Engine Running rough..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
My Bronco Is having Problems...

Its been sitting for a year before I Got it. It runs great... KINDA!

for some reason the Idle starts to surge when the engine light comes on , I have to rev it up high and it clears for a little. Its fine in park or Neutral, When I put it in Reverse or Drive it starts to die and I have to give it gas to keep it running. Sometimes it just dies?

Im thinking It needs a new Fuel filter, Its been sitting for a while so It may be water in the tank that got the filter all cruddy.

Also the engine Doesnt have great throttle response at all! I floor it from a stop and it just takes off slow and then starts to kick in. I know thats not how the motor is supposed to run!

The engine had a tune up Before it was parked a year ago....

Someone else had this problem also.. They also had to start their truck by Jumping the Solinoid with a ***** driver. THats what Ive been doing also, I dont know if that has any thing to do with the way it runs like that but I would like to know what that problem is also... Someone said it may be the Neutral safety switch? Im gonna get one and put it on just to try.

Any help would be helpful! I need this truck for a daily driver... If I dont have this truck I dont have anything!

Thanks Much.

Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
Ive been doing some reading...

Sounds like it could be the TPS ( Throttle Position Sensor) or The Egr.

What does anybody else think?

gnarly_bronco_kid

Lead foot
Reaction score
It sounds to me like it's the ignition system. Check your cap, rotor, plugs, wires. Does the motor shake a bunch when it's just at idle. If so the spark plug wires could be in the wrong firing order or maybe one of your wires is worn through and your spart is arking over to something besides the spark plug. I'm sure you've already been through your ignitions system though.

DirtDevil

Reaction score
might also try Seafoam. I have yet to use it but from what I hear it is amazing stuff. It wouldn't help a fuel filter but it will get rid of carbon build up and help the engine with response and such.

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
Ive actualy only had the truck for a little over 1 week.

I talked to my friend who I had the truck Before me.

He said that the Truck started acting like that after It had a Tune up? Before that he said he waisted a couple of Hondas and Acuras? Now Its slower than those?

Since It happened after the tune up what could it be?

A bad rotor or plug wires????

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
It sounds to me like it's the ignition system. Check your cap, rotor, plugs, wires. Does the motor shake a bunch when it's just at idle. If so the spark plug wires could be in the wrong firing order or maybe one of your wires is worn through and your spart is arking over to something besides the spark plug. I'm sure you've already been through your ignitions system though.
The engine starts up right away. and It doesnt Shake or anything? It could be just a bad cap and rotor? or maybie the plugs?

I need help!

After all.. this is supposed to be a powerful bronco! Not a weak Pony!

Yardape

Reaction score
It cant hurt to do a tune up. Change the Cap, Rotor, Plugs and wires.

Yardape

Reaction score
That should make you faster than a couple of them ricers. If not add a few stickers, Maybe a wing.

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
That should make you faster than a couple of them ricers. If not add a few stickers, Maybe a wing.
By the way... The tuck almost stalls or sometimes does only when its in R or D not Park or Nueutral?

I should do a tune up... Your right, it couldnt hert!

Yardape

Reaction score
The engine works harder in gear than in park or neutral, that drops the rpm. So that is normal if your truck needs a tune up

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
Ok then if it needs another tune up.. then The Shop that did the tune up didnt do a great job at all!

Whats a better place to get the parts? Autozone or Schucks?

I bet the cap has a crack or something, or the parts are just poor Quality.

What do you think?

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
I was talkin to my Grandpah..

He said that It could be the spark plug wires? Is their anyway I can check and see if thats it?

Other than buy new ones?

Yardape

Reaction score
Unhook one at a time, and reconnect after your test. You will notice a change in engine behaviour, keep doing this until you find one that does nothing. This is the problem cylinder, swap this for another wire off another cylinder and see if the problem goes with the wire. If it stays at the same cylinder you have another problem. If no wires change the idle quality, then you have another problem.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
Ok heres the some info...

The light only comes on sometimes... Only when Im at about 3-4k?

So... I took it to a friend who is a Mechanic, and he said...

The problem is the Timing... He didnt hook it up to anything, He said what couldve have happened is that the Timing was set and when someone re-tightened the nut on the distributor it moved. So that explains why the truck dies in Drive or Reverse.

Its because the timing is off.

He said to Re time it or loosen the nut until the engine gains speed ( The highest idle it can have by turning the Distributor)

Then back it off 3 degrease.

Then tighten the nut and your good!

Does that sound right?

My Grandpah just said the same thing..

He has a friend who had a ford pickup and after he got the tune up he brought it to go Launch his boat and he couldnt get it out.

He was mad about it and my Grandpah loosend the nut Did what I just said to do, and It was Once again a POWERFUL Truck!

Should I try it?

Does that sound like it may be it?

Yardape

Reaction score
Give it a try, thats how I have always set the timing. Just when your happy with where its set, shut the truck off, make sure it doesnt run on. The restart, make sure it turns over normally and your good to go.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno