1989 fuel pump shut off switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoKID34

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Ford Bronco 5.8 351EFI and I was wondering if there is a fuel shutoff switch. If soi I need to know were it is located...I got my Eddie Bauer edition Bronco doing yard work for my neighbor. It has been sitting for a while but I believe that if there is a fuel pump shutoff swich it could be a problem....MIKE :glare:

Seabronc

Reaction score
All EFI engines have an inertia switch. It is there to prevent the fuel pump from continuing to pump fuel after an accident. They have been known to just go bad or pop as a result of a good jolt. It is a small black box with a button sticking out of it and is located under the dash, usually on the passenger side near the left foot. I believe some trucks have had it on the driver side.

Goood luck,

:)>-

Seabronc

Reaction score
P.S. I assume that you know that you have two fuel pumps. One in the tank and one on the frame about 1/2 way between the engine and tank.

OP
OP
B

BroncoKID34

Reaction score
I have searched and searched and there is not another fuel pump on the frame.....Isnthe inertia switch going to be in reach or am I going to take any of the dash panels off. I have looked and and have not yet been able to find it...Well got to go to school so I'll check for replies when I get there.....MIKE :)>-

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
I have searched and searched and there is not another fuel pump on the frame.....Isnthe inertia switch going to be in reach or am I going to take any of the dash panels off. I have looked and and have not yet been able to find it...Well got to go to school so I'll check for replies when I get there.....MIKE :)>-
33660[/snapback]

http://autorepair.about.com/library/illust.../bl281a-lib.htm

&/or by our pal Ryan:

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/public/in...witch_84-86.jpg

seems there is some confusion of location in late 80's between the above Links

& as Seabronc wrote; they do go bad at times:

http://www.supermotors.org/clubs/superford...a.php?id=178339

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
I may be wrong on the 2 fuel pumps. 89 may have been when they started using a single high pressure pump in the tank.

OP
OP
B

BroncoKID34

Reaction score
I have also heard that if the oil pressure sender goes out,or the engine loses oil pressure the fuel pump will shutoff automatically...Is this true because I noticed I have a huge oil leak.. I had a buddy crank the motor over and I realized oil and are was leaking from the oil pressure sender If I replace the sender do you think it could solve all of these problems? MIKE :)>-

bart6180

Reaction score
i have the same truck, it's under the dash on the driverside almost directly behind the brake pedal

OP
OP
B

BroncoKID34

Reaction score
I have also heard that if the oil pressure sender goes out,or the engine loses oil pressure the fuel pump will shutoff automatically...Is this true because I noticed I have a huge oil leak.. I had a buddy crank the motor over and I realized oil and are was leaking from the oil pressure sender If I replace the sender do you think it could solve all of these problems? MIKE P.S. ya'll are being very helpful. I'm 16 yrs old but know my share of auto mechanics.. Always worked on chevy this is my first Ford and also the first one I have worked on.

Seabronc

Reaction score
The oil pressure cut off switch is only on the 7.5L diesel engines. However, it wouldn't hurt to replace a leaking oil pressure sender unit. It could pump a lot out in a short time.

You have to get a meter out and trouble shoot the pump circuit.

Good luck,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar