400M swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbad79

Reaction score
i was wondering if the motor mounts were different from the 400M and the 351W. and the bellhousing too. i found an awesome 408W stroker and wanted to put it in my 78 but dont know about the mounts and bellhousing. if the mounts are differnt, are there adapters like for the 460 swaps?

freak

Reaction score
They are both different.You're going to need small block mount's and a small block C6.

Last edited by a moderator:

fordtruckman

Reaction score
destand.JPGpestand.JPGmmount.JPGsbc6.JPG

They are both different.You're going to need small block mount's and a small block C6.
27119[/snapback]

i think it's the engine stands that you'll have to change not the motor mount itself. i have all the stuff you need from a 78 the motor mounts engine stands and the small block c6 that was rebuilt. if you want them. or are interested let me know. craig

79bigbronco

Reaction score
we put a 351w in a 78 frame using 80's small blk. mounts, and a c6 . all mounted on the stock towers and used the stock crossmember. using the 1345 t/case that was attached, and changing to the correct yolk, we even used the stock driveshafts

fordtruckman

Reaction score
we put a 351w in a 78 frame using 80's small blk. mounts, and a c6 . all mounted on the stock towers and used the stock crossmember. using the 1345 t/case that was attached, and changing to the correct yolk, we even used the stock driveshafts
27153[/snapback]

what that does i create stress on the ujoint by having the engine pushed up futher out of the engine compartment. the truck may run forever like that or it may shell ujoints one right after the other you never know.

79bigbronco

Reaction score
well as the engine fits perfectly in the frame, with all the mesurements acurate, the truck has wheeled all summer, and has been driven everyday. I don't know how you could make a statement like that, engine placement has no bearing on driveshaft angle, can you send me some of what you have been smoking, thanks in advance

79bigbronco

Reaction score
nice find, as we are discusing big blk. to small blk. conversion, nothing to do with fe blk's, in a 4wd, not a 2wd. It becomes irrelivent. The engine stands in a 81 351m equipped bronco, are the same as the stands in a 84 351w equipped bronco, they are part of the frame, just as the stands in a 78/79 are

fordtruckman

Reaction score
nice find, as we are discusing big blk. to small blk. conversion, nothing to do with fe blk's, in a 4wd, not a 2wd. It becomes irrelivent. The engine stands in a 81 351m equipped bronco, are the same as the stands in a 84 351w equipped bronco, they are part of the frame, just as the stands in a 78/79 are
27214[/snapback]

we are both wrong. this is not about a sb to bb swap. of course your 351s swapped they are the same size. and your talking about years difference not engine size. thats a common thing that can be done. get an interchange manual and you can just look up what will go from one year to the next. now i thought the 408 was a bb too but it's not i found out. it may be a different engine family ie: fe or lima. but i don't know that for sure. wheather or not the motor mounts and the bellhousing will interchange with all three engines is the question before us. the bell housing for the 400 351 and the 408 will bolt up or interchange. the pics i have posted here are from a f-150 with a small block 302 if hes not interested then they are a good reference for him to look at. now if you are going to swap a sb to a bb you do have to swap stands because of the pitch even in a 4wd. yes 4wd and 2wd are different and won't interchange easily or at all. so i will not respond any more and you shouldn't either so the guy can get his question answered. oh and the fe is a big block i read one of your other posts. where you stated you didn't know or wasn't sure. if you want the last word invite me to a different topic page and we can respond there. just pm me or something.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke