steering box adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badgurl55

Reaction score
I have a 85 Full Size Bronco that has had bushing and all kinds of #$%^ put in the front end but the steering is extremely sloppy. Can I make an adjustment to the steering box w/o screwing it up (or chewing it up) myself ?

No .. they don't float like my boat

bronco_mud_puddle_1.JPG

bronco_mud_puddle_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardape

Reaction score
NO!!!!!!!!! Dont touch that ***** its evil. Thats not an adjustment ****** its set up for preload only.

Yardape

Reaction score
Our trucks are blessed with that problem and theres nothing really we can do, if all your parts are good, tie rod ends, drag link, ball joints, bearings, etc... then unfortunately you need a new steering box.

Big Country

Reaction score
Once again, Yardape is right. Whatever you do, dont touch that *****.
doesn't he make you want to hurl...j/k yardape by the way that american beer i was drinking was really good. poured some out for you at the bar. the bar back was pretty ****** but everyone else enjoyed it.

Roadkill

Reaction score
I'll be sure to pour out some near-beer for you too. Dont think it will upset anyone though! LOL

Beak

Reaction score
You got to love that ***** if you know what to do with it!!!!! Yes it's A preload adjustment and drasticly will inprove handling if properly adjusted. But also be aware of steering components above the gear. ei. "rag" joints,colunm bearings & other joint connections.

Yardape

Reaction score
Why would you say something like that on here? Someone is going to adjust it and seriously hurt themselves, I bow to your vast knowledge but people do not touch this ****** it will not improve handling, it could get you killed

mbtech2003

Reaction score
hmmm ok i adjusted mine and it made my steering tighter for a whille it's now loose again so i will have to get a new ps box. just use some common sense when adjusting it. too tight and the steering will bind when turing past the straight away position. just do 1/8 to 1/4 turns at a time on the ***** and drive the truck in a empty parkin lot to see results. make sure its warmed up so the gears have allready expanded from the heat. readjusting is just a "temp fix" it bought me 15-20k miles more of driving. :unsure:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke