Photo

Where's The Computer Mounted? 1994 Bronco?

3 replies to this topic

#1 trigger4x4

trigger4x4

trigger4x4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:49 AM

I have a 1994 Ford Bronco 4X4 XLT. Where is the computer mounted at? I had to find/buy a used one and need to replace the one in it now. I jumped a F250 Diesel a while back and I have come to the conclusion that the fellow that had the truck did not reverse the polarity while jumping him. My Bronco has never ran the same since. Wierd startups, to not starting at all, to funny things intermittently going on when I do eventually get it running. A friend suggested changing the computer. A few other people have suggested that I might have to replace a lot of electrical parts. Starter, battery, coil, solenoid, coil, etc.
1994 Ford Bronco XLT with 5.0L

4" Skyjacker Lift
3" Body Lift

35x12.50x15 Tires for winter
32x11.50x15 Tires for summer

#2 miesk5

miesk5

Supreme Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5009 posts
  • Favorite Bronco Year?:1996

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:29 AM

I have a 1994 Ford Bronco 4X4 XLT. Where is the computer mounted at? I had to find/buy a used one and need to replace the one in it now. I jumped a F250 Diesel a while back and I have come to the conclusion that the fellow that had the truck did not reverse the polarity while jumping him. My Bronco has never ran the same since. Wierd startups, to not starting at all, to funny things intermittently going on when I do eventually get it running. A friend suggested changing the computer. A few other people have suggested that I might have to replace a lot of electrical parts. Starter, battery, coil, solenoid, coil, etc.

it is inside the drivers side kick panel

But before you do that swap:
btw, do you have a CEL lit up? If so; get a free Code scan @ AutoZone or diy (Thanks to RYAN!) http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13
and come back here w/codes.

if No CEl/Codes, check the battery to engine and engine to frame ground cables (or steel flat bar that has replaced engine to frame ground on most later years) & connectors for corrosion/damage from the jump. Look closely at each cable's wire strands for corrosion or fraying . Also look at small ground wire @ batty; it is for the PCM

in my archived BRONCO TECHNICAL

site; http://web.archive.o...s.com/index.php?;
select a LINK, Right Click and and Hit Properties;

copy the second HTTP address

paste in a new browser to see the original page

96 Bronco, E4OD, Man Xfer Case & Hubs
Thanks to All Who Serve

#3 trigger4x4

trigger4x4

trigger4x4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:10 PM

When you mean CEL lit up do you mean when a diagnostic meter is hooked up? Or do you mean something lit up on the dash? When sometimes firing it up you can hear a loud screech just before the starter kicks over. And then sometimes the response when turning the key is absolutely nothing. Just dead. Yet lights and radio and such can come on by switching to battery. Sometimes the CD player will kick on when starting and I have it off. Sometimes it'll die when running when I turn the wheel too far. Sometimes my dash flickers or does wierd flashing with all the error lights across the bottom of dash. And then sometimes after the screech and then fires up, the truck will run absolutely fine until the next time I try to fire it up. Really puzzling.
I have a starter for it, an alternator for it, a coil for it, new solenoid and new battery, and a voltage regulator. And now the computer. I was going to try the new PCM first. Never thought about the wiring or grounds.
1994 Ford Bronco XLT with 5.0L

4" Skyjacker Lift
3" Body Lift

35x12.50x15 Tires for winter
32x11.50x15 Tires for summer

#4 bluesman17

bluesman17

Spam Terminator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Broncos, Dodgeball, Paintballing, Firearms and of course videa games

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

CEL=Check engine light
92 XLT with 5.0 bored .10 over flat top pistons, Rebuilt E40D, Warn premium manual hubs, 32x11.50 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers, Flowtech headers, no cats, pulled "check engine light" 130 amp alternator yeap that sums her up pretty well.

If it aint broke fix it till it is!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users