OEM Stereo

4 replies to this topic

#1 harleydeen98258

harleydeen98258

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing for our native steelhead. Big game and bird hunting. Collecting interesting antiques...

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:30 AM

I have an '88 Bronco XLT and since my rig was broken into and the radio I had was jacked I have since decided that I'm going to locate a factory AM/FM CD stereo for my bronco and leave it at that. What I'm finding out though is I can't figure out what oem radios I can put into this thing. Does anyone know what stereos were available in 1988 or what vehicle years I can put into my bronco? I'm also going to have to buy the factory wiring harness for the radio, but I don't know what constitutes a standard sound vs. premium sound, any suggestions?

Thanks,
S. Behn

1988 Bronco XLT- RIP
1979 Bronco XLT Ranger

Keep honking...I'm reloading!!

#2 mbtech2003

mbtech2003

Bronco Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:bronco<br />mercedes benz tech.<br />pc gaming<br />wife:

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:25 PM

i don't think your gonna find an oem cd stereo. not back in 88 that is. save your self a lot of problems and get a install kit and a pinoeer deck it will sound better anyway then any factory deck for a 88
DONT HAVE TRUCK ANYMORE, HAD TO SELL. :( HAVE A MUSTANG NOW 2004. WILL GET A BRONCO AGAIN!!

1995 XLT 5.8 E4OD 126,000 miles and going
Stock suspension, Rockford driveshaft rear(snaped a u-joint after installing the new cam hehe)
32" BFG ALL TERRAIN TA's, ford racing 9mm wires
Accel super coil and cap & rotor
pioneer premier deck, polk audio components
2- 12" kicker L7, sony xplod 1200 watt amp D-class---got wet damnit... looking for new amp
1 farad cap W/ 4 guage wire, EBC sport groved rotors
K&N air filter incert, split muffler magnaflow exhaust
isky racing cam- intake.480/exhaust .500 valve lift
http://iskycams.com/...mber=371257/265
isky racing valve springs, ford racing roller lifters
BOSS 302 compcams pushrods, flow-tech shorty smog headers

#3 lawman212

lawman212

Bronco Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

<)cowboy.gif I have a 1989 Bronco and my factory radio burned out last week. I pulled it out and yes it smelled burnt. It only had two plugs on the back one black and one gray plus the Ant. hook up. I was going to get a kit to plug into my Bronco's wiring and pick up a cheap CD AM/FM radio at Walmart. But I couldn't find a plug kit and didn't want to spend the time chasing down the specker/power wires. So I went to the Junk Yard and pulled the same radio out of a 1996 Ford Van.

It took me three tries pulling radios to find one that worked looking at trucks and vans around the same year. After that I started looking at newer years and came across the 1996 Van it works great but it sucks not having a CD player but I do have a portable CD Player that I plug into the cassett player old school. I would rather have a newer Radio CD Player but I can't find a store that sells the kit to hook up a 1989 Ford wiring harness lots of imports. GMC, Chevy the same year but not my Ford whats up with that crap!!!

The point in all this is if you still have those two plugs in your dash it's not hard if you can find the right wirning kit or go back to the factory radio if you still have the plugs.

If someone knows a part store or other store that sells the wiring kit please let me know so I don't have to lug around my sons portable CD Player he's looking for it.

#4 bluesman17

bluesman17

Spam Terminator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Broncos, Dodgeball, Paintballing, Firearms and of course videa games

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:21 PM

Best buy, circuit city, walmart, advance auto parts, pepboys, autozone, you can find Ford wiring kit anywhere really.
92 XLT with 5.0 bored .10 over flat top pistons, Rebuilt E40D, Warn premium manual hubs, 32x11.50 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers, Flowtech headers, no cats, pulled "check engine light" 130 amp alternator yeap that sums her up pretty well.

If it aint broke fix it till it is!

#5 miesk5

miesk5

Supreme Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5190 posts
  • Favorite Bronco Year?:1996

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:52 AM

http://www.installdr.../PDF/356029.pdf

gives Prem Sound Sys and stock Overview

in my archived BRONCO TECHNICAL