3 replies to this topic

#1 sandmann999

sandmann999

Abandoned Bronco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:00 AM

I'm taking apart the 4 wheel locking hubs on the front of an 81 Bronco. I was able to remove the cap and the retaining ring, but wasn't able to disassemble it any further. My chiltons told me to remove a "stop screw" or something like that, but there's no screw to remove or anything that seems to be holding things in place. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove what's neccessary to access the wheel bearings and to remove the rotors? (2 separate jobs)
Thanks for any help.
1981 Bronco. I6 4x4. Abandoned for four years and then given to me if I could get the engine running. 7000+ miles later and still going.
Features include power steering, power brakes, and a vent!

New Upgrades, Replacements: Installed a tachometer and tripometer. New suspension including 6 new shocks, inner and outer tie rod ends, new brake disks and shoes (turned drums, rebuilt cylinders, and new shoes in the rear), radius arm bushings, control arm bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints, and rebuilt driveshafts.

#2 BK85

BK85

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:85 XL Full Size, 302FI, 4spd manual, Alloys, 31.5" BFG Long Trails, Westin Step Bars, Front Seats and Console out of an Eddy Bauer, Sounds from a Taurus. 180,000 miles without a rebuild and still kickin.

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:16 PM

NAPA sells a tool, (cheap) that looks like a large socket that goes into the hub and loosens a nut that holds the whole thing on. I can't remember the price, but if I bought it it was cheap..

BK85

#3 sandmann999

sandmann999

Abandoned Bronco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:11 PM

NAPA sells a tool, (cheap) that looks like a large socket that goes into the hub and loosens a nut that holds the whole thing on.  I can't remember the price, but if I bought it it was cheap..

BK85

View Post

THanks forf the reply, but there isn't a nut on the end of it. All there is is a threaded hole on the end of the splined axle. There aren't any nuts, retaining screws, or retaining rings anywhere in which to speak of.
It's a Warn hub, which I assume is stock (which I'm pretty sure they are.)

Thanks.
1981 Bronco. I6 4x4. Abandoned for four years and then given to me if I could get the engine running. 7000+ miles later and still going.
Features include power steering, power brakes, and a vent!

New Upgrades, Replacements: Installed a tachometer and tripometer. New suspension including 6 new shocks, inner and outer tie rod ends, new brake disks and shoes (turned drums, rebuilt cylinders, and new shoes in the rear), radius arm bushings, control arm bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints, and rebuilt driveshafts.

#4 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1300 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:34 PM

Besides the small snap ring around the axle shaft there is a large retainer ring (like 4"-5" diameter with a break in it) thats the same size as the hub. This is what holds the hub in there. Its located just in front of the hub and goes all the way around the inside hub area. Use two very small screw drivers. Find the break in the retainer and pry one end up while inserting the other under the lifted ring. Then slide the screwdriver around so it pulls out. Little hook puller work well too. Then add one or two of your hub bolts back into the hub (makes it easier to pull) so you can pull the hub out. Sometimes it takes a good pull or giggle it out. Then you can use the special socket that has the 4 prongs on the end to get the bearing nuts off.
302, NP435, NP205, HPD60, D70, 5:13 Gears, Detroits, 3/8" Diff Covers, 35 Spline Yukon Chromoly Shafts, Ator Drive Flanges, Cage 5.5" lift, Trail Ready Bead Locks, 38" SSR's, 1350 Drivelines, Ram Assist Steering, Stone Crusher Steering/ trac bar, 98" wheel base.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users