c-4 to manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davytenn

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to thank the ones who responded to my previous questions.

Okay, here we go again. 1. Is it feasible to swap a C4 for a 4 speed manual? I have a 4 speed with granny that came out of a 85 ford pick-up. Don't know if it will work or not. Plan to get it rebuilt if I can use it.

If so, what kind of undertaking should I expect?

2. I had a 66 Bronc way back when , and it had an awesome turning radius. (31-10.50's) The 73 I have came with a James Duff lift kit(don't know how much) and has BFG AT (which I despise)33-12.50's and doesn't seem to have as good a turning radius. I didn't notice the tires rubbing. I wanted to go with Nitto Mud grapplers 33-13.50, (they don't have a 33-11.50 or a 33-12.50) Is this going to be too much?

3. I need a dome light. Obviously, the 73 didn't come with one. Any suggestions?

Again, thank you for any and all responses in advance.

famvburg

Reaction score
Regarding the steering, could the steering have been adjusted to limit the turning radius & that's why the tires aren't rubbing? I've never looked at my '69 since I'm running stock tires & wheels & plan to keep it that way. As for a dome light, is yours full cab or half cab? What I did with mine for now, I bought 3 tag lights at my local Advance Auto Parts & monted them at the bottom of the dash, centered above the floorpans & installed 1 on the windshield frame by the mirror & operate them with a dash mounted toggle switch. Mine's currently a full cab but I plan to switch it to a half cab & I think I'll be able to mount a speaker & another light between the seats on the cargo barrier, when it goes in. What I was after was having some sort of dome lighting even with the top removed & not having to unplug wires by having roof mounted lights. In my old Dakota with a camper shell, I bought a couple of oval clearance lights at WalMart & with a hole saw, cut out the bottom of the lenses (they come in amber & red only, AFAIK) & then painted them silver & they work like a charm.

First off, I'd like to thank the ones who responded to my previous questions.Okay, here we go again. 1. Is it feasible to swap a C4 for a 4 speed manual? I have a 4 speed with granny that came out of a 85 ford pick-up. Don't know if it will work or not. Plan to get it rebuilt if I can use it.

2. I had a 66 Bronc way back when , and it had an awesome turning radius. (31-10.50's) The 73 I have came with a James Duff lift kit(don't know how much) and has BFG AT (which I despise)33-12.50's and doesn't seem to have as good a turning radius. I didn't notice the tires rubbing. I wanted to go with Nitto Mud grapplers 33-13.50, (they don't have a 33-11.50 or a 33-12.50) Is this going to be too much?

3. I need a dome light. Obviously, the 73 didn't come with one. Any suggestions?

S_bolt19

Reaction score
#1 - Yes, you can swap it out. I don't remember the exact things that need to be done, but it can be done. You will have also fab or get a manual cross member too, if I remember correct. What trans are you thinking of putting in?

#2 - Check the *****/bolts on the backside of the knuckles. They are adjustment screws to keep you from over turning and someone might have screwed them out so that they don't rub. This will also sacrafice your turn radius. The bigger (wider - 13.5) tires will affect that too. A stock rig will always turn sharper than one with oversized tires.

#3 - Can't help ya on that one, but the under dash that was suggested is a good idea.

OP
OP
D

davytenn

Reaction score
Thanks guys, good ideas. Full top. Like the idea about under dash and wiper cover. Didn't know about adjusting screws. Thanks to both of you.

Gunnyrs

Reaction score
Yes this swap can be done and it is really simple as well. The 4 speed you are planning on using from a 85 ford pick-up, should be a NP435. This is an excellent choice for the Early Bronco, Mine has one thats for sure. You will need to aquire a Clutch pedal and bracket. These show up all of the time on E-Bay best one to get is the bracket that has both the brake and CLUTCH pedals. This is a modular bracket and bolts right in, the holes are even there on your Bronco for the bracket to bolt to, and your Master Cylinder bolts right up. You also will need a Bell housing, Flywheel, pilot bushing, clutch plate and pressure plate all for your Small Block Ford. You will need to fabricate a crossmember for the Tranny. You also will have to find a DANA 20 transfer case adapter for the Tranny, as your Automatic adapter will not work with a standared. You May have to change the length of your drive shaft as well. Other than getting all of the stuff the swap itself is a days work no more and worth the trouble the NP435 has a first gear ratio of 5.61 and this is a big step in the right direction. Good Luck!!

Gunny

Here's a picture of my EB that has the 4 Speed.

View attachment 22875

DSCF0027.jpg

OP
OP
D

davytenn

Reaction score
Thanks for the support. Will any set of pedals from 66-77 Broncos work?

S_bolt19

Reaction score
Yeah, they should. The bracket bolts to the back of the firewall & the bottom of the...hmm, what to call it, engine bay dash...for lack of a better term.

Catchin1

Reaction score
Intresting thread. I would be intrested replacing my 3 spd manual with a 4spd, would this be a faily simple swap since I'm already manual? Also anyone know what parts I may have to swap etc.? For example can I use my present transfer case?

Gunnyrs

Reaction score
Catchin, Your's would be the easiest of all tranny swaps if you do your home work first. The only problem you "May" run into is bolt pattern on the NP435. There are two different bolt patterns for this tranny an early and a late. One or the other (I don't remeber which) uses a pinched pattern and is smaller at the top than the bottom. But even with this "pinched pattern" all you need is an adapter. Your stock crossmember will work--- Your stock length drive shafts will work --- even your stock clutch will work. As far as your transfer case either J-Shift or T-Shift both will work just fine as will the standared transmission adapter from the tranny to the transfer case. **** man everything works. You will need to change your transmission tunnel as the NP435 is a top loader and will come out of the top of the tunnel. there can be some interference with the shift handle on T-Shifters you will have to address this little problem or the easy way is go to a twin stick shifter for the transfer case, they work much better anyways and are available from Tom's Broncos or most of the Bronco Vendors out there. Easy swap for the standared tranny guys.

Gunny

Catchin1

Reaction score
Thanks Gunny, I really like the looks of your yellow Bronc.

S_Bolt very good post in regards to the tranny swap. A couple of qeustions.

I wasn't sure the reference to a 6cly adapter. I have a 302, do you mean I need to aquire an adapter from a 6cyl?

Also I'm weighing my options here, but is there good floor shifter available for the 3 spd?

Thanks in advance.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
Yes, you have to get an adapter from a 6 cyl. Bronco. BC Broncos ( http://www.bcbroncos.com ) should sell them. I might call Chuck and ask if he has them in stock. They are the most reasonably priced I have found. Your current V8 adapter is not the correct length for it and you won't be able to bolt things up. But it is a very easy swap. The only problem with the NP swap is that it is a truck transmission so it will drive and shift like a truck. If you have 4.11 gears, your top speed will be in the neighborhood of about 70, and that is with the RPMs screaming. For offroad capabilities, I would venture to say that gearing wise, there isn't another trans that can match it. You would have to change your axle gears to something like 4.56 to match the granny gear with the original 3 speed. I have no regrets, but if you do a lot of highway traveling, I might look to the NV3550 swap.

Check the Bronco supply houses for a floor shift kit. Is your column shift worn out? Reason I ask is because you have to put a big ugly tunnel cover on the floor when you do the floor shift.

pinson27

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to thank the ones who responded to my previous questions.Okay, here we go again. 1. Is it feasible to swap a C4 for a 4 speed manual? I have a 4 speed with granny that came out of a 85 ford pick-up. Don't know if it will work or not. Plan to get it rebuilt if I can use it.

Its a fairly easy swap with one exception...the flywheel.If you are swapping it into an '83 or newer,the flywheels(engine) are externally ballanced and using the wrong flywheel vibrate the crap outta your ride causing your starter to fall out and evenyually ruining your engines bottom end.Check out Advance Adapters and they will send you a swap book usually for free with all the specs your gonna need.

OP
OP
D

davytenn

Reaction score
Okay guys, just so I'm clear. Will a '85 np435 work easily?

S_bolt19

Reaction score
As long as it has the square bolt pattern on the back. If that bolt pattern is an angled pattern then you have to get the adapter plate and this will extend the length of the whole thing by about an inch.

Bolt pattern looks like this | | is a good thing

Bolt pattern looks like this / \ will cost more money

OP
OP
D

davytenn

Reaction score
Thanks, any tricks to exactly how to go about cutting out the hole? Is there more than one adapter, or is the one posted at BC the one I need?

S_bolt19

Reaction score
The adapter from BC is the plate for either bolt pattern NP I think. Call them to make sure, but you still need to come up with the 6-cyl adapter as well. The tunnel cover hole, my boot covers an area about 7" up from the bend, close to the firewall, 2.5" back towards the seats from that bend & 8" wide from the edge that goes down to the drivers floor pan. I cut mine about an inch inside each one of these measurements, but I also did it with the body off. Some folks cut the entire top lid of the tunnel off and weld a small lip onto the underside of the top & pop rivet it in place so they have good access to both trans & transfer case.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke