Backspacing and rim width ???????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4XFLOORED

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the exact rim width is and backspacing for the stock EB rim??????

thanks in advance

S_bolt19

Reaction score
Original rim is a 15x8 with, I think, 4.5 backspacing. They are identical to stock J**p CJ-2, 3, 5 & 7 rims.

OP
OP

4XFLOORED

Reaction score
Original rim is a 15x8 with, I think, 4.5 backspacing. They are identical to stock J**p CJ-2, 3, 5 & 7 rims.
20663[/snapback]

I have heard anywhere from 5.5" wide to 6'' to 7'' and now 8'' and 3.73'' b/s and 4/5'' b/s so if there is anyone that can help please chime in....

I have an uncut rear with 3 1/2 lift and want to use stock rims with 32'' or 33'' 9.50's ..... thanks, Milo

S_bolt19

Reaction score
like I said, the original rim is 15x8. I dont know what the backspacing is, but if you call a tire store you can find out what the backspacing is. For that matter, your local Ford dealer should be able to look that up no problem. As far as getting 32 or 33" tires on an original rim, I dont think it is a good idea because you could pop it off. It could even cause damage to the fender and axle if it does decide to come off. If you want to go with stock looking rims & caps then I would suggest getting 15x10 rims that look stock. Besides, most tire manufacturers recommend a minimum 15x10 rim for a 33" tire. You will have a hard time getting a 33x12.5 on an 8" wide rim. The other thing you can think about is if you go with a 33" tire but go narrow in width. If you want a 33x12.5 tire BFG recommends a 15x10 rim, as does Interco Tire (Super Swamper). But if you have a 33x10.5 tire (I dont know if BFG makes one but they do come in Swampers) Interco says you can use a 15x7 rim. So I guess you should decide on what size tire you want before you go buy tires.

Think of it this way, if you have a tire that is 33x10.5 on an 8" wide rim, it will have less "overhang" than if you try to cram a 33x12.5 tire on the same rim. By this I mean less sidewall will hang over the bead and you wont have the worries of puncturing a thinner tire that you would have with a wider tire.

Whoever told you 5.5 wide was completely wrong, original tire size for the Bronco was 235x75xR15 which could put you at a 6" or 7" wide rim. But I bought my EB from the original owner and he had done nothing to it except replace the tires and the original rims were still on it and they were 15x8. And I was wrong about being the same as CJ-2 & 3, those are 16x6 rims, good ole razor blades.

STLKIKN

Reaction score
SOME early EBs came with 15x6 or 16x6 wheels... almost all other (later) came with 15x7s. Virtually any (completely stock) uncut Bronco will rub the tires if they are mounted on an 8 inch wheel.

You can run 15 x7 wheels with 33x9.50 15s (these will be factory aluminum Ford or Dodge wheels, or steel CJ7 wheels from the 70s and 80's...)

31 10.5s on a seven inch factory J**p steel wheel, with 3.5" of lift will fit... BUT

you may find that they hit under cornering if you hit a bump at the same time.

(personal experience...)

A 33x9.5 on a 7" wheel should work for you, but I do not know if a 33 10.5 will work under your truck without mods to the rear fender lip.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

4XFLOORED

Reaction score
SOME  early EBs came with 15x6 or 16x6 wheels... almost all other (later) came with 15x7s. Virtually any (completely stock) uncut Bronco will rub the tires if they are mounted on an 8 inch wheel.You can run 15 x7 wheels with 33x9.50 15s (these will be factory aluminum Ford or Dodge wheels, or steel CJ7 wheels from the 70s and 80's...)

31 10.5s on a seven inch factory J**p steel wheel, with 3.5" of lift will fit... BUT

(personal experience...)

A 33x9.5 on a 7" wheel should work for you, but I do not know if a 33 10.5 will work under your truck without mods to the rear fender lip.

20695[/snapback]

DO YOU KNOW OF ANY 33-9.50 'S? I HEARD THAT BFG A/T WERE DISCONTINUED :blink:

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Last I knew of you are correct BFG has gone to 33x 10.5, up here in Canada there are still some jobber brands that carry a 33x 9.5.

If you call your local tire shops they should be able to find something in a size that will suit your needs.

You may need to go to a metric size equivalent, or even change up to a 16" wheel.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
I was curious about that 9.5 tire width and looked all the major tire brands and the only one that has a 33x9.5x15 is BFG. It is the BFG A/T at around $130/per tire.

Interco (Super Swamper) has 2 tires that are close to that size: SSTSL - Narrow at 34x9.5x15 at about $150/per and the SSTSL at 32x9.5x15 at $125/per.

Those look to be your only nation wide tire options. Like STLKIKN said, you might be able to find a small regional company who carries something like that.

OP
OP

4XFLOORED

Reaction score
SOME  early EBs came with 15x6 or 16x6 wheels... almost all other (later) came with 15x7s. Virtually any (completely stock) uncut Bronco will rub the tires if they are mounted on an 8 inch wheel.You can run 15 x7 wheels with 33x9.50 15s (these will be factory aluminum Ford or Dodge wheels, or steel CJ7 wheels from the 70s and 80's...)

(personal experience...)

20695[/snapback]

I JUST GOT MY BRONCO AND IT HAS WHITE SPOKE 8" 30/10.50'S.... IT CURRENTLY HAS JD 3.5" LIFT AND IS UNCUT.. I WANT TO KEEP IT UNCUT, SO DO YOU THINK A 7" FORD ALUMINUM W/ 33.10.50 WOULD CLEAR WHILE AT FULL STUFF WITH ME ROLLING THE INSIDE LIP????? OR WILL IT DAMAGE MY FENDERS???? THANKS, MILO

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Milo,

I can not guarantee that the 33 x10.5 will fit. As I stated before, from personal experience, my uncut 77 with 31 10.5 on 7" wheels would occasionally rub the rolled fender lip. It didn't damage the fender, but it did do some damage to the tires.

Your best bet is to go to your local friendly tire shop and test fit the wheel and tire combo that you choose.

If they want to make the sale they will mount one up for a test fit.

OP
OP

4XFLOORED

Reaction score
Milo,I can not guarantee that the 33 x10.5 will fit. As I stated before, from personal experience, my uncut 77 with 31 10.5 on 7" wheels would occasionally rub the rolled fender lip. It didn't damage the fender, but it did do some damage to the tires.

Your best bet is to go to your local friendly tire shop and test fit the wheel and tire combo that you choose.

20753[/snapback]

Out of curiousity did you have a lift at all????

thanks, MILO

OP
OP

4XFLOORED

Reaction score
Milo,I can not guarantee that the 33 x10.5 will fit. As I stated before, from personal experience, my uncut 77 with 31 10.5 on 7" wheels would occasionally rub the rolled fender lip. It didn't damage the fender, but it did do some damage to the tires.

20753[/snapback]

Out of curiousity did you have a lift at all????

thanks, MILO

STLKIKN

Reaction score
77 Bronco 3.5" lift (new rear springs) 31x 10.5 on 15x7 steel wheels...

the close up is after the springs settled.

77right.jpg

close_up.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

4XFLOORED

Reaction score
77 Bronco 3.5" lift (new rear springs) 31x 10.5 on 15x7 steel wheels...the close up is after the springs settled.

20760[/snapback]

thanks for the pics's nice Bronco by the way...

oh yea, did you have to roll the inner lip on the rear??

S_bolt19

Reaction score
before I cut mine, I had 31s and they rubbed on the 8" rims. I had to watch the rolled fender lip too, I popped a tire because something got caught between the tire and fender (a pebble maybe) and pulled the lip out a little and it sliced my sidewall. No damage was taken to the fender, but it was a pain in the **** changing tires on an inclined trail. I did have a 3.5" suspension lift.

The other thing that you could do, and I dont know why neither STLKIKN or I thought of this before, you could put a 3.5 suspension lift and combo it with a 1 or 2" body lift. That should give you better clearance. I dont know how well it will work cause I dont have a body lift and never did. Just another option.

You could also call the guys at either Wild Horses or BC Broncos and they could tell you for sure.

OP
OP

4XFLOORED

Reaction score
before I cut mine, I had 31s and they rubbed on the 8" rims. I had to watch the rolled fender lip too, I popped a tire because something got caught between the tire and fender (a pebble maybe) and pulled the lip out a little and it sliced my sidewall. No damage was taken to the fender, but it was a pain in the **** changing tires on an inclined trail. I did have a 3.5" suspension lift.
The other thing that you could do, and I dont know why neither STLKIKN or I thought of this before, you could put a 3.5 suspension lift and combo it with a 1 or 2" body lift. That should give you better clearance. I dont know how well it will work cause I dont have a body lift and never did.  Just another option.

You could also call the guys at either Wild Horses or BC Broncos and they could tell you for sure.

20769[/snapback]

I would consider a 1" lift I would really like to run a 33" tire w/o cutting but in the end I very well may cut we'll see...

STLKIKN

Reaction score
The fender lips had to be rolled on the 77...

That body is now just a memory.

The truck was sold a couple of years ago, the new

owner is just about ready to install a rotiserried pre 68 tub.

BASE861

The Big Nothin'
Reaction score
I have 16x7 and Futura Mud Terrain 245/75R16's on my uncut '74 with a 2" Duff lift and they work fine with only a little rubbing in the front on the track bars. My wheels are AR-767's and they have 4" of backspacing. The tires work out to be 31x10x16 actual size. Other brands might be different actual sizes. There is about 3/4" in between the tire and the fender lip but I could trim a little to make more room.

OP
OP

4XFLOORED

Reaction score
I have 16x7 and Futura Mud Terrain 245/75R16's on my uncut '74 with a 2" Duff lift and they work fine with only a little rubbing in the front on the track bars. My wheels are AR-767's and they have 4" of backspacing. The tires work out to be 31x10x16 actual size. Other brands might be different actual sizes. There is about 3/4" in between the tire and the fender lip but I could trim a little to make more room.
21010[/snapback]

Thank you, thats great and helpfull information, I think I will be keeping it uncut

here is a photo...

78858547_1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno