Oil Level Sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

briarrabbitt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got another question I'm hoping someone can answer. I just changed the oil in my 88 Bronco II last weekend and everything was running good over the weekend until I took it to work that Monday. After parking it and going inside I happened to look out the window and I could see on helluva puddle of oil underneath the darn thing. After crawling around underneath it for an hour I finally located where it is dripping from but I don't know what it is. I think it is an oil level sensor. It's located on the drivers side of the engine right above the oil pan towards the front of the block. It's just a little plug with a wire attached to the top of it but boy does it leak oil! Searching google and these forums I can't find anything about an oil level sensor in an 88 Bronco 2.9L. I can find a lot of oilpans with the oil level sensor hole in them but not just an oil level sensor. Does this thing have an oil level sensor or am I all wet?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
briarrabbitt

briarrabbitt

Reaction score
Thanks Bully Bob. Went to Checker and had them find it. They call it an oil pressure switch. It looks just like what's on it right now, I just have to figure out how to get the darn thing off. I've been told when I do finally get it off and put the new one on I should teflon it. Any other suggestions?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Do not use teflon!!! The sender requires a good connection to the engine block for ground. Teflon will prevent it from making a reliable connection. The threads are designed to lock so they will not leak. Just use a wrench on the hexigonal surface to remove it and when you put the new one in tighten it to snug. start your engine and check for leaks. If it is leaking a little tighten it just a little at a time until it stops. Don't over tighten it.

Just FYI your water temp switch is the same and should not be tefloned.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
briarrabbitt

briarrabbitt

Reaction score
Ok guys, first, Thanks for the help. Second, what a pain in the butt it is to get that old oil pressure switch out! The dang thing has got an engine mount on one side and a part of the engine block on the other side. Impossible to get a socket or any kind of wrench on it! I wound up worrying it out with a vise grips and channel locks. Got the new one back in the same way. just thought I'd share in case anyone else had this happen to them. Once again, thanks for the help fellas!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke