees.

Assembler the lock washer by turning the inner lockout to align the pin with the nearest hole in the lock washer. To lock it, install the outer lock nut and tighten it to 150 foot pounds.

Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other. Move the tire in and out on the spindle. End play should be less than .006

OP
OP
S

SONNY

Reaction score
There is 3 screws in the hub. Thanks for the info!!

Sonny,

How many screws are there in the hub's cover?

and;

it's a good DIY project; about 1 to 2 hours

one thAng - 95/96 factory 3 ***** auto hubs are revised from earlier years and you'll need a conversion kit to do it w/3 ***** units.

And, too many articles show diff. specs...must get to everyone to clear this up soon. I know Froggman will do a write-up soon w/everything needed + proper specs. & Lock nut socket tools/info; as Topher has done, see below...

------------------------------------

5 ***** Cover Swap by Topher: http://bronco.tophersworld.com/writeup_hubs.htm

btw, he was replacing bearings too so if you're not doing that, skip those & caliper and brake pads sections.

And no need to remove wheel/tires or jack it up.

and Chris wrote to me about the BEARING LOCK NUTS TORQUE; something other articles do not fully address well & offered this:

"Word for word from Haynes Manual

Ford Pickups and Bronco 1980 - 1996

Using a lockout spanner (ford # T59T-1197-B or equivalent ) and a torque wrench, tighten the inner bearing adjusting nut to 50 foot pounds while rotating the wheel back and forth and seating the bearing.

Back off the adjusting nut approximately 45 degrees.

Assembler the lock washer by turning the inner lockout to align the pin with the nearest hole in the lock washer. To lock it, install the outer lock nut and tighten it to 150 foot pounds.

Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other. Move the tire in and out on the spindle. End play should be less than .006

bassplayer07

Reaction score
I had the auto locking hubs in my 95 bronco. Got the auto to manual locking kit by warn and they work great. A good place to get em cheap is www.gowarn.com.

89Bronco58

Reaction score
yes a standard conversion kit with hubs is around 90-120 dollars depending on where you go

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno