4 wheels drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broncomat

Reaction score
hi guys

i have a 92 bronco

and the 4wd is not working anymore

i mean when i push the 4x4 button the light doesn't go on

and it doesn't switch to 4 wheel drive

so it actually does nothing

i was hoping before i bring it to a garage

someone can give me an idea what it could be

if there is a chance to fix it by myself

what could be wrong

how expensive it eventualy can be....

so at least in case i go to the garage i don't look like an idiot so they can charge me tons of money...

thanks so much for your help

alexander

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
There are a couple links in the Tech articles forum on troubleshooting your electric 4WD, could be a fuse or relay or the shift motor is bad. JSM84

hms79

Reaction score
Try replacing the relay, they are inexpensive and easy to change. If that doesn't work, then the shift motor may be bad. There are a couple of fuses, one in the fuse panel and one in the power distribution box, plus a relay.

OP
OP
B

broncomat

Reaction score
hi guys

so i just spent some time looking for fuses, shift motor....

fuses seem to be ok

talking about relay and shift motor...

i don't know where to find the relay so i took some pictures

and maybe someone can help me to figure it out :-"

i guess i found the shift motor but how do i figure out if it's still working???

so here are my pictures

maybe it helps....

:) thanks so much

and have a wonderful weekend

Photo_0021.jpg

Photo_0019.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
[

yo!

Here is the motor

by a sponsor.....broncograveyard.com

& on Xfer case by Steve

sorry, in reply mode, I can't see your pics and my mnd is gone so I can't recall what they were of....

check;

In fuse box in cab, driver's left knee area..ck Fuse 17

see cover for diagram if different than 17 in my 96 (same for what Ryan cites below)

&

Transfer Case, Borg Warner 1356 Electric Shift Motor Troubleshooting & Repair Source: by Dustin S

by Ryan;

How The Circuit Works

The Electronic Shift Control Module is powered at all times through Circuit Breaker 12 of the Fuse Panel to retain its memory capability. Fuse 18 provides power for the switches and the Electric Shift Motor when the Ignition Switch is in RUN. Fuse 10 provides power for nighttime illumination of the Electronic Shift Control Switch.

When the Electronic Shift Control Switch is placed in the 4x4 or LO position, the Electronic Shift Control Module analyzes information from the Shift Position Sensors to determine their current positions. The Module also analyzes information inputs from the Transfer Case Speed Sensor and the MLP Sensor or Park/Neutral Position Switch. The Electronic Shift Control Module then activates the Transfer Case Motor to produce the desired shift, and the 4x4 Indicator lights up.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/1356-1.gif

http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/1356-2.gif

http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/1356-3.gif

Relay..? maybe they're sayin' it's in da Xfer Case Control Module box inside passenger kick panel.. as in what Dustin cites in aforementioned LINK; "...To check if the transfer case motor is actually functioning (because it may be hard to hear it in a noisy shop) attach a voltmeter to A4 and A5. Have someone activate a shift and look for a brief (one second) increase in voltage and listen for the relay to click on, then off..."

more, if you can stand by scribblin'

Borg Warner 1356 Operation & Troubleshooting by Vincent C

especially!;

"Control Module Self-Test

Remove the five-wire connector and the eight-wire connector from the bottom of the electronic control module.

Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.

Activate the self-test switch located on the module and note the result:

A flashing indicator lamp (approximately one flash per second) indicates that the control module is functioning properly.

A steady indicator lamp indicates that the control module is inoperative and must be replaced.

The Control Module is located behind the instrument panel on the right hand side, behind the wiring harnesses."

lastly, as Ryan describes, "...The Module also analyzes information inputs from the Transfer Case Speed Sensor and the MLP Sensor or Park/Neutral Position Switch..You have the MLPS sensor which is prone to water intrusion; have you run thru a lake or big puddle recently?

VSS would cause other rproblems...such as an ABS light, Cruise control probs and PSOM problems

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke