adding a snow plow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timster24

Reaction score
I am adding a snow plow on the front of my 88 bronco. I was wondering if anyone knows if a 2in front lift is enough? Is the weight of the plow gear going to bottom out the front constantly (700-800lbs). Currently I am running a stock suspension, with a double shock. Thanks

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Western Uni-Mount on my 90 Bronco. I use the Airlift 1000 airbag kit. Stay away from the airbags they blow way too easily. It really dosen't need a 2 inch lift but it would help with putting the blade up and hitting a bump. I find that when I cross an intersection the blade scrapes on the ground. The truck will not bottom out, it will squat like crazy.

Heres a pic of mine with the plow:

81406_097.jpg

81406_098.jpg

OP
OP
T

timster24

Reaction score
I kinda wanna cut down on the squatting a bit, right now the front only has about 1.5-2in clearance from the bumpers. I really dont wanna be riding on those all night. How low the plow sits will be compisated by the plow rigging that I am welding up. Basically I am bumping up my "A" frame higher than Meyer had it. The attachment point will be raised up and tucked up next to the bumper, is what the design is looking like so far.

But I think I am going to throw a lift under the truck anyways, just to make sure everything is good.

I am running a meyer 7.5 sometimes the 8ft blade with a e60 quick lift pump.

Hey we do have a few old westerns that we are thinking of selling.

gnarly_bronco_kid

Lead foot
Reaction score
If you wanted to lift up your front end the cheap way for that plow you could just get some of those coil spacers. they're cheap and easy to install. And hey while we are in the subject of bronco's and plows. I found a bronco for sell with a 351 with a lot of rust and it has a decent plow on it all for 500 bones. you guys thing it's worth it? I'll get some pics on here tomorrow.

Zak

kevinmach1

Reaction score
I just added a western plow to my 1990 bronco, and I got a set of stock front coils for a 1990 f-150 ext cab 4x4. The springs are a dual rate spring, have a few more windings and are a bit longer than the broncos springs. It raised my front end up a good 2 inches and the ride is way better than with the stock bronco springs. I got mine through a local auto parts store, AC delco brand believe it or not, for 68 bucks.

OP
OP
T

timster24

Reaction score
Kevinmach1, was there much saggin with those springs. I know there is going to be sag I just dont want lots of sag like some of the other trucks i see running around this area.

gnarly_bronco_kid

Lead foot
Reaction score
Alright so Here's the bronco I was talking about. I might buy it and part it out along with the plow because I know plows aren't always cheap. The truck runs "not sure how well" and the plow is functional. I can always repair the trucks running condition but if not I can part it out.

The entire truck and plow for $500............you guys think it's worth it?

kevinmach1

Reaction score
Kevinmach1, was there much saggin with those springs. I know there is going to be sag I just dont want lots of sag like some of the other trucks i see running around this area.
The stock springs were a little bit "lower" than the rear, with a bit of a rake. With the new springs, it now sits level and is much more "supportive" of the weight of the plow. I also have the dual shock set-up, like you have. Like I mentioned before, It rides much better than the old springs. I wasn't expecting that. B)

OP
OP
T

timster24

Reaction score
cool, think I might try that out, thanks.

qnarly bronco kid--dont look to bad, a truck like that might be worth either parts or a plow truck. The only problem with a plow is lots of times they are all rusty and beat to death. but for 500 you could make a few bucks off the truck. But personally I dislike the cable driven western plows. But they work. So I would almost pick it up and runn it. **** it could have a nice strong 351 if nothing else.

kevinmach1

Reaction score
Timster24,

I just noticed you are from CR. I got my springs, the Ac delcos from Tom at IWI in CR. Give him a call and tell him you want the same springs that Kevin at Raincap got from him.

Good luck.....

OP
OP
T

timster24

Reaction score
ahhh thats where you got them, I picked a used pair yesterday at Olson's. And threw them on a couple of hours ago. I do like how they sit. I just have not welded up my plow gear yet, so will see how they do when dangle that off the front end. It did level out my truck and I like what I see so far, so I think it might be nailed. Thank You!!

now I got to figure out hydraulics LOL

Plow/Truck

Reaction score
I have a 73 Ford F 250 (3/4 ton) 4x4 long bed truck, and with the plow mounted on its quite long.

To make matters worse this truck doesn

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
I like plowing with a bronco, you can get in and get out fast. The size makes it easy to manuver in tight quarters.

ilystbronco

Reaction score
u dont have to lift it all u need is air helper springs up front, they are only like 80 bucks and u can find them at a snowplow website.

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
u dont have to lift it all u need is air helper springs up front, they are only like 80 bucks and u can find them at a snowplow website.
Air springs **** mad balls! They can dry rot and leak, they get damaged easily and I wouldn't ever run them in another truck again.

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
Any before and after pics of the bronco with the 1990 f-150 ext cab 4x4 springs? I would like to do that with mine, my bumper weighs it down a bit and you can't get too high

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo